Tucson Roadrunners coming to PHX

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It hasn't been announced officially, But Meurelo has ownership of the AHL Tucson Roadrunners, and is supposedly looking into moving them to the Mullet to play. The thought is, later on he would try and sell them to Utah at a later date, for their farm system. So Tucson gets screwed, too.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Phoenix/Metro doesn't deserve the Roadrunners

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
THIS is why Meruelo is such a mess. Where are his people reaching out and smoothing things? This is the most disorganized, least attention to detail, Billionaire I have ever read about. He may be a big idea guy, but where are his people that make those ideas possible? I think he has a poo team around him, imho.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guenther, Doan, Raty and Kesselring are joining the Roadrunners for the playoffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I love Doan is going to play even though he doesn't have to.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just read that Meruelo is probably going to move them to Reno.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Roadrunners come back to Phoenix/Tempe but at the same time I don't want Meruelo involved.

Says you. We were huge Roadrunners fans and have seen them many times at both Veterans Memorial Coliseum and the former America West Arena. Love to have them back where they belong.

I remember going to Roadrunner games at Veterans Memorial before anyone thought we'd get an NHL team. Maybe it's an age thing but I always felt like the Roadrunners were more Arizona hockey than the Coyotes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The Roadrunners are the only pro hockey team I have ever seen live...during that game I also witnessed the greatest play in Hockey history...was so excited at that game I bought a mini stick and a couple of pucks...
and the beers?? dude, like 44 ounce beers...for 3 bucks...it was awesome.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Roadrunners are the only pro hockey team I have ever seen live...during that game I also witnessed the greatest play in Hockey history...was so excited at that game I bought a mini stick and a couple of pucks...
and the beers?? dude, like 44 ounce beers...for 3 bucks...it was awesome.

I hadn't moved to Phoenix yet when the Roadrunners were playing, but I did go to quite a few Mustangs games and those were amazing. Everything was affordable and they had one of the best crowd and arena atmospheres ever.

What was the hockey play you're referencing?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I hadn't moved to Phoenix yet when the Roadrunners were playing, but I did go to quite a few Mustangs games and those were amazing. Everything was affordable and they had one of the best crowd and arena atmospheres ever.

What was the hockey play you're referencing?
aw dude... Roadrunners had the puck, they spread out...one dude passes it upcourt all the way across the ice.... then that dude flipped the puck all the way back across the ice....and THAT dude, hit the puck like a baseball while it was three feet off the ice, and scored the goal... it was amazing to watch.... and the dude that scored was like 6 feet from us because our seats were on the glass at the blue line... he batted the puck into the net from the blueline

oh man, in the second period there was a badass fight...dude got his nose broken...between periods the zamboni comes out...the blood just smeared everywhere...so they played the entire third period with about a 8 foot wide blood stain on the ice.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aw dude... Roadrunners had the puck, they spread out...one dude passes it upcourt all the way across the ice.... then that dude flipped the puck all the way back across the ice....and THAT dude, hit the puck like a baseball while it was three feet off the ice, and scored the goal... it was amazing to watch.... and the dude that scored was like 6 feet from us because our seats were on the glass at the blue line... he batted the puck into the net from the blueline

oh man, in the second period there was a badass fight...dude got his nose broken...between periods the zamboni comes out...the blood just smeared everywhere...so they played the entire third period with about a 8 foot wide blood stain on the ice.

Great memories!