Who Starts Week 1 at Wide Receiver?

Who are the Starting WRs Week 1?

• Troy Franklin (First-round pick)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roman Wilson, MI (Second-day pick)

• Ja'Lynn Polk, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Jaylan McMillan, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
@Stout I got an oof from you, but wondering why. Do you think Wilson's worth replacing one year later?

I have this feeling everyone wants to replace him immediately, but he's a guy who had nearly 600 yards in 12 starts. He's a 3rd rounder. It's not my first time asking this, but are we just looking to replace him after year one? I'm hoping it's not a replica of the Keim era, where we spend draft capital, then never let them see the field by burying them with a free agent or a top pick next year.

Not that I'm saying to avoid drafting wideouts and count on him on as #1 or anything.

We're hoping Wilson can be a capable starter. That's dangerous.

Doesn't matter anyway if we don't fix the defense Solar7.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yea, I don’t get it either.

McBride-MHJ-Wilson-Dortch is a solid group, though I’m confident they’ll draft another WR on Day 2 to insert there.
I think it’s a promising group. Fitz-Boldin-Breaston was a solid group.

I think the McBride hype train is getting a little out of control based on a handful of really really good games where he was the only passing option.

I have a hard time imagining a playoff offense starting Greg Dortch.

Also don’t think we get MHJ.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want to replace him but counting on him to be a #2 would be a huuuge mistake if we want the Cards competing. Maybe he's up for it, or maybe he's not ready for that yet. Get one of the top 2 as well as a legit #2 and let Wilson be a little down the depth chart.

Also, it's oof to have Dortch starting. I like him as a depth guy but absolutely not starting.

Where do we get a "legit #2"?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s a promising group. Fitz-Boldin-Breaston was a solid group.

I think the McBride hype train is getting a little out of control based on a handful of really really good games where he was the only passing option.

I have a hard time imagining a playoff offense starting Greg Dortch.

Also don’t think we get MHJ.

Trey finish 2nd in yards per route run for all TEs last year. Behind only Kelce.

He led all TEs in YPRR with Kyler back. I think the hype is fair.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Where do we get a "legit #2"?
Why don't you tell me? You're the one who preaches "the offseason isn't over yet" all the time. My stance is that Monti has painted himself into a corner with the WR room because we have two big holes at the top of the depth chart there. So how does Monti fix it, in your eyes?

My view is that Monti thinks the room only needs one guy, which I think is incorrect. My worry is that Monti doesn't think it needs to be a Big John.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why don't you tell me? You're the one who preaches "the offseason isn't over yet" all the time. My stance is that Monti has painted himself into a corner with the WR room because we have two big holes at the top of the depth chart there. So how does Monti fix it, in your eyes?

My view is that Monti thinks the room only needs one guy, which I think is incorrect. My worry is that Monti doesn't think it needs to be a Big John.

No he hasn't.

Monti just knows that Wilson is a legit #2 and doesn't need another.

Reaction score
I would love to get MHJ & then trade back up to get Odunze but we have too many other holes to fill. I'd rather sign D.J. Chark & draft MHJ. We would have

MHJ, Chark, Wilson, Dortch, & McBride.

Chark would only be about $5mil/year so he would be cheap enough. He's also 6'3''.

edit: He also has 4.34 speed. ;)

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No he hasn't.

Monti just knows that Wilson is a legit #2 and doesn't need another.
Wilson a legit #2? Nothing qualifies for him to even be a legit #3 at this point… we need a 1 and a number 2. If we don’t get both this off-season, I’ll just laugh. Will represent no faith in kyler. Literally every relevant QB in this league has a legit 1/2. Except maybe Mahomes but he has the best statistical TE of all time and Andy Reid.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think that Dortch will be a starter. I feel they will draft 2 WRs on days 1 @ 2 and they will be starters along with Wilson. I also think that Chris Moore may see more playing time than Dortch. Monti and Gannon have gone on record liking tall receivers. Moore is 6'1" while Dortch is 5'7". They let both Hollywood and Rondal Moore go who are short wrs. They may draft either MHJ or Odunze both are 6' 3" or over. They like size. Just my opinion. :shrug:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to get MHJ & then trade back up to get Odunze but we have too many other holes to fill. I'd rather sign D.J. Chark & draft MHJ. We would have

MHJ, Chark, Wilson, Dortch, & McBride.

Chark would only be about $5mil/year so he would be cheap enough. He's also 6'3''.

edit: He also has 4.34 speed. ;)

Chark has been cooked since he did his ankle in 21.

Mike Wilson had more yards in less snaps last year.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why so few votes for Chris Moore?? Admittedly I don't have the book on the guy, but by all indications, he appeared to me a solid veteran who could step in as the # 2 to MHJ, Rome or Malik and give us something. If he's nothing more than a Pascal or a Quez Watkins type player, I'd be happier drafting an under the radar player in the later rounds to up the competition levels. My real hope is that Wilson is ready but I'm not so sure about that. Somebody tell me if I overdid it there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wilson a legit #2? Nothing qualifies for him to even be a legit #3 at this point… we need a 1 and a number 2. If we don’t get both this off-season, I’ll just laugh. Will represent no faith in kyler. Literally every relevant QB in this league has a legit 1/2. Except maybe Mahomes but he has the best statistical TE of all time and Andy Reid.

I mean, if rookies and year 2 players only got snaps based on solely what they did on the field they would obviously never play. If the team had this attitude with Trey McBride he wouldn't have thrived last year.

The team see Wilson in practice and in meetings all the time. They know what they have far more than you do.

What do you want to do? Blow a bunch of money on someone like Brandin Cooks, Jordan Addison, Gabe Davis, or Courtland Sutton type and set back Wilson development?

This isn't how you build a team, by obstructing your young talent.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Trey finish 2nd in yards per route run for all TEs last year. Behind only Kelce.

He led all TEs in YPRR with Kyler back. I think the hype is fair.
Why is this a meaningful metric aside from how it puts Trey’s name next to Kelce’s?

Stout

Reaction score
Why so few votes for Chris Moore?? Admittedly I don't have the book on the guy, but by all indications, he appeared to me a solid veteran who could step in as the # 2 to MHJ, Rome or Malik and give us something. If he's nothing more than a Pascal or a Quez Watkins type player, I'd be happier drafting an under the radar player in the later rounds to up the competition levels. My real hope is that Wilson is ready but I'm not so sure about that. Somebody tell me if I overdid it there.
What gave you that impression?

Stout

Reaction score
I mean, if rookies and year 2 players only got snaps based on solely what they did on the field they would obviously never play. If the team had this attitude with Trey McBride he wouldn't have thrived last year.

The team see Wilson in practice and in meetings all the time. They know what they have far more than you do.

What do you want to do? Blow a bunch of money on someone like Brandin Cooks, Jordan Addison, Gabe Davis, or Courtland Sutton type and set back Wilson development?

This isn't how you build a team, by obstructing your young talent.
Wilson doesn't need to start to develop. He will still get plenty of snaps. Plus, if you bring in a solid older vet, there's no harm done if Wilson surpasses and supplants the guy. If Wilson doesn't end up being #2 material, then you have cover at the position. We all hope he takes the next step next year, but it's no guarantee.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is this a meaningful metric aside from how it puts Trey’s name next to Kelce’s?

I think you answered it when you said it was next to Kelce’ and sandwiched by Kittle, Andrews and Hockenson.

All the best TEs in the league are at the top of this metric.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wilson doesn't need to start to develop. He will still get plenty of snaps. Plus, if you bring in a solid older vet, there's no harm done if Wilson surpasses and supplants the guy. If Wilson doesn't end up being #2 material, then you have cover at the position. We all hope he takes the next step next year, but it's no guarantee.

There's no harm done... except you blow a bunch of cap space on a guy to take 30% snap share.

I have to ask. What type of guy are you envisioning here that's a "solid older vet" that would cost so little money we wouldn't mind if it was a waste? Doesn't have to be FA.

Stout

Reaction score
There's no harm done... except you blow a bunch of cap space on a guy to take 30% snap share.

I have to ask. What type of guy are you envisioning here that's a "solid older vet" that would cost so little money we wouldn't mind if it was a waste? Doesn't have to be FA.
Ah, the panicky "but we must protect our cap space!" reply. Boyd wouldn't break the bank in the least. I'm sure you don't want the team to fork out that much, but that's of no consideration to helping the team and building a better roster.

Otherwise, Monti has mostly let the market pass him by. I wouldn't be adverse to double-dipping in the draft, however, and playing "let the best man win the #2" role either. It's riskier but also has great potential rewards as well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah, the panicky "but we must protect our cap space!" reply. Boyd wouldn't break the bank in the least. I'm sure you don't want the team to fork out that much, but that's of no consideration to helping the team and building a better roster.

Otherwise, Monti has mostly let the market pass him by. I wouldn't be adverse to double-dipping in the draft, however, and playing "let the best man win the #2" role either. It's riskier but also has great potential rewards as well.

How would double dipping for an unproven day 2 prospect be better than Wilson?

Tyler Boyd plays 80% slot and had 6 yards per game less than Wilson last year, and he had Joe Burrow. Wilson mostly had Dobbs.

And I'm not saying we should protect cap space but no team should waste it.