So... 2024 UDFAs?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Future contracts do count towards the 90 max. They can be cut and open up a space on the 90 mx roster.
This is from the league:
A “futures contract” means the team holds the rights to a player, but the player does not count towards the active roster until the start of the league new year in March, when the roster expands to 90 players.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You know the draft class is weak when 6 of the first 12 picks are QBs.
The NFL is a QB league and there are a lot of QB openings.
The 1st defensive player doesn't get drafted until the 15th pick.
This draft didn't have really any elite defenders.

My buddy is a Rams fan and he is convinced that Verse is elite. I laughed at him.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm thinking return man as the new rules ups the need for return man.
Agree. It will also up the need for D-players who can deal with and/or avoid blocks and get to the return man. No more fair catches. No one moves until the ball is caught. Yikes. Sounds exciting and putting the right guys on the return team can lead to a quick six points if the return guy can find a seam and go. Ditto the D---need guys who can swarm to the returner after dealing with any blocker. NFL had 2000 dead kickoff plays last season with the ball not being returned. Now, every kick has a chance of being returned. That single rule change might be a way for a weak team to stay in the game (or a superior team to put up even more pts.) Will have to watch the kickoff plays now instead of running to the fridge for snacks or the head.

Might explain the extra # of DBs brought in by the Cards at the bottom of the draft.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
According to NFL.com, "There are nearly 500 undrafted players currently in the NFL (486 undrafted players made Week 1 53-man rosters)." So, there are plenty of gems if you can sift through them.

The immediate difference between being a low-round drafted player and a UDFA is the size of the signing bonus for the drafted guy. The advantage to the UDFA is they have the right to choose where they go. Looks like Monti evaluated the talent-level in the lower rounds and made the decision to just draft guys who---in a more talented draft---would have been there as UDFA. He locked up the guys he wanted and did not allow other teams to entice them to try out for on their roster should they end up UDFA.

Look at the comments as the draft progressed---plenty of 'that guy would be there as a UDFA' except Monti drafted him instead.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DT Fabien Lovett, Florida State
NT Evan Anderson, Florida Atlantic
DT Keith Randolph, Illinois
EDGE Gabriel Murphy, UCLA
EDGE Braiden McGregor, Michigan

Bring them all in, and see what happens at a tryout.
Yes on Murphy!

I'd bring in all edge rushers, personally. See if lightning strikes.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to NFL.com, "There are nearly 500 undrafted players currently in the NFL (486 undrafted players made Week 1 53-man rosters)." So, there are plenty of gems if you can sift through them.

The immediate difference between being a low-round drafted player and a UDFA is the size of the signing bonus for the drafted guy. The advantage to the UDFA is they have the right to choose where they go. Looks like Monti evaluated the talent-level in the lower rounds and made the decision to just draft guys who---in a more talented draft---would have been there as UDFA. He locked up the guys he wanted and did not allow other teams to entice them to try out for on their roster should they end up UDFA.
You must be registered for see images attach

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Gabriel Murphy is a good get. He’s got a solid motor and is technically sound. I think he at least makes Practice Squad. I’m a little concerned about too many Edge rushers that need development. This guy just needs a little polish to be a decent rotational player.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We're already over the 90 man limit, even though we can cut players. Might happen but, imo, it won't be many.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Myles Murphy will have to get in the best shape of his life to last through training camp. Seems remote.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Myles Murphy will have to get in the best shape of his life to last through training camp. Seems remote.
Training camp isn't what it used to be. Most of the practices are jogging around in shorts.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Gabriel Murphy is a good get. He’s got a solid motor and is technically sound. I think he at least makes Practice Squad. I’m a little concerned about too many Edge rushers that need development. This guy just needs a little polish to be a decent rotational player.
For clarity sake, Myles Murphy is who we reportedly signed. Gabriel Murphy was reportedly signed by the Vikings.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison