A Potential Problem?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First off I'll say that I agree with the team's decision not to play the starters in the PS games. But come cut down day, could it become a problem? Since our reserves are playing a lot, that means there is a ton of tape for other teams to evaluate them. Now, from a players POV this is a good thing in case you get cut, another team might see something on film and claim that player. So, will it impact decisions on who to cut and who to keep? For instance, Player A has more experience and is ahead of Player B, who is deemed to have more upside. In a perfect world you keep Player A, and cut Player B and then bring him back to the PS. But with more intel available on Player B, does it lessen his chances to clear waivers? Or is it no different from other years?

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First off I'll say that I agree with the team's decision not to play the starters in the PS games. But come cut down day, could it become a problem? Since our reserves are playing a lot, that means there is a ton of tape for other teams to evaluate them. Now, from a players POV this is a good thing in case you get cut, another team might see something on film and claim that player. So, will it impact decisions on who to cut and who to keep? For instance, Player A has more experience and is ahead of Player B, who is deemed to have more upside. In a perfect world you keep Player A, and cut Player B and then bring him back to the PS. But with more intel available on Player B, does it lessen his chances to clear waivers? Or is it no different from other years?
Although it’s funny to think anyone would snipe any of our players I see your point.

Guys like Weaver and Hall come to mind. Two dudes that have had really solid to above average preseasons but will have a hard time making the roster. It’s always been hard for me to evaluate how good guys like this really are though based on the guys they are playing against.

Hall seems like a gamer but is he better than Clark ? Not sure

Weaver looks like a good get but does he beat out guys like Moore or Pascal? Maybe

Can we get either on the PS ? We will see

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Teams have to add these guys to their active roster, or they get the choice to what practice squad they'd like to join. Are any of these guys good enough to make another 53 -- ahead of the hundreds of other players released from the 30 other NFL teams?

Probably not. Every team has a Hall or Weaver or Clark or Pascal. They've known their guys longer.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you look at our rb’s and WR’s I don’t see why it silly to think another team would pick one of our cuts.
I will be shocked if we don’t pick up a few camp cuts. I hope we don’t do the “ wait until after week one” thing because of contract guarantees, if that’s still a thing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When you look at our rb’s and WR’s I don’t see why it silly to think another team would pick one of our cuts.
Because there's nothing really special about any of the guys we're likely to cut at those positions? It's not crazy to think so, but it's not obvious that these guys belong on everyone's 53, either.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
K9 kinda beat me to it. In theory, yes. In reality, I don't know that there are too many players talented enough to get sniped.

I agree. This team has a much deeper roster than last season but I don't think there are many positions where another team would consider signing one of our cut players. The only exception might be RB and maybe CB because there is a bunch of youth there and the team doesn't have room for them all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who exactly are you worried about losing?

I am not seeing anyone who isn't a lock for the roster that is balling out.

I'm just not seeing anything to be concerned about here.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because there's nothing really special about any of the guys we're likely to cut at those positions? It's not crazy to think so, but it's not obvious that these guys belong on everyone's 53, either.
Well, I’ll agree to disagree. If Carter or Zay Jones were to get cut, some team is depleted to a point at those positions.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Everyone in the League knew about his arrest well before the FA period opened. The Cardinals signed him with prior knowledge of his arrest. Why would they suddenly change their mind?
There could be more behind the scenes on this one. It also brings up the question of why the hell we signed him in the first place.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
We only have about 40 to 45 NFL quality players on our roster. The chance of a player being released from our roster and being pickup by another team is close to zero.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We only have about 40 to 45 NFL quality players on our roster. The chance of a player being released from our roster and being pickup by another team is close to zero.
Something to track. At least, you made a statement about how good you think our roster looks.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if true, then with all those draft picks and cap room, Monti has failed -- 13 guys who wouldnt make another roster!

i might buy that the last 3-4 guys on the roster are potential NFL players who need development, but currently cant be trusted with extended reps in the regular season

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky