Honoring the behind the scenes guys...best in the business

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
ya know...you guys discuss directors and such. Im not really familiar with many of them.

But two guys who have paved the way for me to enjoy being at home watching TV are Steven Botchco and Donald Bellasario... these guys are/were the best in the business. If you saw their name attached to a series you knew it was worth a watch.

Botchco brought us legendary hits..
Hill Street Blues...dude won like nine awards for Hill Street, it was a phenomenon back in the eighties, everybody watched it. David Caruso made his name here...but then he quit the show to jump to the big screen,...and his career promptly flopped...so much so, they even punked him on south park...he was excellent in Hill Street, ..curious what happened to his talent....
But Botchco continued with, L.A. Law, Doogie Houser MD, and NYPD Blue. Sadly, Mr Botchco left us early due to Leukemia.... He entertained me for years and is missed.

Donald Bellisario
Dude got his start early, doing some writing on KOJAK..loved Kojak...then he got to his military roots with work on Baa Baa Blacksheep...great show... but what jumped him to the forefront as a writer/producer/show creator was his groundbreaking work in bringing us Battlestar Galactica...that bought him some credibility and he ran with it. He used that clout to bring us
Quincy
Magnum P.I.
Airwolf
Quantum Leap
JAG
NCIS

useless trivia...ever wonder why in Battlestar Galactica there were no lasers?? There would just be a flash at the muzzle of the gun, then an explosion at the target??
George Lucas is why...after Star wars, dude patented the laser effect...and he wouldnt let them use it for Galactica... kinda worked out though as Im sure it made production a little cheaper.

Anyway...these two dudes have entertained me my entire life. Bellisario is kinda the king of prime time but I sure would have loved to see what Botchso would have continued to do had he not been taken early.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some other memorable creators:

Stephen J. Cannell created Baa Baa Black Sheep, The Rockford Files, The Greatest American Hero, The A-Team, Hardcastle and McCormick, Riptide, Stingray, Wiseguy, 21 Jump Street, Silk Stalkings, The Commish, Renegade, Missing Persons, etc.

Glen A. Larson created Battlestar Galactica, Quincy, Magnum, PI, The Fall Guy, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, BJ and the Bear, Knight Rider, etc.

Dick Wolf created Law & Order, New York Undercover, South Beach, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Chicago Med, FBI, etc.

Garry Marshall created The Brian Keith Show, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Angie, Joanie Loves Chachi, etc.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Some other memorable creators:

Stephen J. Cannell created Baa Baa Black Sheep, The Rockford Files, The Greatest American Hero, The A-Team, Hardcastle and McCormick, Riptide, Stingray, Wiseguy, 21 Jump Street, Silk Stalkings, The Commish, Renegade, Missing Persons, etc.

Glen A. Larson created Battlestar Galactica, Quincy, Magnum, PI, The Fall Guy, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, BJ and the Bear, Knight Rider, etc.

Dick Wolf created Law & Order, New York Undercover, South Beach, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Chicago Med, FBI, etc.

Garry Marshall created The Brian Keith Show, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Angie, Joanie Loves Chachi, etc.
Cannell and Larson were my favorites as a kid. Greatest American Hero...BJ and the Bear... amazing family TV