Sonoran style mexican food.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is Arizona's signature style.

Enchiladas, carne asada, machaca tacos in flour tortillas, chimichangas, and, most importantly, chips and chunky salsa, typically served for no charge.

What are your favorite spots?

Via De Los Santos is pretty damn good in north central Phoenix, their tequila selection is unreal, Las Glorias is alright, Los Dos Molinos is good if you want eat lava, La Pinata is consistent and delish.

If you like seafood, Mariscos Playa Hermosa on 16th Street is crazy good.

Getting a little more snobby... Chantico is very hit or miss. I've never been to Bacanora... I've heard it is very expensive and also absolutely amazing.

You can probably geolocate my house based on my choices, what are some of your favorite spots?

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I like Los dos and love the heat, but wouldn't really put it in what I would consider American Sonoran

Honestly, what we get isn't necessarily my favorite vein of Mexican food - I sometimes think places just their out Sonoran slop plates - rice and beans as an afterthought, some kind of protein & tortilla combination as the center, sauce it and go

I was expecting better when I moved here. Back in Philly you trip and fall into excellent Italian restaurants, rare to find a bad one - some are average, but most are a matter of how good

Here there are a lot of bad and average, smaller percentage really good and then the stand outs - could be the style???

We find popos on Indian School to be constantly good. I like Vis de Los Santos, but an usually not in the area (although honestly, there are quite a few gems in the broader sunnyslope area and an interesting mix of local neighborhood and monied nearby establishments)

I've heard great things about Sofi's in surprise, but haven't been

Locally, the are places like Raul & Teresa's, Tony's, Cafe Zamora that are consistently solid and the type of friendly family environment. The later 2 are smaller and they are just enjoyable visits.

I'd love to see more of a mariscos place go slightly up market, even at the cost of authenticity.

Also, Sonora has really good beef and some incredibly steak spots. I'd love to see a steakhouse with a more Mexican approach. There are some really cool sides, desserts, drinks and presentations that we just don't have.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Valle Luna and Carolina’s. In the 80’s, when I worked at 12th St and Washington we loved the original Tito’s and Caroline’s for lunch.