Cardinals Flight Plan 7PM Today

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
after watching, Michael seems too involved.... I don't want the owner in the ear of the GM saying, "the best deals are the ones you dont make"

From a social, management, hierarchy perspective, the episode read to me as: "involved owner meets new, competent staff and doesn't want to be up ended"

Monti dismissively saying, "yeah you called it" is a hilarious toss of the bone to the owner

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
after watching, Michael seems too involved.... I don't want the owner in the ear of the GM saying, "the best deals are the ones you dont make"

From a social, management, hierarchy perspective, the episode read to me as: "involved owner meets new, competent staff and doesn't want to be up ended"

Monti dismissively saying, "yeah you called it" is a hilarious toss of the bone to the owner

Nobodies paying him any attention. He's just the drunk uncle hanging around thinking he's still cool.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the episode was pretty weak TBH. Showed very little of the draft room process.

There's a special on Roku I think called "The pick is in" that's inside the draft room of 4 teams including the Cards. Airs on Friday. Hopefully that will have more detail.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Really?

The owner congratulating the GM for holding onto a pick and still getting the player he wanted is a problem for you...

:shrug:

He offered #27 and #104 to get pick #24, was outbid by the Detroit Lions (from Dallas), but still got the player he wanted.

It seems worthy of a 'good on you' from the guy who signs the cheques.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the part i liked:

after the wait to see if Robinson makes it to their pick and the sense of celebration when he does ---- Monti goes " hold on , lets see if someone offers 3 first rounds picks"

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is a total overreaction. Michael was not calling the shots, he was just observing.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought the episode was pretty weak TBH. Showed very little of the draft room process.

There's a special on Roku I think called "The pick is in" that's inside the draft room of 4 teams including the Cards. Airs on Friday. Hopefully that will have more detail.
Not saying you're wrong, but I think we were all spoiled by Monti's performance in his first draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not saying you're wrong, but I think we were all spoiled by Monti's performance in his first draft.

It would have been nice to see and hear some of the talk around offers they made or received. Or if they didn't want to identify teams or picks (that would identify teams) just talking through the options.

You ever watch a TV series where they do a flashback / montage episode? It felt like that. I felt like I'd seen most of the content already and they just chopped it all up into an episode.

The only thing I learned was that they were really locked in on Darius Robinson. Which is worth remembering because he may be the first Isabella pick for this front office.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would have been nice to see and hear some of the talk around offers they made or received. Or if they didn't want to identify teams or picks (that would identify teams) just talking through the options.

You ever watch a TV series where they do a flashback / montage episode? It felt like that. I felt like I'd seen most of the content already and they just chopped it all up into an episode.

The only thing I learned was that they were really locked in on Darius Robinson. Which is worth remembering because he may be the first Isabella pick for this front office.
Boo. When did you turn into a Darksider?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And of course if he turns out to be good, we'll all say, well he should be, he's a first rounder. Maybe, maybe someone will say, Monti is good at drafting. Of course that will lead to, "I'll let you know in three years".

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boo. When did you turn into a Darksider?

I always say it how I see it, but in the absence of information I tend to lean towards optimism rather than thinking the worst. Here there is plenty of info.

I'd be happier with the pick if they were playing him at Edge where he did some nice work last year and at the Senior Bowl. He could contribute right away at Edge.

He's very meh as an interior defender which is why he was on nobodies radar. Serious, go on Google and search his name and use custom dates from the start of 2021 through the end of 2022. Nothing positive about him on the field. He's just a guy.

Here's a SI profile that has him as a 6th round pick at the end of the 2022 season.

Before deciding to go back to school last year he accepted a Shrine Bowl invite. How many Shrine Bowl players go top 100? Consider where the other guys in this tweet went in the draft.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I just can't buy into a guy that has played inside at a mediocre level in college, did great at Edge which got him his 1st round status, then move him back to the inside in the NFL against far superior players.

The odds of this turning out are single digits. It's hard enough for great college iDL to transition to the NFL, how is one that was getting 6th round grades there going to have an impact?

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The thing that struck me most was when another GM called about us trading out of our pick a couple of spots ahead, and Monti was firm that we were staying put. That gave me an indication that there were several players that they liked still on the board, with Robinson obviously their biggest target.

JohnnyCakes

Alpha Male
Reaction score

wtf Mike, get the hell out of the way!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If I had to describe the room in one word it would be “calm.” I like that. I’ve felt all along Ossenfort was a great choice. Forget Bidwill, there was no question who was in charge. He left little doubt it would have taken a huge offer to move him from Harrison. I was not as big a fan of Robinson, though I think he’s solid. I loved what he had to say about his role and AZ. He’ll contribute. I’d love to know the potential pick if he was gone. I’m guessing he’d have traded down if there was a partner. The board was a little odd. Not sure what the columns were on the left. Anyway fun look in.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing that Ossenfort was outbid by the Lions for Dallas' #24 pick, I checked to compare the offer Dallas accepted to what Ossenfort offered.

The Cards offered the #27 and #104 (top of the 4th round) for the #24 and #174 (bottom of the 5th).
The Lions' offer was significantly better - #29 and #73 (high 3rd round) for the #24 and a 2005 7th round pick.

Based on the 2024 Draftek Trade Value Chart, the Cards offered 216 + 33 = 249 points for the Cowboys' 237 + 8 = 245 points (a 1% premium). The Lions offered 202 + 65 = 267 points for the Cowboys' 237 + 1 = 238 points (a 12% premium).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing that Ossenfort was outbid by the Lions for Dallas' #24 pick, I checked to compare the offer Dallas accepted to what Ossenfort offered.

The Cards offered the #27 and #104 (top of the 4th round) for the #24 and #174 (bottom of the 5th).
The Lions' offer was significantly better - #29 and #73 (high 3rd round) for the #24 and a 2005 7th round pick.

Based on the 2024 Draftek Trade Value Chart, the Cards offered 216 + 33 = 249 points for the Cowboys' 237 + 8 = 245 points (a 1% premium). The Lions offered 202 + 65 = 267 points for the Cowboys' 237 + 1 = 238 points (a 12% premium).

I think this is a reflection of need. I think the Cards move was more a safety valve. They felt pretty confident that Robinson would be there at 27, but they tried to take the small amount of uncertainty out of it but didn't really want to overpay for the privilege.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Dude hasn't played a down in the NFL yet and you've already labeled him the teams 1st Isabella pick....lol