Patriot's Day Thoughts & Mock

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Good to see the Cardinals fast at work in the weight room this morning. Honey Badger is fast at work. Okafor is back and looking fit. Jaron Brown, Jefferson and Swearinger all signed their tenders this morning. That's great news!

2. I want to stick with Matt Barkley for another year---let's see what he's got. We traded for him, now let's give him a chance.

3. In watching more tape of the CBs, the cover men who impress me the most are William Jackson III and Mackensie Alexander. Here are some of my notes:

Mackensie Alexander, Clemson. Is only 5-10, but plays bigger. Very aggressive in coverage and in run support. Gets good leverage and beats WRs to spots, Interestingly, he did not make one interception this year. However, he did not give up one TD all year. He's got super swag---maybe too much for some's liking. Rumors are that his interviews at the Combine did not sit well with some clubs.

Eli Apple, Ohio St. he's got excellent length and ball skills. The issue with him is he is very 'hands-on" in coverage at times when he really doesn't and shouldn't need to be---thus he gets flagged and risks getting flagged again. He could develop into a very good press corner if he gets stronger and learns when to release and mirror faster.

Kendall Fuller, Virgina Tech. Fine pedigree as the youngest a 4 Fuller CBs. Has average size and speed, but is very savvy and technically sound. Has been sidelined by injuries to his knee and wrist---s durability is a question, which makes him a question mark at #29.

William Jackson III, Houston. He's gathered so much momentum going into the draft, I do not think there is any way he slides to #29. He's fast, quick and ball savvy. Not very physical in press coverage and he got away with getting beat deep on press coverage and still making plays and interceptions due to under thrown passes. But, this kid is dripping in talent and he's a pick-six waiting to happen. When he picks one off he takes off for the end zone like he is shot out of a cannon.

Artie Burns, Miami. Has the size and speed you want---but tends to give too much cushion at times and is inconsistent in his technique. Could develop into a #1 CB in time, but it will take a few years.

T.J. Green, Clemson. Long, chiseled and blazing fast (4.32). The Cardinals apparently like him as a CB. He's a converted WR to FS---and he had a good year, but was exposed in the National Championship Game by reacting late to the TE sideline passes. Would have to learn the CB position, but could also provide value as a nickel and dime FS because of top end speed and range. Still need to improve his tackling techniques, he's more of a chip or thud tackler than a square up and wrap tackler. But he seems willing.

I too am fascinated with Green, but realize that it may take a couple of years of learning for him to be a starter at CB.

4. If C Ryan Kelly is on the board at #29---Terry McDonough, the Cardinals' VP of Player Personnel, has already stated publicly that Kelly is the one "sure-fire" first round center. He may have tipped the Cardinals' hand---but for some reason I have a very strong feeling that (a) Steve Keim is going to trade down from #29 and that (b) they have their eyes set on a trio of defensive players with regard to their first pick.

5. One of the players i am most fascinated with in this draft is RB Derrick Henry---when he was dominating the National Championship Game at the U of P, I could not help but envision him doing the same in Cardinals' red. I simply cannot believe he is not in everyone's Top 20 in this draft. I lover the way he adjusts to clogged holes, the way he shuffles his feet and then the out-and-out explosion he shows when he finds a crease. Plus, on plays where he is boxed in, he never takes the easy way out...he lowers his shoulder and takes every inch he can get. Derrick Henry is a superior grinder. Imagine what a power running game the next three years plus the Cardinals would have with David Johnson and Derrick Henry as a one-two punch---and imagine what a boon that would be for Carson Palmer and the entire offense.

I know this is thinking far outside the box, but when I saw his measurements at the Combine and how they matched up with Von Miller's...how about drafting him as the power RB and using him 10-12 times a game as a situational edge rusher? The way he explodes through a hole is the same way he could explode on a QB given a crease. Henry is such a superb athlete for his size (6-2) and weight (243).

Man, I would hate to see Carolina, drafting right behind us, take Henry.

6. So here's my 4th annual Patriots' Day Mock:

1. RB Derrick "Patrick" Henry, Alabama

3. DT Adolphus "George" Washington, Ohio St.

4. CB Deiondre "Faneuil" Hall, Northern Iowa

5. C Jack "Ethan" Allen, Michigan St.

5. QB Vernon "Sam" Adams, Oregon.

6. DE/DT Quinton "Andrew" Jackson, Maryland

UCFAs:

1. RB/KR DeAndre "Booker T" Washington, Texas Tech
2. TE Kyle "Jimmy" Carter, Penn. St.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If you want to give Barkley another year then I don't think you draft a QB.

This will be a fun draft, with such a late pick in the first it will be interesting to see who falls to us. I have a feeling we trade back some to add more picks.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Man Mitch, you are all over the place with your Mocks. Can never keep you pinned on one player. :)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Derek Henry?

You must be registered for see images

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen