The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you keep saying this, but that only delays the inevitable even further. Building around Booker and scraps will keep us at 30-40 wins at most, which is completely pointless. Trading high on Booker to stockpile picks for the future (make some of the picks convey in years we don't have them and then some picks convey in 2031 and 2033). At least that gives us somewhat of a future to start building on in 2030. Watching/wasting the prime of Booker's career on 30-45 win seasons is cutting off the team's nose to spite it's face, that will leave us with nothing to show for the next five years once he's past his prime and his value drops.
So we can just draft Josh Jacksons and Dragan Benders...Alex Lens and Aytons and Markieffs and Kendall Marshalls...cause that sir is 6yrs of high 1st round Dog crap. I'm riding with Book and this squad. Atleast we get in the damn playoffs

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we can just draft Josh Jacksons and Dragan Benders...Alex Lens and Aytons and Markieffs and Kendall Marshalls...cause that sir is 6yrs of high 1st round Dog crap.

That sir happened because we had one of the worst GMs in basketball. Then replaced him with another mediocre one at best. First thing this team needs to do after next season goes bust is finally hire a good GM. Everything else is dependent on him from there

I'm riding with Book and this squad. Atleast we get in the damn playoffs

I really don’t care about making the playoffs if we can’t even win a damn game once… or even if… we actually get there. I’ll pass on future seasons that are as fun as getting teeth pulled, all for the pleasure of embarrassing first round knockouts, at best, from here to eternity.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So we can just draft Josh Jacksons and Dragan Benders...Alex Lens and Aytons and Markieffs and Kendall Marshalls...cause that sir is 6yrs of high 1st round Dog crap. I'm riding with Book and this squad. Atleast we get in the damn playoffs
So think about how far back this team is.

Lost 0-4 against a team that hasn’t won a game in the west finals.

Add in we barely limped into the playoffs with a healthy big 3.

If the coaching change doesn’t produce, a teardown is warranted.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they trade Booker, they’d likely have space for two max contracts by the late 2020s, with a bunch of draft picks to come to booster those guys.

There’s just no difference to me in being the worst team in the league and the 23rd worst team in the league.

I know Booker’s one of your favorite players and you have season tickets so you really don’t want to watch a wasteland club for that stretch (and I don’t blame you), but if you’re actually thinking and planning for a future where this team ever wins a title or even contends again, thats going to be when he’s way past his prime. And if he’s still here at that point, his contract will probably be so bloated for a guy on the wrong side of 30 that it’ll choke enough of the cap to make it difficult to sign other superstars… or if we choose to move on and not be a stupid team that holds on to and overpays it’s stars for their past, we likely lose him for nothing or pennies on the dollar.

I get it, I've previously been a "the middle is the worst place to be" mindset, but it's because the middle deprives you of the potential reward you get from being terrible.
But, as I keep saying, we don't control our pick for 7 years.

If my options are: "Fight for a playoff spot and try to build a functioning roster" or "be the worst team in basketball for 7 years but you get a couple middling picks"... I am choosing the one that makes me not hate watching basketball.

Yeah, there is a chance that if we dump Durant then Booker wants out too... because, we're quite obviously in a really bad spot afterwards. Gutting your future for a 35 year old is something that carries some huge potential drawbacks. If Booker bails too then... he will go at the same time as Durant, this whole debate is moot and... oof: We are in for a long stretch of horrible basketball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We have no draft picks, a teardown will only make the Nets, Wizards, and whoever else has our picks and gets our players better.

I'm not saying we should run it back, we shouldn't, we should sell high on KD while we can before we're left in a CP3 situation. By that I mean only able to deal him and his contract for a worse contract. Beal has more talent than Paul, albeit one of the worst contracts in the league. CP3 was flipped for Jordan Poole, who is on a terrible contract and he's a terrible chucker. Is that where we want to be after another failed attempt with the Mid 3? Adding another toxic contract of someone who plays the same position as Booker that can't stay healthy (Beal) or flip KD for a youngster who is overpaid and quit caring once he got paid (Poole)? That's where we're headed, so long as KD doesn't suffer another serious injury that makes him untradeable. All those paths lead to the lottery for an extended period of time. If we trade KD now, maybe we fight for the play in this year but hopefully we get some salary relief and can start building a team in 2025 with an upward trajectory.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We have no draft picks, a teardown will only make the Nets, Wizards, and whoever else has our picks and gets our players better.

I'm not saying we should run it back, we shouldn't, we should sell high on KD while we can before we're left in a CP3 situation. By that I mean only able to deal him and his contract for a worse contract. Beal has more talent than Paul, albeit one of the worst contracts in the league. CP3 was flipped for Jordan Poole, who is on a terrible contract and he's a terrible chucker. Is that where we want to be after another failed attempt with the Mid 3? Adding another toxic contract of someone who plays the same position as Booker that can't stay healthy (Beal) or flip KD for a youngster who is overpaid and quit caring once he got paid (Poole)? That's where we're headed, so long as KD doesn't suffer another serious injury that makes him untradeable. All those paths lead to the lottery for an extended period of time. If we trade KD now, maybe we fight for the play in this year but hopefully we get some salary relief and can start building a team in 2025 with an upward trajectory.
JFC, we DO have draft picks!! Why do you keep repeating that lie?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We have no second round picks, traded away any possibility of the picks being good as they're leveraged out to 2-3 teams a piece and we have 2 of them. Happy?

Tell us when the last time the Suns picked someone who made it the duration of their rookie contract who wasn't a lottery pick, please.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who is this generation's Michael Beasley? I'd imagine we can cast TJ McConnell in the Goran Dragic role. Miles Bridges might fit that Beasley role, albeit a different manner of bonehead.

Hmm... that is a tough call. Michael Beasley was both, extremely terrible AND extremely toxic. It's hard to find a comparison because teams have figured out that a terrible shooter who shoot's a ton and doesn't defend is probably a huge detriment.

He didn't repeatedly beat women... which gives him a leg up on Miles Bridges, but it doesn't really help him on the court.

On the real real... Beasley's best modern comp is probably RJ Barrett. He scores some points because he shoots a ton, his team is better when he isn't on the court, he's overpaid and teams are dying to get rid of him... only Beasley was, along with those faults, aggressively toxic and stupid.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We have no second round picks, traded away any possibility of the picks being good as they're leveraged out to 2-3 teams a piece and we have 2 of them. Happy?

Tell us when the last time the Suns picked someone who made it the duration of their rookie contract who wasn't a lottery pick, please.
Nice moving the goalposts. You said we don't have any picks. That is not true. Simple.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We do have picks, that is correct. But they've all got multiple pick swaps attached so we will likely pick in the 20s no matter what.

We don't control a pick until 2031.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm... that is a tough call. Michael Beasley was both, extremely terrible AND extremely toxic. It's hard to find a comparison because teams have figured out that a terrible shooter who shoot's a ton and doesn't defend is probably a huge detriment.

He didn't repeatedly beat women... which gives him a leg up on Miles Bridges, but it doesn't really help him on the court.

On the real real... Beasley's best modern comp is probably RJ Barrett. He scores some points because he shoots a ton, his team is better when he isn't on the court, he's overpaid and teams are dying to get rid of him... only Beasley was, along with those faults, aggressively toxic and stupid.

I thought Patrick Williams might qualify but injuries have been an issue for him. Kai Jones didn't have the hype or raw talent but has the headcase part down. It wouldn't surprise me if Brandon Miller heads that direction also but I hope he doesn't. He doesn't seem very bright.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice moving the goalposts. You said we don't have any picks. That is not true. Simple.

We don't have the picks necessary for a rebuild since we don't control our own picks. Therefore we have no picks for a teardown to be a plan worth considering.

You want to nitpick, fine. It doesn't help. Again, I ask, when was the last player the Suns picked outside of the lottery the made an impact of some sort? Want to have a discussion or just want to celebrate where we'll pick after Brooklyn, Washington, Memphis, and Orlando decide they're good?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Patrick Williams might qualify but injuries have been an issue for him. Kai Jones didn't have the hype or raw talent but has the headcase part down. It wouldn't surprise me if Brandon Miller heads that direction also but I hope he doesn't. He doesn't seem very bright.

Bringing your buddy a gun so he can murder his girlfriend is not a bright idea.

Wild that he saw no consequences for that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We don't have the picks necessary for a rebuild since we don't control our own picks. Therefore we have no picks for a teardown to be a plan worth considering.

You want to nitpick, fine. It doesn't help. Again, I ask, when was the last player the Suns picked outside of the lottery the made an impact of some sort? Want to have a discussion or just want to celebrate where we'll pick after Brooklyn, Washington, Memphis, and Orlando decide they're good?
There's a difference between we don't have any picks vs we don't have any picks we control. If you want to have a "discussion", you should at least try to get it right.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a difference between we don't have any picks vs we don't have any picks we control. If you want to have a "discussion", you should at least try to get it right.

Do we have the picks that make tearing it down a good option?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do we have the picks that make tearing it down a good option?
Are you considering unloading our stars and retooling with different ones through free agency?

Draft can’t do it all. I don’t think we are in a position for the Spurs model, right?

Also when the stars are unloaded I would think we would be able to return a collection of younger unproven talent and stock pile draft picks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you considering unloading our stars and retooling with different ones through free agency?

Draft can’t do it all. I don’t think we are in a position for the Spurs model, right?

Also when the stars are unloaded I would think we would be able to return a collection of younger unproven talent and stock pile draft picks.

The problem there is with unproven talent, we probably don't win. So we end up in the lottery giving away lottery picks to other teams. We need to lower the payroll and get guys who compliment each other's skillet better than what we have. If we lower the payroll, getting out from one of the max deals we have, then we start having more trade options and hopefully can build a better team top to bottom. Having 3 max players isn't a recipe for success.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares? We have been getting into the playoffs on and off for over 50 years. The goal is a title.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Coaching and running the big 3 into the ground with heavy minutes had alit to do with that! And let’s not act like the Wolves team playing now is the same that swept us or beat the defending champs! Towns can’t hit the broad side of a barn and ANT is playing slightly better than Towns lol. Dallas is playing well but let’s not act like Minn is not playing like total crap in this WCF…

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coaching and running the big 3 into the ground with heavy minutes had alit to do with that! And let’s not act like the Wolves team playing now is the same that swept us or beat the defending champs! Towns can’t hit the broad side of a barn and ANT is playing slightly better than Towns lol. Dallas is playing well but let’s not act like Minn is not playing like total crap in this WCF…
I’ll just mention this and leave it at that, the suns are not a good or even adequate defensive team and the Mavs are.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
series is not over yet, but his best shot of the series was at Lively's groin. I recall that Towns once said that he was a better shooter than dirk. I think KD called him out for that.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
series is not over yet, but his best shot of the series was at Lively's groin. I recall that Towns once said that he was a better shooter than dirk. I think KD called him out for that.

KAT has been taking awfully timed shots as well. Crunch time comes, early in the shot clock, and he tries to jack up a 3. You think a guy that big would try and get something inside going if your shot isn't falling.