Mel Kiper draft grades

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I’m glad you followed my advice when I posted ignore anyone who didn’t give them an “A”. This was unquestionably in nearly 60 years of following Cardinal drafts, one of the top 3 I can recall. I know people will say “wait until you see how they play.” That’s a different subject and grade. I believe you look at what scouts thought at the time and evaluate which GMs got the most highly rated players. Injuries and other factors can blow up a draft. Based on what we know today, Ossenfort and his scouting staff did an incredible job.
i have been around here long enough to know that you arent always thrilled with Cardinal drafts, so this carries weight with me.....

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Monti nailed this draft no matter what the perpetual whiners say. He traded down 8 spots in the second to pick up an additional third when all the draft pundits said the top 100 was where it was at. I would have drafted Cooper DeJuan OR Kool-Aid Mckinstry. They got Max Melton and Elijah Jones due to the trade. They are coaching them so they know who fits their system and who can excel in it. Great infusion of talent. NOw let's see how JG and his staff coach them.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Mel Kiper, he is entertaining and fun to watch. He does his homework and is well prepared for the draft event. However, I could card less about draft grades but it's all part of the NFL "show" business.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Monti nailed this draft no matter what the perpetual whiners say. He traded down 8 spots in the second to pick up an additional third when all the draft pundits said the top 100 was where it was at. I would have drafted Cooper DeJuan OR Kool-Aid Mckinstry. They got Max Melton and Elijah Jones due to the trade. They are coaching them so they know who fits their system and who can excel in it. Great infusion of talent. NOw let's see how JG and his staff coach them.
lol Shots fired. Try to be better, eh?

I'd say Monti did very well overall, although they Got Max Melton despite the trade back, not because of. Similar to our drafting of Boldin back in the day.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol Shots fired. Try to be better, eh?

I'd say Monti did very well overall, although they Got Max Melton despite the trade back, not because of. Similar to our drafting of Boldin back in the day.
What? That doesn’t make sense

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm hearing (nationally) that a lot of people love AZ/Philly's draft. It's not just ESPN, the Dallas draft people that I listen to put AZ near the top. I'm kind of indifferent to what my team did. I was hoping dallas would take the RB that AZ drafted. Instead dallas brought back Elliott. Jerry and his family are idiots!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm hearing (nationally) that a lot of people love AZ/Philly's draft. It's not just ESPN, the Dallas draft people that I listen to put AZ near the top. I'm kind of indifferent to what my team did. I was hoping dallas would take the RB that AZ drafted. Instead dallas brought back Elliott. Jerry and his family are idiots!
Cowboys committed to improving the offensive line. Got some powerful talent

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They gonna need to open some huge holes so zeke elliot can get his walker past the line of scrimmage....

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Cowboys committed to improving the offensive line. Got some powerful talent
I hope so, they need it desperately. they passed on the sure thing (the guy from Duke). I kind of wish that they took him or Worthy from Texas. but they got lucky that Beebe fell to them in the third.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
They gonna need to open some huge holes so zeke elliot can get his walker past the line of scrimmage....
well thankfully they got a guy (Beebe) that can (maybe) play center. Zeke's last play with Dallas was at center and he got trucked. Jerry is a moron!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I hope so, they need it desperately. they passed on the sure thing (the guy from Duke). I kind of wish that they took him or Worthy from Texas. but they got lucky that Beebe fell to them in the third.
I liked Beebe...truth be told he is probably a much better fit in dallas than here... the kid is a road grader

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dallas drafted, probably my least favorite OT.

Guyton is going to struggle. He moves well but he is really raw.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas drafted, probably my least favorite OT.

Guyton is going to struggle. He moves well but he is really raw.
that's what I've heard. Most people had Guyton lower than the first round. wish they took the Duke lineman at 24 who by most accounts is a 10 year starter in the NFL, but dallas were stuck on drafting a tackle. their right tackle had a year to forget last year. He was their weakest link on offense. I can think of 2 games that they lost because of him. they seem ok with keeping that going. they by no means are set on their OL now. a lot of things to hate about the cowboys offseason.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
They had him rated as the highest OT left
I think he was the highest rated OT left by the time they picked at 24, which is why the traded down to 29 to get an extra third rounder which netted them Beebe. Beebe might be a better pick than Guyton, which begs to question why take Guyton at 29 if he is not worth the pick? I really wish they took the best player available because they have a bunch of holes across their team and Jerry did nothing in FA aside from letting people leave.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah, but he didn't even play LT in college and has like only 14 total starts.

He's a bit of a project at this point. Some of his Senior Bowl tape was REALLY rough.
exactly, this reminds me of Mazi Smith from a year ago where they reached for a guy because he was freakishly talented, but no one else was going to pick him for several picks. I don't think you do that in the first round when you have other quality players available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort