Murray 2.0

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This week the discussions I am party to have focused on one topic of primary interest to Cards’ fans. In case you didn’t notice, Kyler Murray has changed. There are several theories as to why he looks so much better. Some feel he’s healthier now than he’s been in a while and he’s more confident in his health. Another thought is he’s better suited to this offense than previous versions. A third group feels the presence of better weapons, including a dominant receiver, has made the difference. I think the answer is likely a matrix of these factors. However, one thing beyond these stands out to me. If you watch film from previous seasons, once Murray breaks from the pockets he almost universally heads downfield. Even on the few cases he is intentionally rolled out, if he throws its’s almost always to the receiver directly in front of him. That receiver is also usually close, principally because Murray doesn’t set up, but rather arm throws the ball.

This season Murray has made critical throws when flushed where he’s kept his eyes downfield then set up to throw. This means he can make deeper, quality throws like the ones to Harrison or Higgins. We all know the longer secondaries are asked to cover the more difficult it is to maintain contact. It’s not that Murray doesn’t still make arm throws, it’s that when he squares then turns his hips, his accuracy and ball speed are greatly improved. Cover guys simply can’t close on throws to knock them down or intercept passes. Murray has always had the arm to throw deep, but he often put up vulnerable passes. Now he’s more surgical in his process, taking time to survey the field.

I’d love to see them roll him out against the Lions as Hutchinson is a great rusher. It will be tough because he’ll be on Murray’s right. Still if Murray rolls to the left and his blockers can just slow Hutchinson, this will allow Murray to set up. This can neutralize Hutchinson. Also continuously running Hutchinson across the field will exhaust him. The later into the game, the harder it will be for him to be effective. Murray is likely also agile enough to roll right occasionally. Finally he’s also started to climb the pocket better when there is a pocket. Again his eyes are downfield. Murray has evolved into a more dangerous adversary. I’m not confident it’s enough to beat the Lions, but I’m confident Murray is the right QB to take this team forward.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I think it's cool that Murray has won over some of his early skeptics on the board.

Harry and Shane are the two that jump out at me but I'm sure there are others.
I am one as well, and still am. I like what I see but I need to see it consistently. So to say he has won me over???? Not yet.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This week the discussions I am party to have focused on one topic of primary interest to Cards’ fans. In case you didn’t notice, Kyler Murray has changed. There are several theories as to why he looks so much better. Some feel he’s healthier now than he’s been in a while and he’s more confident in his health. Another thought is he’s better suited to this offense than previous versions. A third group feels the presence of better weapons, including a dominant receiver, has made the difference. I think the answer is likely a matrix of these factors. However, one thing beyond these stands out to me. If you watch film from previous seasons, once Murray breaks from the pockets he almost universally heads downfield. Even on the few cases he is intentionally rolled out, if he throws its’s almost always to the receiver directly in front of him. That receiver is also usually close, principally because Murray doesn’t set up, but rather arm throws the ball.

This season Murray has made critical throws when flushed where he’s kept his eyes downfield then set up to throw. This means he can make deeper, quality throws like the ones to Harrison or Higgins. We all know the longer secondaries are asked to cover the more difficult it is to maintain contact. It’s not that Murray doesn’t still make arm throws, it’s that when he squares then turns his hips, his accuracy and ball speed are greatly improved. Cover guys simply can’t close on throws to knock them down or intercept passes. Murray has always had the arm to throw deep, but he often put up vulnerable passes. Now he’s more surgical in his process, taking time to survey the field.

I’d love to see them roll him out against the Lions as Hutchinson is a great rusher. It will be tough because he’ll be on Murray’s right. Still if Murray rolls to the left and his blockers can just slow Hutchinson, this will allow Murray to set up. This can neutralize Hutchinson. Also continuously running Hutchinson across the field will exhaust him. The later into the game, the harder it will be for him to be effective. Murray is likely also agile enough to roll right occasionally. Finally he’s also started to climb the pocket better when there is a pocket. Again his eyes are downfield. Murray has evolved into a more dangerous adversary. I’m not confident it’s enough to beat the Lions, but I’m confident Murray is the right QB to take this team forward.
Solid observation…

When Kurt Warner broke down some film on KM, it was obvious eyes downfield and the effort to square for throwing.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05