THE Newcastle United FC thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand Newcastle. What is their identify? What do they do well? I thought they were supposed to be a solid defensive team?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't understand Newcastle. What is their identify? What do they do well? I thought they were supposed to be a solid defensive team?
Their identity is high-intensity press. The problem with that and their defense has been injuries. I will add that a faux pas in the summer transfer window hurt their defense too. #1, they've had more injuries by far than any other team and the numbers bear that out. That's exhausted the squad and lowered the intensity. A low-intensity press is worse than not pressing at all. Howe has often not had the tactical nous to change the system up. He also doggedly stuck with Burn at LB when it was ridiculously stupid. Thus my criticisms of Howe this season.

The injuries also hurt the defense a lot. By not signing a replacement LB, and Hall being stupidly unprepared for 3/4 of the season (really, he can't get fit and into defensive responsibilities until 3/4 of the season is gone? And he still can't finish a game? Great 30 mill spent there!). Trippier has been hurt a lot. Botman was basically hurt all year and went out with a long-term knee injury. Livramento, who is fantastic, has been hurt. Even Lascelles is out 6-9 months with a knee injury. Only Schar has played in every PL game.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
First part of the game was fire-ably bad from Howe. Really awful preparation of the team. Then they turned it on and never looked back. This game could have gone absolutely anywhere. Sheffield deserved to be up by 3 early on. Then Newcastle deserved to crush Sheffield. Yikes!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Burn is nails at CB. He just sucks at LB.

Schar was hurt, and had to be replaced at halftime with Krafth macaroni and cheese.
Is Livramento still hurt? I missed his fantasticness today completely.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Is Livramento still hurt? I missed his fantasticness today completely.
No, he came back today finally. He did great in some areas but was rusty in others.

I have no problem selling Trippier in the offseason if they can get 15 mill + and making Livramento permanent RB.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First part of the game was fire-ably bad from Howe. Really awful preparation of the team. Then they turned it on and never looked back. This game could have gone absolutely anywhere. Sheffield deserved to be up by 3 early on. Then Newcastle deserved to crush Sheffield. Yikes!
Sheffiled United was carving them up and sometimes looked surprised at how easy it was.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Another good result after another awful start. Howe needs to figure out what's wrong with the team in the first 10-15 minutes of games. Shellacking Burnley is one thing (and was a lot of fun) but they won't get into Europe coming out flat in every game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison