2024 3rd round pick #90 is Elijah Jones CB

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
monti and sears went off trail a few times tonight - went safe a few times too - draft isn't over yet and im already thinking about training camp - haven't felt that way in a minute

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the player, he's a talented corner and very good in man, both Melton and Jones are good in man. Projects to be only a rotational piece with what we already have though.

I like guys like Payton Wilson, Kam Kinchens, Troy Franklin, Brandon Dorlus and Luke McCaffrey might offer more immediately.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Round 3, No. 90 (from Houston Texans): Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College

My take: Jones looks the part. He's 6-foot-2 and 184 pounds with the speed to run with defenders anywhere on the field. Jones will join an ever-growing cornerback room and will have to fight to see the field, but his size will be alluring to Arizona's coaching staff if his game translates to the NFL. He had five interceptions last season and had the best vertical at the combine, adding to his ability to defend passes on the move.

Key stat: 29%. That was the completion rate that Jones held opposing quarterbacks to last season when he was defending, eighth best in the FBS. But that's not all. He held opposing quarterbacks to a 3.0 QBR, which was the second lowest in the FBS and the best in the Power 5.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why he wasn't higher up in evaluations. But like I said before, I think he at the very least, is as good a prospect as Garrett Williams. I like 5 ints. I like CB who catch the ball. It's been a long time since we had a CB anywhere near the NFL lead for interceptions

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am not sure why he wasn't higher up in evaluations. But like I said before, I think he at the very least, is as good a prospect as Garrett Williams. I like 5 ints. I like CB who catch the ball. It's been a long time since we had a CB anywhere near the NFL lead for interceptions
He gave up a crazy low QB Rating last year. He was literally one of the best CBs in college football by any metric.

The only real wart I see is that he's 24.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He gave up a crazy low QB Rating last year. He was literally one of the best CBs in college football by any metric.

The only real wart I see is that he's 24.
People clown on the older pass rusher with production but aren't acknowledging the same can be true for CB. (not you specifically, people in general).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
People clown on the older pass rusher with production but aren't acknowledging the same can be true for CB. (not you specifically, people in general).
Look at what Byron Young did for the Rams last year. I dismissed him as a draft pick, but he was pretty productive last year. Cooper Kupp had grey in his beard when the Rams drafted him.

I'm starting to think that older prospects might just be able to contribute faster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Look at what Byron Young did for the Rams last year. I dismissed him as a draft pick, but he was pretty productive last year. Cooper Kupp had grey in his beard when the Rams drafted him.

I'm starting to think that older prospects might just be able to contribute faster.
Like everything, there is context.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really like Elijah Jones's tools. He's long, fast, jumps out of the gym AND gets his hands on the ball.

And he had success earlier in his career, so this isn't an Xavier Legette situation.
Agree he has tools. Don't hate the pick, just would have looked elsewhere at WR.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison