A Mock Draft Worth Taking Alook At

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
now this looks more like what will probally happen on day one w/ the exeption of leftwitch @ 10.
i realy don't think he will get past the bears or the jags if cincy doe'snt take him @1, then look 4 palmer to slide to the jags & the bears to beef the D w/ kennedy IMO.

1 Bengals Carson Palmer QB USC 1st — 1/1
The Bengals certainly have a tough decision here. But while Jon Kitna was named the quarterback for 2003 - there's no question he isn't the long-term solution. The other alternative is Kansas State cornerback Terence Newman.
2 Lions Charles Rogers WR Michigan State 2nd — 2/2
The Lions have needs throughout their roster. They have their quarterback in Joey Harrington. Now Detroit needs to surround him with plenty of support. Rogers would be a nice start to this building-block process.
3 Texans Andre Johnson WR Miami (Fla.) 6th ↑(+3) 3/8
David Carr needs a dynamic weapon to carry a productive passing game. Johnson has the tools to create matchup problems all over the field. It would allow Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney to work as complements.
4 Bears Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State 7th ↑(+3) 4/11
Jerry Angelo would love to find a productive defensive lineman who can put pressure on the quarterback. Kennedy or Kentucky's Dewayne Robertson would be solid beginnings up front. It wouldn't be a surprise if Terrell Suggs is the pick here either. And Utah offensive tackle Jordan Gross is drawing interest from the Bears.
5 Cowboys Terence Newman CB Kansas State 5th — 5/5
Bill Parcells wants to transform the Cowboys into a more aggressive defense. Having a true shutdown cornerback to pair with Derek Ross would allow the Cowboys to take more chances and create turnovers.
6 Cardinals Terrell Suggs DE Arizona State 3rd ↓(-3) 3/6
The Cardinals would love to find someone who could make a difference on their defense. They love the up-field presence Suggs would provide off the perimeter, and they desperately need someone to anchor their pass rush.
7 Vikings Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky 4th ↓(-3) 4/11
The Vikings would love to build a dominant front four. And selecting either Robertson or Jimmy Kennedy would really make their defensive front a strength next season.
8 Jaguars Kyle Boller QB California 10th ↑(+2) 8/ —
Boller is the wild card of the first round. There are a few possibilities of teams trading up or down for him. But it wouldn't be a terrible surprise if the Jaguars pull the trigger here. Some people within the new regime aren't as high on David Garrard as the future quarterback when Mark Brunell's time is done. It also wouldn't be a surprise if Utah offensive tackle Jordan Gross is the pick here.
9 Panthers Jordan Gross OT Utah 9th — 3/9
There are members in the organization that regret cutting Chris Terry at midseason. The hole that was left behind was enormous. Gross would stabilize the right tackle position and could slide over to the left side in a year or two.
10 Ravens Byron Leftwich QB Marshall 20th ↑(+10) 9/20
There is a split within the Ravens' brain trust concerning Boller and Byron Leftwich. Although the Ravens still like Chris Redman, they can't afford to pin all their hopes on him at this stage.
11 Seahawks Marcus Trufant CB Washington State 8th ↓(-3) 6/11
Ray Rhodes would love to build a large front wall with the likes of Oklahoma State's Kevin Williams, but Trufant would be tough to pass up if he falls here — especially given Shawn Springs' tenuous future in Seattle.
12 Rams Kevin Williams DT Oklahoma State 11th ↓(-1) 11/13
Losing Jeff Zgonina along with possible free-agent losses in 2004 make the defensive line a consideration for the Rams. Williams would upgrade the Rams' interior pressure.
13 Jets (from Redskins) Eric Steinbach OG Iowa 12th ↓(-1) 9/13
Defense is the flavor of choice of many people, but the Jets are thin at guard. Tom Nutten and Dave Szott have questionable durability, and Jonathan Goodwin isn't quite ready yet. Steinbach's mindset would fit well with the Jets.
14 Patriots
(from Bills) Jonathan Sullivan DT Georgia 14th — 14/15
Rebuilding the front seven is Bill Belichick's top priority as he attempts to tweak the secondary with another reliable veteran. The Patriots really need someone up front who will draw attention away from Richard Seymour.
15 Chargers Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma 15th — 15/ —
It wouldn't be a surprise if the Chargers made a move for a cornerback. They love Marcus Trufant, but they would have to trade up for him. The Chargers might decide to reach for Woolfolk.
16 Chiefs Jerome McDougle DE Miami (Fla.) 25th ↑(+9) 16/25
The Chiefs are becoming desperate for a pass rusher. McDougle would bring a lot of speed off the perimeter for them.
17 Saints Boss Bailey LB Georgia 17th — 17/25
The Saints would like to add more speed to the front seven. Bailey covers a lot of ground and could really upgrade their matchup ability, but he does overrun too many plays.
18 Saints
(from Dolphins) William Joseph DT Miami (Fla.) 13th ↓(-5) 13/19
The Saints have been looking for more speed throughout their defense, and they would like to have more quickness and versatility from the defensive tackle position next season. Joseph would give the Saints an interior pass rush.
19 Patriots E.J. Henderson LB Maryland 16th ↓(-3) 14/19
Henderson would provide the Patriots with a rock in the middle of their run defense. Tedy Bruschi was active last season, but had trouble taking on blockers. He's just better suited to play on the perimeter.
20 Broncos Kwame Harris OT Stanford 26th ↑(+6) 20/26
Mike Shanahan generally doesn't like taking offensive lineman this high, but they really are desperate for upgraded talent at offensive tackle. Harris certainly provides intriguing potential.
21 Browns Sammy Davis CB Texas A&M 24th ↑(+3) 21/ —
The Browns need a boost at cornerback. Davis would be a nice addition to their secondary with his speed and ability to make plays on the ball.
22 Jets Kelley Washington WR Tennessee 28th ↑(+6) 22/ —
The Jets need a big thumper at wide receiver. And Washington has the ability to give the Jets much-needed size and ability to create favorable matchups.
23 Bills
(from Falcons) Jason Witten TE Tennessee 18th ↓ (-5) 18/30
The Bills don't have any glaring needs since they've aggressively addressed their problems defensively through free agency. They could add another cornerback because they have a few free agents next spring. But adding Witten would bolster their passing game after letting Peerless Price go to Atlanta.
24 Colts Troy Polamalu S Southern California — ↑ — / —
Tony Dungy wants speed on his defense and also needs better play from his safeties. Polamalu would be an aggressive defender who isn't afraid to attack run lanes up front.
25 Giants Kenny Peterson DT Ohio State 31st ↑ (+6) 18/31
The Giants need more numbers along their defensive line. Peterson would be a nice addition to bolster their production up front.
26 49ers Taylor Jacobs WR Florida 19th ↓ (-7) 12/26
The 49ers would like to run more spread formations under Dennis Erickson. They certainly need more numbers at wide receiver to create favorable matchups. Jacobs is a good athlete who should fit well within the 49ers' passing game.
27 Steelers Rex Grossman QB Florida 29th ↑ (+2) 29/ —
Is Tommy Maddox a long-term solution at quarterback? No one can really say for sure. That means adding a quarterback high in the draft will certainly be on the minds of the Steelers' brass.
28 Titans Willis McGahee RB Miami (Fla.) 32nd ↑(+4) 28/32
Floyd Reese would like to surround Steve McNair with more talent in the passing game, but he also will consider McGahee who can spend some time working behind Eddie George.
29 Packers Pisa Tinoisamoa LB Hawai'i — ↑ 29/ —
The Packers really need help at the linebacker spots. Tinoisamoa would provide a very active presence on the weak side and has the ability to create turnovers.
30 Eagles Michael Haynes DE Penn State 23rd ↓(-7) 23/ —
The Eagles need more numbers at the defensive end spots. Haynes is a solid football player who displays a good motor off the edge.
31 Raiders Chris Simms QB Texas — ↑ 31/ —
There doesn't seem to be as much support within the Raiders organization for Marques Tuiasosopo as the heir apparent to Rich Gannon at quarterback now that Jon Gruden is gone.
32 Raiders
(from Bucs) Rashean Mathis DB Bethune-Cookman — ↑ 32/ —
The secondary has lost some depth this spring and needs to add another athlete to work into the mix. Mathis could possibly help at the nickel spot and work behind Rod Woodson at free safety.
Fallen from the board (last week's ranking in parentheses):

Jeff Faine, C Notre Dame (No. 21)
Bryant Johnson, WR Penn State (No. 22)
Mike Doss, CB Ohio State (No. 27)
Dallas Clark, TE Iowa (No. 30)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did this come from hef? It sure fits my thought patterns with a few minor exceptions.

Notably, I just don't see any team using a 1st round pick on McGahee. That's too risky.

And Jeff Faine just may sneak back into round 1. He may be that rare, special center, whose drive, smarts, and attitude elevate him higher than his athletic ability would justify. He's a 2nd or 3rd round athetic talent who will always play big, IMO. And he's as tough as they come, always playing well even when injured.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
When the dust settles, the Patriots at this point look like they're going to have the best off-season so far.
Amazing considering they're only two years out from winning it all.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Only two things wrong with your mock, one is that just as skkorp said no1 will waste a first round pick on mcgahee and number two kyle boller wil not be taken before leftwich. I think Boller might actually drop into the second round. The rest i agree with.

OP
OP
H

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
SKORP,
i got it from fox sports.com/nfl
ya willis in the first round might be a streatch but i still think who ever gets him 1st or eary 2nd round just might if he is healthy and stays that way could end up w/ quite possibly the biggest steal in the draft and oh ya faine will most likley find his way back.:wave:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
mcgahee

If I had two low first rounders, I'd use one him.

A 235 pound back with "4.3" speed, vision and game-breaker runs against top competition...

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
If I had two low first rounders, I'd use one him.

A 235 pound back with "4.3" speed, vision and game-breaker runs against top competition...

And let's not forget that the Raiders compete with the Bengals annually in making those head-scratching first round selections.

OP
OP
H

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
your right leftwitch WILL BE DRAFTED B4 BOLLER
the olny qb's that should be drafted in the 1st rd. are lefty and then palmer the rest can fight it out for the top ten in the 2nd or better yet the 3rd rd. for all i care
oh ya sec.11 the pats are looking ridiculasly good so far

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
In case any of you were wondering what happened to Brian Delucia and Pro Football Digest, Brian now overseas Fox's NFL site. I guarantee what you find there will be good info, though I am somewhat prejudiced by the fact I used to write for Brian. He and Dave Te consistantly had the best drafts when I did my numerical post-draft rating. This one is done by Judge, I believe. However, if Brian doesn't do his own, he will undoubtedly influence this one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
Only two things wrong with your mock, one is that just as skkorp said no1 will waste a first round pick on mcgahee and number two kyle boller wil not be taken before leftwich. I think Boller might actually drop into the second round. The rest i agree with.

Boller was on local(channel 5) tv last night and they showed clips of him working out in Baltimore for the Ravens(Billick and Ozzie Newsome were watching). he did the from his knees on the 50 yard line through the goalpost trick(amazing) and while it doesn't come up in games, it does impress you.

Billick raves, says he's got everything you want and he says they have Boller rated as a top 10 pick. The reporter said talking to NFL scouts they're hearing the same thing, top 10 pick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05