Falcons Penix/Cousins Debacle. What say you?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Seems like a bad move all around to me. I’m not a big Kirk Cousins guy. He got too much money guaranteed for a guy coming off an Achilles. I like Penix but his injury history would have made me steer clear, let alone trade up for. I think Odunze had a lot to do with his success this year. He’s good, but was he really that good? I dunno.
Pretty much a huge buzzkill for Atlanta.
But who knows. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but three lefts do.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They were more stupid for giving Cousins 100 million guaranteed IMO. With as many QBs that went down last year, including Cousins, it was probably a wise move.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
NFL owners can afford it
It's not about affording it, it is the signal they are giving the whole organization that winning now isn't a priority. It specifically sends a message to Cousins that it's not about winning right now with him. It's just a weird move IMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Am I the only one not seeing the fault in Atlanta’s drafting of Penix that so many others plate outraged over?
Atlanta can move on from Cousins easily in two seasons.

QB is far more valuable than any other position and it's not particularly close. I think the front office people who have been around Atlanta and have braved the post-Ryan wilderness want to set the team up to be stocked at QB for a long time.

Initially I thought it was a terrible idea, but Penix can sit and learn and be the successor to Cousins. It's a long term projection and could be a next level thinking move.

If Pennix is the starting QB and is a good player in 2026, this will be an outstanding move.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think it was a solid move. insurance for kirks health and sets the team up long term at QB...with the added benefit of not having to deal with rookie issues when Penix gets to start.

if Penix is ready sooner, they can trade kirk in a couple years for a 6th or something. But QB opportunities do not come around often. strike when you can.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Quarterback is the most valuable position
Agree. NLF went through 66 starting QBs last---that shows the need for having QB1 and QB2 on the roster. It wasn't that long ago that teams would draft their QBOF several years before their starter was going to retire. The newbie would sit on the bench, learn the game, and come in fully prepared. The Packers have continued that tradition from Favre to Rogers to Love. In the 'win-now' NFL, QBs are not often afforded that sit-and-learn approach but become starters Day 1 as a pro---often to the detriment of their careers.

Here's where it gets puzzling with Atlanta. They signed an older Cousins who is coming off an Achilles to a large contract and turned around and signed a young QB Penix with a medical history that looks like a car accident victim. Both Cousins and Penix have injuries that would normally be career-ending. Cousins has been remarkably injury-free over his career---it is his age + Achilles that is concerning (all signs look good on his recovery)

Here's Penix injury history:

Here's Cousin's history:

This move looks to be one by the owner---getting old in the tooth and probably hedging his bets on returning to the SB and getting a win. He also is applying the 'old-school' approach of stocking the roster with a QB-in-waiting. Even with the puzzling move, Atlanta still has some solid pieces on the roster---but still lacking a few pieces to get to the SB. If Cousins gets them into the playoffs and more, the move will be positive with a QBOTF on the bench. If Cousins falters, Atlanta will catch some grief for not going D with the pick

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agree. NLF went through 66 starting QBs last---that shows the need for having QB1 and QB2 on the roster. It wasn't that long ago that teams would draft their QBOF several years before their starter was going to retire. The newbie would sit on the bench, learn the game, and come in fully prepared. The Packers have continued that tradition from Favre to Rogers to Love. In the 'win-now' NFL, QBs are not often afforded that sit-and-learn approach but become starters Day 1 as a pro---often to the detriment of their careers.

Here's where it gets puzzling with Atlanta. They signed an older Cousins who is coming off an Achilles to a large contract and turned around and signed a young QB Penix with a medical history that looks like a car accident victim. Both Cousins and Penix have injuries that would normally be career-ending. Cousins has been remarkably injury-free over his career---it is his age + Achilles that is concerning (all signs look good on his recovery)

Here's Penix injury history:

Here's Cousin's history:

This move looks to be one by the owner---getting old in the tooth and probably hedging his bets on returning to the SB and getting a win. He also is applying the 'old-school' approach of stocking the roster with a QB-in-waiting. Even with the puzzling move, Atlanta still has some solid pieces on the roster---but still lacking a few pieces to get to the SB.
they didnt really have a lot of game changers to choose from... who did they pass on...Odunze? Maybe Bowers? there wasnt a lot worthy of a top 10 pick other than those two or OT

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Packers did it to Favre with Rodgers.

