The Edge issue

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was one of my biggest problems with the hopium plan that BJ would take a big step forward this year. Even if he did, we still another GAPING HOLE at the other Edge position. So we were hoping a draft pick panned out on one side but still did nothing to address the other.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was one of my biggest problems with the hopium plan that BJ would take a big step forward this year. Even if he did, we still another GAPING HOLE at the other Edge position. So we were hoping a draft pick panned out on one side but still did nothing to address the other.

I think Zaven is fine as a 2nd Edge. Or at least isn't a gaping hole.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Zaven is fine as a 2nd Edge. Or at least isn't a gaping hole.
Going “fine” at one edge and pure hopium with a second year guy who showed next to nothing last year outside of two games, at the other edge is a recipe for failure.

And that’s assuming Zaven is “fine”, which is debatable. He’s a journeyman level edge, IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Going “fine” at one edge and pure hopium with a second year guy who showed next to nothing last year outside of two games, at the other edge is a recipe for failure.

And that’s assuming Zaven is “fine”, which is debatable. He’s a journeyman level edge, IMO.
Good at everything except the main job — getting the quarterback

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
The front 7 appears absolutely stacked for next year's draft. On CBS Sports ratings, 15 of the top 50 rated prospects are EDGE (9) and DT (6) - including 4 of the top 10 and 6 of the top 13. I don't look at a trade as just the pick compensation we are giving up, but more as "Is Hassan Reddick on a big contract better for the overall composition of the team than trying to land 2 or 3 front 7 guys early in next year's draft". Doesn't solve for this year obviously, but if you are giving up draft compensation and giving a veteran a big contract, it will absolutely impact how your allocate the rest of the resources on your team. I'm not saying that trading for/paying Reddick and drafting an EDGE in round 1 next year to really shore up the position would be a terrible move, but it's investing a lot in the position when there are a lot of other holes to be filled to build a championship caliber roster.
next year, next year, next year

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't worry, we're going to be hoping a draft pick pans out on both sides of the line next season.

FWIW, I think we seem much worse right now because Darius Robinson is out. I don't know if he'd be bringing major heat off the edge were he available, but I think he'd allow for a deeper rotation and more disruption on the interior which would help.

Right now, if the Cards rush four, the opposition's fifth offensive lineman is basically trying to figure out which double-team will look more impressive in Monday film study.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Don't worry, we're going to be hoping a draft pick pans out on both sides of the line next season.

FWIW, I think we seem much worse right now because Darius Robinson is out. I don't know if he'd be bringing major heat off the edge were he available, but I think he'd allow for a deeper rotation and more disruption on the interior which would help.

Right now, if the Cards rush four, the opposition's fifth offensive lineman is basically trying to figure out which double-team will look more impressive in Monday film study.
Agree. Even if Darius doesn't close the deal the kid is disruptive as hell. Guys who create chaos in the backfield make all but the best quarterbacks jittery even without the sacks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s assuming Robinson’s actually good and can make an impact immediately as a rookie.

So far, I’ve seen one draft pick from Monti actually make an actual impact and that’s Paris. That said it’s early in his second season so we’ll see what happens from here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That’s assuming Robinson’s actually good and can make an impact immediately as a rookie.

So far, I’ve seen one draft pick from Monti actually make an actual impact and that’s Paris. That said it’s early in his second season so we’ll see what happens from here.
I dunno. He doesn't have to be good; he just has to be meaningfully better than Roy Lopez or LJ Collier.

I dispute the hype cycle, but Michael Wilson seems like he's been a pretty solid pick as a third rounder. It depends on what your threshold for "actual impact" is.

JohnnyCakes

Alpha Male
Reaction score
I dunno. He doesn't have to be good; he just has to be meaningfully better than Roy Lopez or LJ Collier.

I dispute the hype cycle, but Michael Wilson seems like he's been a pretty solid pick as a third rounder. It depends on what your threshold for "actual impact" is.
dante Stills and Garrett Williams pretty good so far

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dante Stills and Garrett Williams pretty good so far
Garrett Williams is losing snaps to Starling Thomas, who's awful.

Stills really hasn't shown much outside of being an okay rotational player.

to quote K9: "I'm not ready to say either are going to be major contributors on the next Cardinals playoff team."

JohnnyCakes

Alpha Male
Reaction score
Garrett Williams is losing snaps to Starling Thomas, who's awful.

Stills really hasn't shown much outside of being an okay rotational player.

to quote K9: "I'm not ready to say either are going to be major contributors on the next Cardinals playoff team."
Williams plays slot

SOCALCARD

Veteran
Reaction score
It absolutely does, because now you can put someone capable of sacking the quarterback into a rotation with Zaven Collins, who has done everything he can to show that his hands are actually greased ham hocks.

Instead of Xavier Thomas playing 18 invisible snaps, you have someone who has some experience pressuring the quarterback and closing the deal every once and again.

Without a superstar, all you can do is minimize the impact of your Xaviers Thomas and Victors Dimukeje and rotate in players who have experience and upside.

It's unhinged to say that Jadevon Clowney wouldn't add anything to our pass rush unit. Consider investing in a grip.
Maybe his pre game meal is a mess of greasy ham hocks and he’s not much of a hand washer.

SOCALCARD

Veteran
Reaction score
There's been a lot of concern about our Edge rush. It's an obvious weakness, and after Sunday I've seen a number of fans and people like Johnny Venerable criticise Monti for not doing more.

My question is, what "more" could that have been? Below is a list of FA Edge signed this offseason. Who on this list were you banging the table for or would have signed in hindsight at these prices? Which draft pick would you have done differently?

For me, the only guy here that stands out is Chase Young. He's still young, and has obvious upside. It's easy to say he should have done something, but with the collective brains of this board, what is it?

I’m just glad we didn’t play any of our starters all preseason in a bunch of “meaningless” games. We need to save our guys for the playoffs, LOL!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Regardless of how K9 feels, I think Garrett Williams is a good player.
I think he's probably fine but it is surprising he's relegated to the bench so we can get ST5 more snaps.

Also, Williams was so good the Cards signed a free agent and drafted two more corners on the second day.

His ceiling is in the Byron Murphy range.

SOCALCARD

Veteran
Reaction score
I think he's probably fine but it is surprising he's relegated to the bench so we can get ST5 more snaps.

Also, Williams was so good the Cards signed a free agent and drafted two more corners on the second day.

His ceiling is in the Byron Murphy range.
Actually his ceiling is that of Arnold from “Different Strokes”.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, no. Absolutely and unequivocally no. Fans do not need to have all of the answers a professional NFL GM should have to know when something is wrong or when the GM has overlooked a problem on the roster. The tired routine is the trend on this board of "Your point is not valid unless you are able to do what a competent GM can do." Trying to neg others' point of view by forcing them to name the solutions is just faulty logic.
It ignores all that we don’t know because we aren’t nfl insiders. We will never know any edge rusher would have been available for trade, for example. Just because someone didn’t get traded doesn’t mean that the gm might not have been open to a deal that monti could’ve provided. Most trades the cards have made over years have come outta the blue.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've been pretty clear I didn't like the Robinson pick to play DT. I think it might be one of those picks we look back on in 10 years where we passed up the obviously better player.

Did you see T'vondre Sweat against the Bears?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media