Do Suns blow it up?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure why so much James Jones talk here, we dont know if its him or ishbia that pulled the strings on most these deals. To be honest, i think the roster is as good as it could have been around the 3 guys, given what they had to work with:
Nurk + grayson major steal over DA
Royce was a plus
Bol a plus

Not saying i know what the problem is but i tend to look more to players/coaching rather than GM here. Cant blame JJ for the beal and durant trade, we know thats matty ish…

How many failures does a GM get? We've been consistently missing pieces since Jones has been GM. Be it a backup PG, backup big, or true PF. Then there's the draft whiffs like Stix ahead of Halliburton. Don't forget his mishandling assets like waiving Tyson Chandler right when he became GM despite being a valuable expiring contract that could have mentored Ayton to Jae Crowder debacle. Throw in some tampering for Drew f'n Eubanks. How many coaches does he get to hire and fire as GM also? That's all James Jones. He's got to go.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
look at 2022 he went and got Ross, TJ and someone else. I thought it was good. Monty’s fault Ayton’s fault? Monty got plained but I wonder what he would have done with this group

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no fixing this. Personnel issues can be fixed, but I don't give a crap" attitude can't. I don't know what to do, but at the minimum, Coach and GM have to go along with one of the "big three" have to go.
I think we need to jump on any decent offers involving any of the big 3 with the goal of moving all of them. If we weren't in such a deep hole I'd want to hang onto Devin and pair him with a true PG but we're screwed for many years unless we get very good value for him.

As for the Front Office and coaching staff, I'd fire every single one of them. And then I'd track down their friends and relatives and make them watch reruns all day of our 2024 season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many failures does a GM get? We've been consistently missing pieces since Jones has been GM. Be it a backup PG, backup big, or true PF. Then there's the draft whiffs like Stix ahead of Halliburton. Don't forget his mishandling assets like waiving Tyson Chandler right when he became GM despite being a valuable expiring contract that could have mentored Ayton to Jae Crowder debacle. Throw in some tampering for Drew f'n Eubanks. How many coaches does he get to hire and fire as GM also? That's all James Jones. He's got to go.
I disagree with much of this. He'd been trying to trade Chandler for 2 years and no takers. And I don't blame him for Crowder either. I understand why he hung on to him. We had no need of the 2nd round value he'd have brought us, he meant a lot more to us on the court or as salary filler. Yes, JJ failed to fill some key holes but he walked into a roster that was loaded with holes and it's not like we had extra assets to fix everything.

To me, the huge front office errors, and there have been several, are worthy of getting them all fired but I believe JJ is and always has been mostly a figurehead. We don't need a figurehead. Ish needs to put someone into that position that has the knowledge, personality and power to get the job down.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We aren't going to blow it up simply because we can't. The 2nd apron ties our hands.

The biggest move we will make this offseason is getting rid of the coaching staff. That's it.
What do you mean we can't?

We can't combine players in trades but other teams can combine players to trade for 1 of ours - and yes we should blow it up - immediately.

I only wish Booker plays well today because his value has to be dropping with each game that goes by.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need to jump on any decent offers involving any of the big 3 with the goal of moving all of them. If we weren't in such a deep hole I'd want to hang onto Devin and pair him with a true PG but we're screwed for many years unless we get very good value for him.

As for the Front Office and coaching staff, I'd fire every single one of them. And then I'd track down their friends and relatives and make them watch reruns all day of our 2024 season.
We can't trade Beal - no trade clause, and nobody would want him with his contract.

But the other 2 need to go. Hopefully we can at least get one young player with some potential for Booker and some picks.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
We can't trade Beal - no trade clause, and nobody would want him with his contract.

But the other 2 need to go. Hopefully we can at least get one young player with some potential for Booker and some picks.
i think beal could attract the most suitors if he were open to it - we better hope he's not - he has the highest concentration of anti-funk on the team

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trading Beal is going to be a challenge but he's no more untradable than Durant is, IMO. If we fire everybody and manage to get good value for Booker and a box of animal crackers for KD, Beal will probably start pushing for a trade. Obviously, we'll have to trade him to a team he approves.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think beal could attract the most suitors if he were open to it - we better hope he's not - he has the highest concentration of anti-funk on the team
Huh? He is the worst of the 3 with the worst contract. He's not tradable till he is down to his last contract year.

I actually think for a year or two he will be fine, and go back to his Washington role of being the go to player on a bad team. I feel bad for him because this is not what he signed up for, but I don't think a single person on Earth thought this team would be this bad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavericks had the right approach by adding players to improve the team long term.

How I wish the Suns had thought this way. See below:

By Tim MacMahon, ESPN Staff WriterApr 28, 2024, 08:00 AM ET:

Over the course of the offseason and the trade deadline, Harrison has executed his vision of turbo-boosting the rest of the rotation by adding several dynamic players via the draft, free agency and trades: All-Rookie candidate center Dereck Lively II, guard Dante Exum, forward Derrick Jones Jr., Washington and Gafford.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Mavericks had the right approach by adding players to improve the team long term.

How I wish the Suns had thought this way. See below:

By Tim MacMahon, ESPN Staff WriterApr 28, 2024, 08:00 AM ET:

Over the course of the offseason and the trade deadline, Harrison has executed his vision of turbo-boosting the rest of the rotation by adding several dynamic players via the draft, free agency and trades: All-Rookie candidate center Dereck Lively II, guard Dante Exum, forward Derrick Jones Jr., Washington and Gafford.

The Mavs management didn't do anything that great.

If you get one of the 2 or 3 guys the rest of the league sees as the star of the future players want to go play with them.

If you mean they were smart enough to not get 3 supermax players and understood the importance of role players - sure they got that right.

But here is the thing - if the Suns 3 supermax players were actually performing like supermax players we wouldn't have a problem in the first place.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with much of this. He'd been trying to trade Chandler for 2 years and no takers. And I don't blame him for Crowder either. I understand why he hung on to him. We had no need of the 2nd round value he'd have brought us, he meant a lot more to us on the court or as salary filler. Yes, JJ failed to fill some key holes but he walked into a roster that was loaded with holes and it's not like we had extra assets to fix everything.

To me, the huge front office errors, and there have been several, are worthy of getting them all fired but I believe JJ is and always has been mostly a figurehead. We don't need a figurehead. Ish needs to put someone into that position that has the knowledge, personality and power to get the job down.

Tyson Chandler came out and said he didn't want to be traded for his last 2 years here. JJ wasn't GM at that point either. JJ took over those duties on his own and released Tyson a month later and there was a lot of hoopla about him helping LeBron since LA had interest in Tyson. Holding him until the deadline when we needed expiring contracts to make a move would have been better for us, instead we scrambled like we're known to do to find matching salaries.

Crowder was mishandled. 5 2nd round picks would be helpful now considering we don't even have 5 of our own going forward. I believe if Jae didn't sit out half a season then the return could have been better but it definitely would have been better than salary filler.

All teams have holes, I won't fault any GM for not having a complete team regularly but the same holes present themselves under JJ's tenure annually. No PF's, undervalued youngsters, overvalued shooters, and lack of depth at C and PG.

It's also odd how JJ can't seem to get on the same page as his coach. He had issues with Monty and it appears he has issues with Vogel as well given some statements made by each side, JJ saying we need more playmaking and ball control while Vogel says we don't need a PG. JJ was initially brought in to be a bridge between the office and players and now he can't communicate properly with his head coach, which is troubling.

His time here needs to come to an end before we Shamet our 1st rounder this year and he hires another Vogel.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavs management didn't do anything that great.

If you get one of the 2 or 3 guys the rest of the league sees as the star of the future players want to go play with them.

If you mean they were smart enough to not get 3 supermax players and understood the importance of role players - sure they got that right.

But here is the thing - if the Suns 3 supermax players were actually performing like supermax players we wouldn't have a problem in the first place.

This is the whole point.

Dallas didn't do anything spectacular, but they had the common sense to build the team around what they had instead of making desperation trades.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the whole point.

Dallas didn't do anything spectacular, but they had the common sense to build the team around what they had instead of making desperation trades.
Is Dallas close to winning anything other than beating the Clippers though? Closer than the Suns Iguess that is the point.

Sad

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Dallas close to winning anything other than beating the Clippers though? Closer than the Suns Iguess that is the point.

Sad

Dallas looks to have a team that can compete for a championship for the next three seasons. I wish I could say the same thing about the Suns.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should burn it down this year but Ishbia won't. No way in hell. Don't think he's the type of guy to admit he was wrong. He will make Vogel for sure, and probably James, take the fall.

But, personally, I blame it on Ishbia. Just hope he learns from it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean we can't?

We can't combine players in trades but other teams can combine players to trade for 1 of ours - and yes we should blow it up - immediately.

I only wish Booker plays well today because his value has to be dropping with each game that goes by.
If that is allowed it would give us more options. Having said that just trading Durant is completely pointless. There is no trading Durant and making the team better. We need someone better than Booker to play with Booker.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the whole point.

THEY BLEW UP THEIR ENTIRE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS TEAM and COMPLETELY REBUILT AROUND THE TYPE OF SUPERSTAR WE DONT HAVE.

Good gravy… this is as mind-numbing as when you said we should have done what the Nuggets did… while completely ignoring that we don’t have a Joker to build around and what was holding that team back was their second best player was injured for two postseasons.

How you keep missing that point is beyond comprehension.

Also, why valorize what the Mavs have done? Since making the WCF, they completely rebuilt around Luka, didn’t make the playoffs and look like they might not make it out of the first round this year.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
THEY BLEW UP THEIR ENTIRE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS TEAM and COMPLETELY REBUILT AROUND THE TYPE OF SUPERSTAR WE DONT HAVE.

Good gravy… this is as mind-numbing as when you said we should have done what the Nuggets did… while completely ignoring that we don’t have a Joker to build around.

How you keep missing that point is beyond comprehension.
Geez