That worked out so horribly I cannot understand what the falcons could be thinking……

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I would be SO F’N ELATED to train my replacement for 45 million a yr. I would work my ace off

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of drafting QBs into a situation where they won't have to start for two years. Jordan Love got a start in 2021 when Rodgers got Covid, and Love looked like the worst QB alive. Flash forward to 2023, Love was statistically the best QB in the league through the last 9 games and had the 49ers on the ropes in the playoffs. The Packers got rid of their HOF QB and improved as a team.

There's always the criticism of "not going all in" anytime you make a make that is oriented towards the future, but if you have a QB you think is good fall to you you should take him. Teams go decades without being in a position to draft a good QB. There was no chance of taking Penix in the second round, and if ATL traded back in the 1st the Raiders would have traded up ahead of them. 6 QBs went in the first 12 picks, insane stuff.

I don't get the criticism that you shouldn't pay Kirk 100 million if they wanted a successor in a few years. Teams basically spend the same amount of money as each other, there's a salary cap, spending their cap on Kirk makes their team better than spending the money elsewhere. They still want to win games while letting their QOF learn. If they went with a terrible bridge QB then there would be 3 games max before there would be intense pressure to start Penix. The point of this move is to let Penix sit and learn from his coaches.

Oh and I forgot to mention. Not taking a potentially great QB because you won't get full value of his rookie contract is dumb. Extremely dumb. Would you let a great QB leave because his rookie contract was up? No, not a single team in the league would. Since the cheap rookie deal has been enacted only Mahomes and Russell Wilson have won Superbowls while on their rookie deals. Mahomes has proven that he didn't just win because of his cheap contract.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about affording it, it is the signal they are giving the whole organization that winning now isn't a priority. It specifically sends a message to Cousins that it's not about winning right now with him. It's just a weird move IMO.
It is weird but maybe it is we gave you this money Cousins because we want you but if you stick we will replace you

Who knows :)

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
I honestly think it was one of the most dumb picks in the draft. Penix will be 28 by the time Cousins contract is up.

If you're going to spend that kind of money on a QB you're in win now mode. And drafting a QB that's going to be riding the bench in the first round doesn't help you win now.

Now I'm all for drafting a QB to groom for the future but I wouldn't do it in the first round. Maybe 3rd or later if you have extra picks.

What really baffles me is why draft Penix? Do they expect a possible Cousins replacement to be worse than Penix in upcoming drafts?

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
they didnt really have a lot of game changers to choose from... who did they pass on.
They passed on every player on the board from pick #8 to the end of the draft. Take a look at one of the Falcon Fan forums---many were looking for D. The talent on the O and skilled positions is great. They are in a weak division and wanted a top D player (Edge Latu gets mentioned a lot). Of course, some are happy with Penix and see the long-game strategy.

Let's be glad it is not our dilemma---yet.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First Take with Stephen A, Shannon, and Dan discuss the Penix pick:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The most cringe-worthy part is the press conference with General Manager Terry Fontenot and Head Coach Raheem Morris. R Morris sees himself as Taylor Swift and GM Fontenot as Kelce. Say what? They provide the Falcon rationale.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
First Take with Stephen A, Shannon, and Dan discuss the Penix pick:

The most cringe-worthy part is the press conference with General Manager Terry Fontenot and Head Coach Raheem Morris. R Morris sees himself as Taylor Swift and GM Fontenot as Kelce. Say what? They provide the Falcon rationale.

You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think it is a pretty foolish use of resources. You are either sacrificing a prime player that could help you win during Cousin's window or you are minimizing the impact of having a rookie QB on that rookie contract.
The flip side argument is that as much as there were a lot of very good offensive players in this class, the defensive players were really bleh.

Atlanta was close enough last year that good QB play would have been the difference for them. And the NFC South is also pretty darn weak, so they can gamble on a potential future starting QB.