Biggest Draft Disappointments

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You mean X (Split End) or Z (Flanker) role. Y is the TE and usually refers to an inline TE, though it can also be used for the slot receiver.
Man, I've been using this wrong for years. That said, I think so have a lot of my friends, people I know, and even my HS coaches.

@Chopper0080 I don't disagree that the Cardinals will likely need a better #3 WR.

But I think in the short run, Dortch can work as a #3 in the short run. He's going to be a possession slot guy, and little else. I'm just excited that the team isn't going to try and foisr up Moore as viable NFL player, because Dortch is clearly better.

Next off season some team's fans are going to be excited about signing Greg Dortch.

And I think if we are looking for a real solution to the #3 WR, none of the fourth round guys are going to be actual NFL players. The chances are pretty slim, not that much greater than Palmer.
Agreed. I want to solidify my stance with everyone, and clarify that I don't think Dortch solves any long term problems at the position for the Cards, but for right now he's good enough.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I do want to address the "top 3 receivers in the top 3 rounds" thing. Using this as my guide: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ft-texans-atop-list-after-stefon-diggs-trade/

That's a top 12 trios ranking (but before the draft so I tried to slot some guys in). Imperfectly, it appears to me that only 3 teams will be fielding a top 3 they drafted in the top 3 rounds. The Bengals, Seahawks, Buccaneers, and 49ers. Maybe there's some others I'm missing (the Packers came to mind but no). And even then, for those four teams, those picks are pretty spread out.

I know there's technically fluidity here as more teams probably have a medley of top-3 rounders but I don't really count it when you trade a bunch of picks for them or sign them in FA.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agreed. I want to solidify my stance with everyone, and clarify that I don't think Dortch solves any long term problems at the position for the Cards, but for right now he's good enough.
Good enough for what kind of team? A team that aspires to eight wins?

I agree that we probably didn't need to invest another good draft pick in the WR position -- we need to be able to sign free agent WRs better than Zach Pascal or develop better ones from later draft picks.

But being comfortable with Greg Dortch seeing a ton of snaps and being one injury away from being a starter? You should expect more.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Except... he didn't really struggle. He played pretty well for a 3rd round rookie.

I guess, answer me this... would you rather give up on Wilson? Like, wish we didn't draft him? I guess I can see the argument if you really don't think the guy has what it takes or will ever develop past what we saw, whether that's on account of injury or just skill. I've been there with players.
I reject your all or nothing logic. Just because some posters wanted another WR doesn't mean giving up on Wilson. That's a terrible argument you're making.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reject your all or nothing logic. Just because some posters wanted another WR doesn't mean giving up on Wilson. That's a terrible argument you're making.
Yeah… I don’t get the idea that a third round WR means we’re giving up on Wilson. To me, that looks like you’re trying to solidify your third WR spot and creating more depth, pushing Dortch to 4, and doing so partly because we need to hedge on Wilson because of his durability issues.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah… I don’t get the idea that a third round WR means we’re giving up on Wilson. To me, that looks like you’re trying to solidify your third WR spot and creating more depth, pushing Dortch to 4, and doing so partly because we need to hedge on Wilson because of his durability issues.
Did we give up on Garrett Williams because we drafted two corners on day 2?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Good enough for what kind of team? A team that aspires to eight wins?

I agree that we probably didn't need to invest another good draft pick in the WR position -- we need to be able to sign free agent WRs better than Zach Pascal or develop better ones from later draft picks.

But being comfortable with Greg Dortch seeing a ton of snaps and being one injury away from being a starter? You should expect more.
Well, yes, I don't anticipate winning much more than 8 games, Dortch or not.

It really depends on the type of WR drafted. If you draft a typical outside WR, it's a problem. More of a shifty slot guy? That's different.

I think I'm having a snap reaction to the constant redrafting of positions with Keim every year, and guys sitting on the bench with no chance to develop.

In a sense, yes. Does Williams start over Murphy-Bunting or Melton? I'd say it's unlikely. He'll be competing against those guys, and battling Jones for playing time. A Kei'Trel Clark is likely to not even make the roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It really depends on the type of WR drafted. If you draft a typical outside WR, it's a problem. More of a shifty slot guy? That's different.
This is a false distinction. All good outside WRs can play from the slot. Many slot receivers struggle on the outside.

Just take a good WR.
Does Williams start over Murphy-Bunting or Melton? I'd say it's unlikely.

All three can start. Most teams play 3WR as a base set. He should probably start outside and shift SMB to the slot where he was best.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo. We addressed a glaring need there while ignoring another... while loaded with a war chest of picks. Just kinda a head scratching to me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Reading through this thread...
Holy crap! Are y'all telling me that our offensive production may suffer if we lose a starter to injury?
Holy crap...I can't believe Monti let us get into this situation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Chiefs were really dumb not to take Spencer Rattler, because if Mahomes gets hurt they are screwed.

-Chiefs darksider (if they even exist at this point)
Holy crap! Are y'all telling me that our offensive production may suffer if we lose a starter to injury?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Except... he didn't really struggle. He played pretty well for a 3rd round rookie.

I guess, answer me this... would you rather give up on Wilson? Like, wish we didn't draft him? I guess I can see the argument if you really don't think the guy has what it takes or will ever develop past what we saw, whether that's on account of injury or just skill. I've been there with players.
I’d of put Wilson or the rookie in the slot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Chiefs were really dumb not to take Spencer Rattler, because if Mahomes gets hurt they are screwed.

A couple of critiques here...

1 - This thread is titled draft disappointments. The title implies it is a thread where people can voice where they were disappointed with the draft (even if most liked it as a whole). To come into this thread and mock the concerns and areas of disappointment voiced by posters is borderline trolling IMO.

2 - Equating the impact to the Cardinals losing any player to the impact of the Chiefs losing Mahomes is next level, disingenuous snark.

Be better.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You aren't reading it correctly then. The statement is that instead of a backup CB at pick 90, there are those who would prefer a backup WR. For a variety of reasons.

Your mocking of those participating in a critique thread is troll level behavior.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, yes, I don't anticipate winning much more than 8 games, Dortch or not.

I think I'm having a snap reaction to the constant redrafting of positions with Keim every year, and guys sitting on the bench with no chance to develop.

In a sense, yes. Does Williams start over Murphy-Bunting or Melton? I'd say it's unlikely. He'll be competing against those guys, and battling Jones for playing time. A Kei'Trel Clark is likely to not even make the roster.

Williams is likely to slot in at nickel as he did last season.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

No, the Falcons were really dumb not to take Rattler as the heir apparent after Michael Penix, Jr who is the heir apparent after Kirk Cousins.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A couple of critiques here...

1 - This thread is titled draft disappointments. The title implies it is a thread where people can voice where they were disappointed with the draft (even if most liked it as a whole). To come into this thread and mock the concerns and areas of disappointment voiced by posters is borderline trolling IMO.

2 - Equating the impact to the Cardinals losing any player to the impact of the Chiefs losing Mahomes is next level, disingenuous snark.

Be better.
That was the point, though.

Any team losing a star player for a good part of the season can essentially sink a year.

It was snark for effect.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You aren't reading it correctly then. The statement is that instead of a backup CB at pick 90, there are those who would prefer a backup WR. For a variety of reasons.

Your mocking of those participating in a critique thread is troll level behavior.
As bad as the Cardinals are at WR, you could argue they were worse at CB. Coming into the season, the Cardinals had ZERO starters at outside corner (I think Williams is basically a starter at NCB).

They signed SMB and filled out the depth chart with the draft.

WR at least had SOME NFL talent. Not much but you had Wilson, Dortch, and Chris Moore.

If you only draft Melton, you still have a big hole at the backup outside CB position, which as we have seen over the, oh I don't know the past decade, that can be a pretty big hole.

I agree there was two holes, but CB was still a bigger hole.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort