MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd call it closer to 4 years if MHJr ends up being as great as we all hope. Just look at CeeDee Lamb who is on a 5th year option right now and is skipping Mandatory Minicamp as he attempts to negotiate a new contract extension.

Yeah. The Cowboys are stupid for not paying him, so there's that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Looking at Jefferson’s contract, having locked up an affordable WR for 5 years seems huge. Nice pick!
You could say this about all the high-value positions. Only a nice pick if he works out.

A rookie WR contract is becoming one of the more valuable contracts in football, and you can usually carry 2 of them. If MHJ and Wilson work out as 1200+ and 800+ yard receivers respectively, the cards are getting a ton of excess value.

Yeah. The Cowboys are stupid for not paying him, so there's that.

Now that Justin Jefferson’s value is set, the parameters are pretty clear for Chase and Lamb — this year or next. I’m not crying tears for CeeDee’s $17MM fully guaranteed deal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that Justin Jefferson’s value is set, the parameters are pretty clear for Chase and Lamb — this year or next. I’m not crying tears for CeeDee’s $17MM fully guaranteed deal.
I get that. What I don't get, is that the first team that sets the value, is almost always going to be the cheapest. Players typically want, and usually get just a bit more than the guy before them so they can be the highest paid.

It would make sense to be the first to set the parameters, but it doesn't seem to happen that way.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get that. What I don't get, is that the first team that sets the value, is almost always going to be the cheapest. Players typically want, and usually get just a bit more than the guy before them so they can be the highest paid.

It would make sense to be the first to set the parameters, but it doesn't seem to happen that way.
Jefferson is clearly the best non-QB in the league right now. No one has an argument they should make more. I think that’s the difference. Neither Chase nor Lamb really have an argument they deserve to make more than Jefferson.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jefferson is clearly the best non-QB in the league right now. No one has an argument they should make more. I think that’s the difference. Neither Chase nor Lamb really have an argument they deserve to make more than Jefferson.
That's not how these contracts work. I'm sure you know that.

Every other major contract that you see publicized states that 'This is the highest in history.' blah blah blah. It doesn't just happen to the best player at their position. It happens in the top 5 or even top 10.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's not how these contracts work. I'm sure you know that.

Every other major contract that you see publicized states that 'This is the highest in history.' blah blah blah. It doesn't just happen to the best player at their position. It happens in the top 5 or even top 10.
Sure it is. No one makes more than Aaron Donald because you’re not Aaron Donald. No QB gets a bigger deal than Patrick Mahomes because no one else is Patrick Mahomes.

There are some deals that will reset the market for the position, but there’s a reason Amon Ra St Browns contract didn’t surpass Tyreek’s and Jefferson’s did.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looking at Jefferson’s contract, having locked up an affordable WR for 5 years seems huge. Nice pick!
Should have selected 2 WRs early I. This draft for that exact reason. Rules continue to tilt to the offense thus WR is a top 3 maybe top 2 money position?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure it is. No one makes more than Aaron Donald because you’re not Aaron Donald. No QB gets a bigger deal than Patrick Mahomes because no one else is Patrick Mahomes.

There are some deals that will reset the market for the position, but there’s a reason Amon Ra St Browns contract didn’t surpass Tyreek’s and Jefferson’s did.

Yes, but St Brown was willing to get deal done early.

Don't be surprised if CeeDee gets the same amount, or even more than Jefferson. It is just how it works. The market gets reset just about every year because of how much the salary cap is exploding.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes, but St Brown was willing to get deal done early.

Don't be surprised if CeeDee gets the same amount, or even more than Jefferson. It is just how it works. The market gets reset just about every year because of how much the salary cap is exploding.
This is not factual but carry on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not factual but carry on.
Posting St Brown got his deal done early is a fact. One that you don't want to acknowledge for some reason.

The rest is opinion, but based on fact. Just look at nearly all of the contracts for the top players for the past 5 years. You don't have to take my word for it. First Jalen Hurts, then Lamar Jackson and Justin Herbert, and finally Joe Burrow became the highest-paid player in NFL history as the 2023 season kicked off. How did they all get the highest-paid label? They aren't all better than Mahomes are they? I'll wait while you look.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Posting St Brown got his deal done early is a fact. One that you don't want to acknowledge for some reason.

The rest is opinion, but based on fact. Just look at nearly all of the contracts for the top players for the past 5 years. You don't have to take my word for it. First Jalen Hurts, then Lamar Jackson and Justin Herbert, and finally Joe Burrow became the highest-paid player in NFL history as the 2023 season kicked off. How did they all get the highest-paid label? They aren't all better than Mahomes are they? I'll wait while you look.
Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, and Matt Stafford are getting the most cash in 2024, per Over the Cap.

The total value of Mahomes contract is nearly twice that of Joe Burrow, per the same source.

Jared Goff, who signed this offseason, has a lower AAV than Joe Burrow, who extended last year.

It’s okay to take the L.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cowboys are idiots with this and Dak. The Price is only going to be higher year for year.
Pay early Or cut your losses. Stalling is only going to hurt you more
Maybe, but they’re also in a position to completely reset with no dead money in 2025 if it doesn’t work. Dak and Lamb are good but not irreplaceable. Franchise Lamb and your can still re-sign Dak as needed.

Who are the teams desperate for a QB in 2025 who have the wherewithal to make Dak Prescott the highest-paid QB in the league? Seattle? Tampa? Maybe the Giants? The list is pretty short.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Jefferson also plays on a team that is likely starting a QB on a rookie deal, Dallas & Cincy not so much. Its the same reason SF took a WR in rd 1, they will have the same problem

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, and Matt Stafford are getting the most cash in 2024, per Over the Cap.

The total value of Mahomes contract is nearly twice that of Joe Burrow, per the same source.

Jared Goff, who signed this offseason, has a lower AAV than Joe Burrow, who extended last year.

It’s okay to take the L.
Which measurement are you going to use? Total value or AAV? Nearly everyone uses AAV to determine this. Especially since players can be cut at any minute...

You can't even stay consistent in your own argument.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Which measurement are you going to use? Total value or AAV? Nearly everyone uses AAV to determine this. Especially since players can be cut at any minute...

You can't even stay consistent in your own argument.
There’s no perfect measure, and all are used in negotiating. AAV is by far the fakest.

Again, Jared Goff is just the latest example proving how wrong you are. As is St Brown’s contract coming in below Tyreek’s 2+ year old deal.

This is what happens when a vibes-based assertion runs into facts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s no perfect measure, and all are used in negotiating. AAV is by far the fakest.
IMO it is the realest. Do you think that Mahomes will just sit on his contract in a few years, or will another one be written so that we will be compensated among the league best? We both know the answer to this.
Again, Jared Goff is just the latest example proving how wrong you are. As is St Brown’s contract coming in below Tyreek’s 2+ year old deal.
Jared Goff isn't even a top 5 QB. He's somewhere in the 6-10 range. I said sometimes the 6-10 range can reset the market, not every time. Besides, considering Jared's age, I'm not sure why you are using him as your champion.
This is what happens when a vibes-based assertion runs into facts.
I provided actual facts, you are the one working on vibes here.