Super Bowl LVIII (58)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
talked to a niner friend yesterday - pretty sane guy - convinced it was rigged as all hell
Ask him why the Niners got the benefit of a huge defensive holding penalty on the Chiefs D on 3rd down when it looked like the Niners were gonna go 3 and out on their first possession of OT? If it was rigged, why in the world would the refs extend that first OT drive to help the Niners and hurt the Chiefs?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Ask him why the Niners got the benefit of a huge defensive holding penalty on the Chiefs D on 3rd down when it looked like the Niners were gonna go 3 and out on their first possession of OT? If it was rigged, why in the world would the refs extend that first OT drive to help the Niners and hurt the Chiefs?
gonna give him some before we delve into that splendidness

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Come on Cheese, you're a writer. Had to get the extra drama of Mahomes having to get a TD instead of just a FG to win it. The Chiefs drive wouldn't have been as intense without the 49er FG. It was the final obstacle in the hero's journey. ;)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Cheese, you're a writer. Had to get the extra drama of Mahomes having to get a TD instead of just a FG to win it. The Chiefs drive wouldn't have been as intense without the 49er FG. It was the final obstacle in the hero's journey. ;)

It was one of the later drafts we came up with for the exact reason you mentioned. That particular ref was reluctant at first, but we had a little "chat" through his implant and he decided to do the right thing. There was a slight malfunction in the ball's remote control signal for a moment, but we were able to re-connect just in time to assure the kick was good. I don't think anyone realizes how stressful World domination really is.

-The NFLuminati

P.S. @BirdGangThing Tell your loudmouth friend he's on our radar. #underhiseye

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Eh I think player for player, SF is better. KC might have a better overall OL and secondary but every other position SF is better, and in some cases, substantially.

Receivers. Hands down SF is a lot better.
RB. Again, a lot better.
OL. Debatable.
DL. SF has a ton of front line talent and good backups to boot.
LB. SF again is better. Warner is a great player and Greenlaw is pretty good too.
Secondary. KC gets the edge but SFs secondary is solid as well.
Points well made and I don’t disagree with SF’s talent. They definitely have some household names. I still think KC is the better overall team. Beating Buffalo, Baltimore, and SF 3 in a row is what does it for me. Also have to give credit to KC having a better edge in coaching on both sides of the ball over SF. Another factor that I will concede is Warner’s injury. That definitely changed a lot for SF as the game progressed. Very unfortunate.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Points well made and I don’t disagree with SF’s talent. They definitely have some household names. I still think KC is the better overall team. Beating Buffalo, Baltimore, and SF 3 in a row is what does it for me. Also have to give credit to KC having a better edge in coaching on both sides of the ball over SF. Another factor that I will concede is Warner’s injury. That definitely changed a lot for SF as the game progressed. Very unfortunate.
Reid and Shanahan are pretty damn close.

The difference is QB play. Purdy is probably in the 15-20 range of QB talent. Having All Pros all around him masques that fact to some degree. If Purdy even has a good game, the Niners run away with that game because they certainly could have in the first half. Purdy just failed to deliver.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

The difference is QB play. Purdy is probably in the 15-20 range of QB talent. Having All Pros all around him masques that fact to some degree. If Purdy even has a good game, the Niners run away with that game because they certainly could have in the first half. Purdy just failed to deliver.
nah man...K9 posted a ranking list...it was definitive.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I didn’t think mahomes had a great game either. I thought both QB’s were very conservative all game and made plays when they had to late. KC had the ball last. Shanahan is a great coach, but should have kicked the ball in OT. Some of his players said that they didn’t know the rules so that means shanahan most likely didn’t discuss it with them before hand like Reid obviously did with his players who were even questioning SF right after the game ended. I still give the edge to Reid and spagnolo. Proof is in the winning and I think purdy is better than he gets credit for, but he’s nowhere near mahomes. No one is. There’s mahomes and everyone else.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can only imagine similar conversations were happening around a young Tom Brady.

Purdy is a legit top 10 QB.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what difference it makes?

The old rules were 1st team to score a TD wins. That was still the Chiefs. Even under the old rules if Niners kicked a FG the Chiefs can still drive for a TD to win. Which is what happened.
This might help. They wanted to ball first because of the old rule.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison