2024 2nd round pick #43 is Max Melton CB

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, JG seemed pretty pumped for it to be just a guy that they could live with. Don't know any better than anyone else on here, but just like we all have different opinions, so do NFL teams. They may have figured that they liked Melton better than some other teams and that those other CBs would go first and they could trade down and still have a good shot at him. Only time will tell but I'm also an optimist. For now, I'll also take Harry, etcs. word until we see otherwise.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said (maybe in another thread), because he picked a CB right after a run on CBs. I can't be any more correct than Krang (who isn't correct, no matter the poo he spews), but that's what it appears to me. If he went with a different position I could've bought that he had a range of players all rated the same.
That is a good point, but that doesn't mean he got the worst one of the bunch either.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this pick. :) I'm not sure which of our two corner picks I like more. Glad they both have good athleticism. :thumbup:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So you're 100 percent certain he didn't trade back and miss out on the player he really wanted? Sure. You're omniscient. I'm looking at the board and at other corners I think are better. I couldn't care less about mocks.
There is a video clip of Melton before the drafted saying he feels pretty certain he will be drafted by the Cardinals.
Monti didn't miss out on anybody. Melton was the guy all along...we just moved back a little and scored an extra pick

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was a great pick. Happy with this one.

I would have stuck and picked Newton as I think he's going to be a stud but that doesn't detract from Melton who's a very good CB.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line - Cardinals could have picked any CB on the board with 2nd round pick.

They knew who they wanted and moved down to get them.

Monti is playing chess.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted Newton as well but the Cardinals passed on him twice.

Yup Monti set himself up here for a loss.

Not only did he pass on Newton in the trade back he lost DeJean, McKinstry and Lassiter.

If Newton is a year 1 stud or a couple of these CB's turn out better than Melton it's going to be hard to defend.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not only did he pass on Newton in the trade back he lost DeJean, McKinstry and Lassiter.

If Newton is a year 1 stud or a couple of these CB's turn out better than Melton it's going to be hard to defend.
And on the flipside if Melton turns out to be great, Monty will get little credit. They’ll just say he lucked into it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would add Cooper to that list. Personally, I think he's going to be very good to great.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Round 2: No. 43 (from Atlanta Falcons): Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

My take: The Cardinals let some of the draft's top cornerbacks go off the board before taking Melton, who will join a young cornerbacks room. At 5-foot-11, Melton has the quickness to enter the fray rather quickly. He's one of two defensive backs to run a sub-4.3 40 at the NFL combine. But Arizona needed help at corner, and Melton will provide that in some way, shape or form. He has a nose for the ball with eight picks in the last three seasons and -- if needed -- he can play special teams, where he blocked three kicks in 2022.

Is this pick for depth or does it fill a hole?: This is another pick that fits both. The Cardinals needed help at cornerback after giving up 32 passing touchdowns [30th in the NFL] and a 69% completion percentage to wide receivers (31st in the league) last season. Melton will have stiff competition to win a starting job; Sean Murphy-Bunting, Kei'Trel Clark and Garrett Williams are all either returners or signed this offseason and expected to be in the mix for a starting job.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison