2017 QB

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just sayin...who knows what the future holds for Palmer but we need to add a QBOF and that future could come sooner than later. Here are links to 2017 FA QBs and QBs available in the draft.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Slim pickins on the FA list. Sam Bradford is under contract and while Mike Glennon's name has always been tossed around on the board I don't see him as a savior. Is a Matthew Stafford trade a possibility with 2017 being his final year and would we be willing to give up the picks it would take?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/QB

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

There is a good chance three QBs will go in the top ten and as atrocious as we are, half of the rest of the league is even worse so we will likely end up with a mid round draft pick. Is there another later round Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson and do we really think the Cards are capable of identifying and landing him?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
had the Lions gone 6-10 this year -- Stafford might have been a possibility

but not now

football karma

Reaction score
re: Dak Prescott and Russel Wilson

when both entered the league -- they had a very solid offensive line and running game to support them

the Cowboys situation is apparent

the 2012 Seahawks had an offensive line that featured C Max Unger, LT Russel Okung and RT Breno Giacometti (sp?) with RB Marshawn Lynch

I think the only way you find a later round guy that works for you is if you put him in a situation where he is protected, and, doesnt have to carry the burden of the offense

the Cards have the RB. They need to fix the o-line

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would like to think that if Dallas or Seattle knew what they had in the drafted rookies, they would have selected them number one. For the most part they got lucky because the pick for the most important position was made by them later, their scouts where not sure enough to pull the trigger early, meaning we might have to get lucky too. I agree, our offensive line is not a total impossibility to fix and we have DJ to help a young QB succeed... and we will probably have Palmer to provide a vet who is actually very professional about his job and will be a great influence :)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jetstream, your point about luck being a big part of the draft is right on target. However, it seems that the Cardinals have a policy of not wanting to take a chance on using a high pick on a QB, figuring that:
1. A vet QB, ala Kurt and Carson will come their way.
2. Use a late pick on a QB and get lucky.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't think the Cards will select a QB in round 1 next year. BA has said when they draft a QB, he needs to play right away. Palmer will be the QB next year, barring injury, and he should be. 2018 will be the year they draft a QB early. I think BA, Palmer, and Fitz are all back for 1 final shot next year. Then the rebuild starts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think the Cards will select a QB in round 1 next year. BA has said when they draft a QB, he needs to play right away. Palmer will be the QB next year, barring injury, and he should be. 2018 will be the year they draft a QB early. I think BA, Palmer, and Fitz are all back for 1 final shot next year. Then the rebuild starts.

First of all, you don't KNOW that because you CAN'T know that. It's as pure speculation on your part as is speculation that he'll be gone. We can always argue the last clause in that statement, too :)

If we push off the re-build (not a full re-build--call it a mini-re-build), it'll be much, much uglier. Some things it is most certainly NOT better to wait on.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there's a chance Kizer falls to us if we finish in the top drafting order. His stock has been declining lately while Trubisky's has been rising.

Watson/Trubisky could be the first 2 QBs off the board.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we could get Maholmes, Rudolph, Falk or D Webb in the third I would be happy!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll toss in another name that may become available in the next year or two - Sam Bradford. If Teddy comes back Minney is going to have some decisions to make. Not saying he's an answer, but he'll become available.

OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll toss in another name that may become available in the next year or two - Sam Bradford. If Teddy comes back Minney is going to have some decisions to make. Not saying he's an answer, but he'll become available.
Don't see them letting Bradford go until they know Teddy is good to go and I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I think Bradford finishes out 2017 with them.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
2018 offers a lot of viable FAs. The Vikings need to make a decision Bradford or Bridgewater. Stafford and Carr are the 2 biggest prizes on the list and I think with better coaching Bortles can become a fairly good QB. Of course Garoppolo is intriguing based on how he played in relief of Brady. Foles and McCarron I think bring up the bottom of the list.

Brees and Kapernick are on the list but Brees will probably be thinking retirement by then and Kapernick is too controversial for this team based on the ownership and GM.

Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Blake Bortles
Nick Foles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
A.J. McCarron

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
C.J. Beathard--Iowa in the 2nd. The guy wins and the bloodline is there. ...And he plays SMART!

Mark :)

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't see them letting Bradford go until they know Teddy is good to go and I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I think Bradford finishes out 2017 with them.
Right, which is why i said next year or two. That would be into 2018. Teddy coming back and playing at pre-injury form is likely 2yrs away.

Cards would have Palmer in 2017. Find someone to hold over 2018 and then see what the FA market looks like.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

football karma

Reaction score
I am asssuming that if Palmer wants to be back, he will be back

it makes this upcoming year a perfect year to draft a QB reasonably high, let him go though a full year of learning and get him ready for 2018.

there are also several QBs that even if taken high, need time: Watson, Kizer, etc --- they could use a year before being thrown into the fire

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He is so full of crap that I wouldn't put any stock in that. He just sat his last 2 first round picks their rookie years, why would a QB be any different?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For 2017, I would go with Palmer, dump Stanton for Glennon and draft a QB early as soon as round one... this gives us Palmer, a back up with a possible future and a rookie with a higher ceiling than Mikey
I would be okay with that as long as ARZ has enough cap space to improve OL and re-sign key guys like Jones. If it came down to needing to create more cap space or keep Carson...bye Carson.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would be okay with that as long as ARZ has enough cap space to improve OL and re-sign key guys like Jones. If it came down to needing to create more cap space or keep Carson...bye Carson.

Regardless, I would still take Glennon for Stanton and we have to get that young QB and if we find we drafted wrong, then you do it again next draft till you find him... this front office must act in the draft now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05