Michael Crow finally got his wish!

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Well apparently it was not Michael Crow and a clueless ASU professor who came up with that infamous number. It was Utah’s president, and a clueless Utah professor.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Well apparently it was not Michael Crow and a clueless ASU professor who came up with that infamous number. It was Utah’s president, and a clueless Utah professor.
What a shame. They had a $30M/team deal with ESPN in hand but were too arrogant to accept it. Ugh.

Bob Thompson, the retired Fox Sports Networks president, told me in the summer of 2022 that he believed the 10 remaining Pac-12 schools were worth $300 million total per year. That matches the $30 million per school that ESPN offered. But the valuations that the Pac-12 members came up with and talked about in their board meetings consistently came in between $40 million and $45 million per school annually.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a shame. They had a $30M/team deal with ESPN in hand but were too arrogant to accept it. Ugh.

Bob Thompson, the retired Fox Sports Networks president, told me in the summer of 2022 that he believed the 10 remaining Pac-12 schools were worth $300 million total per year. That matches the $30 million per school that ESPN offered. But the valuations that the Pac-12 members came up with and talked about in their board meetings consistently came in between $40 million and $45 million per school annually.
Yes and no.

There was nothing wrong with countering at $50m. In fact, they should have countered. What they didn’t expect was ESPN up and walking away from the table. Now, maybe they should have better read the room but you cannot fault them for trying to get more than $30m.

At the end of the day, I’m not sure the PAC as we know it would have survived anyways. I think WAS and ORE still depart and Colorado was pretty much gone already

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no.

There was nothing wrong with countering at $50m. In fact, they should have countered. What they didn’t expect was ESPN up and walking away from the table. Now, maybe they should have better read the room but you cannot fault them for trying to get more than $30m.

At the end of the day, I’m not sure the PAC as we know it would have survived anyways. I think WAS and ORE still depart and Colorado was pretty much gone already

The counteroffer shouldn't be so high that the other side doesn't feel like there is no room for compromise.

Last edited:

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yeah, I said as much. They didn’t read the room and they didn’t expect ESPN to take their ball and go home
Crow’s mistake on top of the years of Larry Scott support was siding with the California schools and not raiding the remnants of the Big 12 after Texas/OU left. He was absolutely rugged by the LA schools who specifically said no on expansion while actively trying to leave.

Now the AZ schools stuck in the college version of triple-A for the foreseeable future.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison