Waiting and seeing

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know it feels like I’m coming into threads pretty hot on the dark side on many threads, but I’m pretty excited about this season.

Vibes are good, the coaching staff has earned the benefit of the doubt, and there’s no question the talent has been upgraded over the 2023 roster. While I don’t think they’re as good as the group we entered 2021-2022 with (especially on defense), I do think they have the chance to be better over the next 2-3 years.

Plus, most of them are under contract for that whole period. I’m particularly anxious to see growth from Michael Wilson, BJ Ojulari, and Garrett Williams. If they can become above-average NFL starters this season, we could be a pretty good team this year.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I'm optimistic for the intermediate term and fully recognize that this season has limited upside due to a roster lacking quality depth at most positions and featuring a very young roster.

OTOH, I believe the right coaching staff is in place and Monti, after some early stumbles, seems to making the right moves for the long run.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know it feels like I’m coming into threads pretty hot on the dark side on many threads, but I’m pretty excited about this season.

Vibes are good, the coaching staff has earned the benefit of the doubt, and there’s no question the talent has been upgraded over the 2023 roster. While I don’t think they’re as good as the group we entered 2021-2022 with (especially on defense), I do think they have the chance to be better over the next 2-3 years.

Plus, most of them are under contract for that whole period. I’m particularly anxious to see growth from Michael Wilson, BJ Ojulari, and Garrett Williams. If they can become above-average NFL starters this season, we could be a pretty good team this year.
2022 K9 is back! Hopefully not those Cardinals though.
Defense is still going to be pretty bad, but I think our offense will be good enough to score with anyone permitting injury.
I'm not there yet. If MHJ hits the ground running like Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson maybe. However, the defense is so bad that I still need to see this passing attack operate when it has to throw (consistently).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I think we need this to be true to have a shot at the playoffs. We don't have anybody else to really count on to step up at edge, and we need Garrett to do well to bolster the CB room.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Defense is still going to be pretty bad, but I think our offense will be good enough to score with anyone permitting injury.

I have to agree that on paper we're probably not a top twenty defense.

We don't appear to have anybody on that side of the ball who has the the ability to change to momentum of a game. No JJ, or a C. Jones or a Dansby (I see you Budda!).

If we have any hope of making the playoffs, I think one of two things has to happen:

1. One of the defensive rookies emerges as a big-time playmaker. Like, DROY-level playmaker, or

2. Gannon and Rallis can find a way to make the whole defense (significantly) better than the sum of its parts.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I have to agree that on paper we're probably not a top twenty defense.

We don't appear to have anybody on that side of the ball who has the the ability to change to momentum of a game. No JJ, or a C. Jones or a Dansby (I see you Budda!).

If we have any hope of making the playoffs, I think one of two things has to happen:

1. One of the defensive rookies emerges as a big-time playmaker. Like, DROY-level playmaker, or

2. Gannon and Rallis can find a way to make the whole defense (significantly) better than the sum of its parts.
i think a really good offense + a below average defense makes the playoffs

but no worse than "below average" --- it cant be bottom 5 like last year.

Lions, Dolphins and Rams had defenses that were ranked on yards and points in the bottom half -- but they were also closer to the midpoint than the bottom.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’m also somewhat optimistic about this year’s team.
The coaching staff impressed me last year with how hard the team played and they won games with little to no talent on the field.

The WR room should be a lot better. The OL should be better and the overall defense should make a jump being the 2nd year in the system and Gannon is a defensive guy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm also slightly optimistic but in wait-and-see mode. It does seem like there's a relatively cohesive plan. I'm not sitting here like I was with KK and SK thinking we're flinging poo at the wall every year hoping it sticks and they don't lose their jobs.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought you were too, however, I totally underdtand. This is the Cardinals!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
feels like both the FO and Coaching staff are following fundamentally sound principles

it gives you hope

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals have an outside shot at being good this year.

If some of these players drafted these past two years become better than average starters, the Cardinals could be what the Lions were two years ago when they were pretty good down the stretch.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I'm with you K9. Cautiously optimistic for this team. Hope the trend continues.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Weakness lurks around every corner, stay strong:)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I don’t think they’re as good as the group we entered 2021-2022 with (especially on defense), I do think they have the chance to be better over the next 2-3 years.

While it's good to see some positivity I'm also intrigued as to how you think the '21 defense was superior? It performed well, I think it finished top 10 in DVOA that year, but on paper it was nothing special at all.

Defensive Interior was mostly Zach Allen and a rotation of JJ Watt, Jordan Philips, Michael Dogbe, Leki Fotu, Corey Peters and Rashard Lawrence. Allen played 63% of snaps and all the rest played 24 to 34%. Watt was great obvs but he only played 31% of snaps due to his injury.

Edge was a declining Chandler Jones who had that awesome game 1 with 5 sacks, then had 5 in the remaining 16 games plus Markus Golden. The rest of the Edge room hardly played with Kennard, Gardeck, Dimukeje playing about 480 snaps between them.

Linebacker was nearly all Hicks and Simmons. Simmons was awful. With a bit of Tanner Valejo and Zaven.

Safeties were the same as we have now.

CB's were rookie Wilson, Byron Murphy and Robert Alford with a bit of Antonio Hamilton.

In a lot of ways that was not a good defense on paper at all.

The obvious win on paper here is the starting Edge guys because they were experienced vets and they did both break 10 sacks. But it was also the last 2 productive years of both guys, they were well past their prime.

The rest of the defense for me is either a wash or better.

I think Mac Wilson and White are a better pair than Hicks and Simmons, with Simmons really letting the side down.

I think the interior DL group is better currently. Not the same peak if you count the bit of JJ Watt, but far less drop off.

And at CB I think Murphy Bunting is at least as good as Byron Murphy and that while the rest are largely unproven I'd feel comfortable putting money on any of Max Melton, Garrett Williams, Elijah Jones or Kei'Trel Clark being at least as good as Robert Alford (who hadn't played in 2 years) and rookie Marco Wilson.

Plus Vance Joseph sucked. I'd take Gannon and Rallis every day.

I'm of the opinion that the defense only performed well that year because our offense was so great that we built a bunch of leads and forced our opponents to change game plan and abandon the run a lot of the time.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Pressures on D could be the difference maker if the offense plays well. It would help the secondary which looks better. It would help the offense function better, be more balanced. We need that Max Crosby disruptor type to emerge. If we only had that player. I'm hoping some surprises emerge on this team; both on defense and offense.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Appreciate the post K9!

I absolutely agree that this team is probably not as good as in 21.

What REALLY makes me excited for this season is the potential. If counting quality AND potential, this roster is loaded. That doesn't count for anything until we see it on the field, but looking at the team, each position group there is a potential to be great. For that to happen this season, Monti would have to prove as the greatest draft evaluator of all times, which is highly unlikely, but looking forward to see how the potential matures and translates into production.

The talent and potential between, Paris, BJ, Wilson, Garrett Williams, Jon Gaines, Stills, Harrison Jr, Robinson, Melton, Raiman, Adams, Jones, Taylor-Demerson & Xavier Thomas is mindblowing!

Some will become stars, some will become solid players, some will be nothing special, some will need another year or two to develop and some will be a bust. Rules of the game. But I can not remember when this team had as much young talent that on paper seem to be a perfect fit to the scheme. Several position groups lack proven starters, but all position group has a massive amount of talent and potential. That journey makes me very excited.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While it's good to see some positivity I'm also intrigued as to how you think the '21 defense was superior? It performed well, I think it finished top 10 in DVOA that year, but on paper it was nothing special at all.

Defensive Interior was mostly Zach Allen and a rotation of JJ Watt, Jordan Philips, Michael Dogbe, Leki Fotu, Corey Peters and Rashard Lawrence. Allen played 63% of snaps and all the rest played 24 to 34%. Watt was great obvs but he only played 31% of snaps due to his injury.

Edge was a declining Chandler Jones who had that awesome game 1 with 5 sacks, then had 5 in the remaining 16 games plus Markus Golden. The rest of the Edge room hardly played with Kennard, Gardeck, Dimukeje playing about 480 snaps between them.

Linebacker was nearly all Hicks and Simmons. Simmons was awful. With a bit of Tanner Valejo and Zaven.

Safeties were the same as we have now.

CB's were rookie Wilson, Byron Murphy and Robert Alford with a bit of Antonio Hamilton.

In a lot of ways that was not a good defense on paper at all.

The obvious win on paper here is the starting Edge guys because they were experienced vets and they did both break 10 sacks. But it was also the last 2 productive years of both guys, they were well past their prime.

The rest of the defense for me is either a wash or better.

I think Mac Wilson and White are a better pair than Hicks and Simmons, with Simmons really letting the side down.

I think the interior DL group is better currently. Not the same peak if you count the bit of JJ Watt, but far less drop off.

And at CB I think Murphy Bunting is at least as good as Byron Murphy and that while the rest are largely unproven I'd feel comfortable putting money on any of Max Melton, Garrett Williams, Elijah Jones or Kei'Trel Clark being at least as good as Robert Alford (who hadn't played in 2 years) and rookie Marco Wilson.

Plus Vance Joseph sucked. I'd take Gannon and Rallis every day.

I'm of the opinion that the defense only performed well that year because our offense was so great that we built a bunch of leads and forced our opponents to change game plan and abandon the run a lot of the time.
Aww, com'on now. You're just trying to pick a flight now. SMH.. :talk: