$35.5M in cap space

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Not trying to pile on you (because others have said it), but why is this fanbase so averse to trying to develop our picks into useful players?

I'm hoping it's just because Keim couldn't draft to save his life and we're in a state of shock.

It baffles me that we don't want to give Wilson a shot after playing pretty well - whether that's drafting another top receiver, trading for one, or whatever. I also can't imagine MHJ would take it very well.

Because lamb is an exceptional player at a position of need and we are trying to win starting this year. It’s a trade that makes a lot of sense for the team, even if everything goes right for Wilson he won’t be near the caliber of lamb.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Because lamb is an exceptional player at a position of need and we are trying to win starting this year. It’s a trade that makes a lot of sense for the team, even if everything goes right for Wilson he won’t be near the caliber of lamb.
I guess my argument is that it isn't a position of need yet. We disagree on this being a "trying to win" year, in that I don't think we can win it all. I see our offense poised to take a big step, and two cost-controlled WRs would help get there, while improving our defense over time with a larger financial investment.

If Wilson stinks in year two, we could easily move on. There are other guys with his profile that have gone on to be great successes in the league. You can't always trade for the best player out there and pay them a ton. Balance is key.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Excuse me for posting about something that will never happen, as in "Arizona trades for CC". He might be traded, though I doubt it, but we won't be involved. JMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess my argument is that it isn't a position of need yet. We disagree on this being a "trying to win" year, in that I don't think we can win it all. I see our offense poised to take a big step, and two cost-controlled WRs would help get there, while improving our defense over time with a larger financial investment.

If Wilson stinks in year two, we could easily move on. There are other guys with his profile that have gone on to be great successes in the league. You can't always trade for the best player out there and pay them a ton. Balance is key.
Actually right now would be the best time to pay for a big time trade player like Lamb since the Cardinals are paying shekels for their receiver group relative to the rest of the league.

You don't think that Lamb would come in and fill out a near league best receiver room immediately?

And if Wilson does develop, then the Cardinals would have a passing game that would be exceedingly hard for any team to stop with Harrison, Lamb, McBride, and Wilson.

I'd argue that trading for an edge would make the most sense, but the Cardinals seemingly want to give the group one more year of play to figure it out, and honestly considering all free agents and potential draft picks, I kind of understand there stance. No edge available was worth the #27 and all of the best edge free agents had major warts (Hunter is older and Greenard has been very inconsistent).

What I'd like to see is the Cardinals resign some of their middle age free agents to front loaded contracts so that they maintain cap flexibility in the upcoming years. If these two draft classes produce some good starter, the Cardinals roster will be in pretty solid shape in the near future.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not trying to pile on you (because others have said it), but why is this fanbase so averse to trying to develop our picks into useful players?

I'm hoping it's just because Keim couldn't draft to save his life and we're in a state of shock.

It baffles me that we don't want to give Wilson a shot after playing pretty well - whether that's drafting another top receiver, trading for one, or whatever. I also can't imagine MHJ would take it very well.
We run 3 WR sets over 60% of snaps. Wilson can develop on 60+% of offensive snaps. MHJ wouldn't care.

The mindset is people are tired of kicking the can down the road hoping players develop. As much positive momentum as the Cardinals have right now, the path forward is still very uncertain as it depends on drafted players to take huge steps and everyone knows the draft can be a crap shoot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This is the best argument against imo. While WR is still a need, it is not as big of a need as EDGE or even DT still. If the Cardinals continue to plan on sitting out FA for the most part, they are probably better off holding onto their 1st rounders.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is the best argument against imo. While WR is still a need, it is not as big of a need as EDGE or even DT still. If the Cardinals continue to plan on sitting out FA for the most part, they are probably better off holding onto their 1st rounders.
agree 99%, I wouldn’t have an issue in investing in a proven or young need a chance DT or Edge player. I’d bring in Campbell and draft my stud edge in next year’s draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We run 3 WR sets over 60% of snaps. Wilson can develop on 60+% of offensive snaps. MHJ wouldn't care.

The mindset is people are tired of kicking the can down the road hoping players develop. As much positive momentum as the Cardinals have right now, the path forward is still very uncertain as it depends on drafted players to take huge steps and everyone knows the draft can be a crap shoot.
The Cardinals really only have a vested interest in developing two of the receivers on the roster, MHJ and Michael Wilson.

As much as everyone loves Greg Dortch, I'd argue he's going to have a tough time even increasing his stats from last year. MHJ is going to eat, Wilson will get his opportunity to be a #2, and Zay Jones will see playing time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cards were one or two players away, you make that move. We aren't so we shouldn't.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Really, the only time the Cards have acquired top end talent that cause cap hits is via a trade (Palmer, Hopkins, Jones). They certainly haven't done it through free agency so I'm not sure why having "cap flexibility" is of any concern.
Besides, every team has cap flexibility if they want it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, the only time the Cards have acquired top end talent that cause cap hits is via a trade (Palmer, Hopkins, Jones). They certainly haven't done it through free agency so I'm not sure why having "cap flexibility" is of any concern.

This team, if half the draft picks pan out, will be expensive in 2-3 year. Paris at LT, MHJ at WR and Robinson at DT alone will be $60-$70 million a year as a trio if they live up to expectations. If any of them don't, then we have money to replace them too. McBeide is probably looking at $15-$17 million a year too if stays on his trajectory. Staying flexible now, extending some guys early, helps when we need to retain our own talent. This is why some teams can make cap easier than others.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This team, if half the draft picks pan out, will be expensive in 2-3 year. Paris at LT, MHJ at WR and Robinson at DT alone will be $60-$70 million a year as a trio if they live up to expectations. If any of them don't, then we have money to replace them too. McBeide is probably looking at $15-$17 million a year too if stays on his trajectory. Staying flexible now, extending some guys early, helps when we need to retain our own talent. This is why some teams can make cap easier than others.
Those are good problems to have and are still 4 or so years away outside of McBride. The Cardinals are going to be in spots where they have to spend to hit the salary cap floor. I can't remember if they failed to hit it last year, but as of now, they are 7 mil under it. Next year, they will need to spend 60 mil to get to it.

It is a 4 year rolling timeframe but the Cardinals will need to start spending at some point soon. I would rather it be on quality players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes. Anyone who is citing financial issues as a problem are telling themselves a story. The only thing limiting AZ in terms of money is AZ.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are good problems to have and are still 4 or so years away outside of McBride. The Cardinals are going to be in spots where they have to spend to hit the salary cap floor. I can't remember if they failed to hit it last year, but as of now, they are 7 mil under it. Next year, they will need to spend 60 mil to get to it.

It is a 4 year rolling timeframe but the Cardinals will need to start spending at some point soon. I would rather it be on quality players.
I completely agree, that why I said to extend other players now to keep future costs down when those more expensive guys come up for extensions. Like you said, I'd rather spend on quality. Versus just spending, which some seem to want us to do.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not really, most "cap flexibility" techniques still end up with the team owing a bunch of players guaranteed money. When an NFL team signs a player and it has guaranteed money in the contract, they are required by the NFL to put that money in an escrow account for future use.

Bidwill is probably the "poorest" owner in the league. The Cardinals just do not have cash flow be as cap flexible as say the Rams or the Saints. I don't think its possible for us to "go all in" in the same way the Rams did in 2021 or the Saints did in 2019.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Not really, most "cap flexibility" techniques still end up with the team owing a bunch of players guaranteed money. When an NFL team signs a player and it has guaranteed money in the contract, they are required by the NFL to put that money in an escrow account for future use.

Bidwill is probably the "poorest" owner in the league. The Cardinals just do not have cash flow be as cap flexible as say the Rams or the Saints. I don't think its possible for us to "go all in" in the same way the Rams did in 2021 or the Saints did in 2019.
Not going to go into a long response, but you’re not right. Any NFL owner can pay what is needed. They’re flush in money.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

No one's buying the "poor Bidwill" excuse any longer. It's not going to fly.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Probably not but remember your trading potential talent for proven talent.
You make a good point, but it seems that our offense will be pretty good even if we don't trade for Lamb. By giving up draft capital we take away from our defense which still needs help. Bottom line, your trade proposal makes more sense if we were closer to being a lock for the playoffs. JMO.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather not extend Connor given that he'll be 30 next year and we drafted his potential replacement. :shrug:
Normally I would agree, but he’s a road grader running back and I’d be more concerned with him wearing down physically than losing speed. If he has a good year this year I could see him getting a 1 or 2 year extension.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm asking and answering this question. Who are the locker room leaders on offense and defense? My answer is Conner and Baker. Therefore, I hope both get extended.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm asking and answering this question. Who are the locker room leaders on offense and defense? My answer is Conner and Baker. Therefore, I hope both get extended.
I think Baker's extension depends on how much money he wants. If he wants too much, then I think the Cards are likely to let him walk and not extend him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky