Chili Dogs and Meatball Subs

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Didn't know if either was strong enough to carry their own thread but together they're banging

Best Chill Dog
Portillos

Best meatball sub
Barros

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely stray from George's Special, but Romanelli's (35th Ave and Dunlap) meatball sub is lovely.

Whenever the hankering for a chili dog hits, I love to make Hebrew Nationals at home and pick up a cup of Wendy's chili to pour over (or dunk. don't laugh it works!). Topped with freshly diced white onion.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't tried their onion strings, give'em a go. Onion strings are vastly underrated.
I have; they are good even though I'm a big onion ring fan.

There are so many places that I have to hit up each time I go back to the Valley. Portillos and ATL wings are the can't miss no matter what. Then the second tier has places like Two Hands, (Korean corn dogs) Tampopo, (Japanese ramen made in store) Barros, Rehab etc. As much as I want to go to places like Ted's, it usually doesn't make the cut.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

There are so many places that I have to hit up each time I go back to the Valley. Portillos and ATL wings are the can't miss no matter what. Then the second tier has places like Two Hands, (Korean corn dogs) Tampopo, (Japanese ramen made in store) Barros, Rehab etc. As much as I want to go to places like Ted's, it usually doesn't make the cut.
The old valley legend Portillos.:lmao:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is for me. I miss that place so much. I know those in Illinois must grow tired of the place.

I occasionally travel to the Chicago area and even though I like the food there, the Portillo's locations in the Valley are so much nicer than any of the ones I saw in IL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I occasionally travel to the Chicago area and even though I like the food there, the Portillo's locations in the Valley are so much nicer than any of the ones I saw in IL.
Most of those are decades old. The one they built in Chandler, that place was so well built, clean etc.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't like Barros.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't do it during the spring - the location is the one on McClintock and Rio Salado close to the Cubs spring training - packed then.
Yeah, that's the one I usually go to as well, with it being the 1st in the Valley. The one in Chandler is about equidistant from that one though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Barros.
I prefer true deep dish like Giordanos, but Barros and their traditional Chicago style isn't something I can get near me. Everyone here seems to like the NY flat and floppy style that is laughable.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Barros.

I keep seeing that name pop up and I was wondering if there was a different Barros than the chain that's everywhere. If it's the same, I can't stand that pizza either. Malnati's is the only deep dish I like around here. That sausage and sauce are next level.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Firehouse subs had the best meatball sub but they've slipped recently. If they can get back to what it was like a couple years ago then they're on top.

Off shoot of this, DiVitoe's Pizza at Thomas and 52nd has a meatball Sicilian Sandwich that's my favorite. It's basically their version of a calzone where it's a pocket with ground up meatball (or sausage) with the cheese and sauce in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison