Mike Budenholzer - Officially Suns new Head Coach

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
i like this guy - thought he did well yet got the shaft in milwaukee but tbh his rosters were loaded iirc - i definitely don't consider him a retread tho - does his own thing and doesn't placate to egos which is imo what you need when you have several egos

sign me up

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is saying another change is coming to the Suns front office. He said James Jones isn't getting fired but a change is coming. That might mean James is losing one of his titles. He is President of Basketball Operations and General Manager. I bet he loses one of them.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Gambo is saying another change is coming to the Suns front office. He said James Jones isn't getting fired but a change is coming. That might mean James is losing one of his titles. He is President of Basketball Operations and General Manager. I bet he loses one of them.
They should just make him the guy who decides what brand of hot dogs the vendors sell and take away any other responsibilities from him.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Budenholzer is from Arizona, and his late father was a well-regarded high school coach in the state. Budenholzer won the 2021 NBA championship with the Bucks. He had a 271-120 (.693) record in five seasons in Milwaukee and a 213-197 (.520) record in his previous years with the Atlanta Hawks.

Budenholzer, 54, is a two-time NBA Coach of the Year, winning for the 2014-2015 and 2018-2019 seasons.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
It sounds like Bud is a lot like Monty, but luckier when they met in the finals. Both are good regular season coach but poor at adjustments that crucial postseason. In regular season, it's more about average performance. CP3 guarantees his team a lower level. But in POs, what works in regular season got special defensive attention that rattles the team. If the coach is stubborn, you get by with the lower bound as far as possible. Our finals' year, we were lucky with injuries to our foes, but were easily dismantled with a slightly more adjusting Bud.
It's noticeable that Grayson Allen never played with Bucks like this season with Suns. So I believe he is not good at developing, unearthing talents of his roster, but focused on winning the easiest way, in the regular season. This is not good trait for Suns which doesn't have much established players aside the current starting 5, due to cap.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way Suns even entertain firing Vogel unless they already spoke to Bud. Not to mention he has already started assembling his staff.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Get ready for Isaiah Thomas to take control.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Likely produce better results than Vogel did, not afraid to play guys and his Milwaukee teams always played some aggressive defense. Now it’s just gonna be filling out the roster with some guys willing to mix it up a little and use our fouls! Stop trying to be a finesse team, our Big 3 is enough of that fill out the roster with some athletic aggressive guys that fits the mold of what we the coach wants, not what the FO thinks will work! But what an actual coach wants to run their system!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely produce better results than Vogel did, not afraid to play guys and his Milwaukee teams always played some aggressive defense. Now it’s just gonna be filling out the roster with some guys willing to mix it up a little and use our fouls! Stop trying to be a finesse team, our Big 3 is enough of that fill out the roster with some athletic aggressive guys that fits the mold of what we the coach wants, not what the FO thinks will work! But what an actual coach wants to run their system!

Now all we need is Giannis.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In some ways I feel bad for Bud. I mean he is coming into this situation strapped in terms of what he can do to mold the roster. Bud's favorite offensive system is the 5 man out. However, we don't have the players to run a 5 man out offense. I just don't see how you get those players unless you plan on trading Nurk or Grayson in December to help. This sure feels like he has one hand tied behind his back.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly, David Fizdale will be offered a front office job, but he is not expected to accept it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
A said issue was Frank Vogel couldn't hold players accountable. The players have a responsibility as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

one thing i noticed - and idk if it was due to injuries early on and throughout - but vogel didn't treat beal same way he did book and kd - if beal was being subbed out beal was being subbed out - there was no beal waving vogel off

also never made sense to me kd playing more minutes in the first quarter than beal - who's only a whole basketball generation younger - don't get me wrong - all kd minutes are smart minutes but if you're going to utilize a 35 year old assassin in the 4th quarter you might want some fresh legs - yet kd was often tired and turning the ball over

word is budenholzer is having meetings with the players rn

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen