About the Defense

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was wondering (and I will need some help with this) if anyone else thought there was a lack of blitzing by the Cardinals in this game? From what I could see our defense seemed pretty vanilla with a 4 man rush and dropping the rest into coverage. Not many blitzes or stunts at any point in the game.

The reason I ask is that I remember last year that Clancy or Green wanted to play more base defense to prevent big plays. I also remember that we started off the same on defense last year as well.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They seemed to be concerned about getting beat deep by the recievers and had an extra corner out there. When they did blitz they sent a DB but he always got man handled.....

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
I was wondering (and I will need some help with this) if anyone else thought there was a lack of blitzing by the Cardinals in this game? From what I could see our defense seemed pretty vanilla with a 4 man rush and dropping the rest into coverage. Not many blitzes or stunts at any point in the game.

The reason I ask is that I remember last year that Clancy or Green wanted to play more base defense to prevent big plays. I also remember that we started off the same on defense last year as well.

I thought the same. Also offense looked vanilla too? With Edge, I would thought we attack with a lot more play action...

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Some have suggested (Harry) that the Cardinals should have vanillia-game-planning to prevent Seattle from preparing.

I thought we looked pretty basic on Offense and Defense; perhaps the Cardinals thought their talent would see them through SF and they would bring the full-playbook for the Seahacks.

Dangerous, but if that is so, we should see more of a Clancy type attack next week.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
We should have taken advantage of the HOME FIELD and blitzed and passed our way to a blowout of the 49ers...all we did by being conservative yesterday was bring back the naysayers, look like the "same old Cardinals" and frustrate the hell out of 60K fans who thought the first quarter was going to build more momentum rather than appear to 'sit on a safe lead' and not do anything too risky. It was like 'now we have to cater to Edge' since we rolled up some points without him getting all the attention'...
Penalties and missed tackles like yesterday will get us smashed by our next few opponents and the ugliness could begin early!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i noticed at times we had 3 safeties in griffith, wilson and fransico on the field

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redheart said:
Some have suggested (Harry) that the Cardinals should have vanillia-game-planning to prevent Seattle from preparing.

I thought we looked pretty basic on Offense and Defense; perhaps the Cardinals thought their talent would see them through SF and they would bring the full-playbook for the Seahacks.

Dangerous, but if that is so, we should see more of a Clancy type attack next week.

Yeah, I agree. I think they believed they could beat San Francisco straight up without breaking out the fancy blitz packages. Wilson played more cover two in yesterdays' game than he did all of the last eight games of last year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
i noticed at times we had 3 safeties in griffith, wilson and fransico on the field

Particularly on the last 2 drives we seemed to have 6 DB's in most of that drive and we rushed only 3.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think i saw it earlier in the game too but just an observation

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Redheart said:

Very interesting if true, and it almost hit us where it would have hurt worst.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
i think i saw it earlier in the game too but just an observation

Probably true I did see francisco in quite a bit. He played quite well.

Tim

Reaction score
Francisco will be a starting FS in this league. He has very good range, is a good sure tackler, and he plays with that intensity that will make him feared.

Did anyone see him hit the wedge on that kickoff? He absolutely lit up one of their backup lineman, then jumped up and tried to catch up to the ballcarrier. With him and Milligan as gunners, our special teams are going to have some nice collisions this year.

Reaction score
Tim said:
Francisco will be a starting FS in this league. He has very good range, is a good sure tackler, and he plays with that intensity that will make him feared.

Did anyone see him hit the wedge on that kickoff? He absolutely lit up one of their backup lineman, then jumped up and tried to catch up to the ballcarrier.
I commented elsewhere that was the HIT of the game!!!

Reaction score
Redheart said:

I have been wondering the same thing, particularly after they put 21 points up in the first quarter. Yesterday was a win and that's great, but this week against Seattle we will find out what kind of team this years Cardinals will be...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Redheart said:

It's even more curious when you consider the left side of SF's line was out for an extended period due to injury. They we're playing Wragge for heavens sake. Surprised we didn't attack them more from the left side.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's what I was confused about. We have this great pressure defense that just dropped back and let Alex Smith take his time and throw. No real blitz packages to be seen. Now, I can understand the missed tackles and blind pursuit due to the emotional nature of this team and the electricity of the atmosphere. It was apparent by the drops by Boldin and Fitzgerald that even these two were a little overwhelmed by the scene and tried to do too much.

Next week I think that we will see the more attacking defense and the nerves will have faded a bit.