Al Johnson officially released

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Damn Al. We hardly knew ye. Injuries are a ******** man. I truly was excited after his signing.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
At least we front loaded his contract so the cap isn't affected next season.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need Joe to give us a sense of the savings on this year's cap. No doubt will help with in-season extensions.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone want to guess which former Dallas Cowboy gets paid millions to do next to nothing for the Cardinals?

Or maybe, just maybe, the front office has realized they no longer need to be Dallas West to make money?

Thank you Sean Morey and the rest of the punt block team.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
per Urbans blog

I'm not totally sure about the salary cap ramifications; I am guessing the only way this whole sequence benefits the Cards is if they save the pro-rated remainder of Johnson's salary (which was $3.5 million). Johnson was pretty sure this was coming since

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that he was released without a settlement. That must mean he checked out as healthy, you can't cut an injured player. If so, we should clear about 2.2mil in cap space.

On the other hand, reading it again, maybe he did get an injury settlement. In that case, he might have gotten more than his salary up to this point.

Regardless, it's pretty clear the team wants to do an extension or two before the deadline. Hopefully, they can get a couple of them done and remove some angst from the offseason.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good, he sucked at runblocking. We're a better team without him. :)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
One of the more disappointing free agent signings that I can remember.

Worse than Holt? Yes

Worse than Ross? Close but Yes.

Starks? Yes.

Hmmm. Can't think of any FA over the last seven or eight years that has been less productive.

Oddly enough, you might make a case that Gruttadoria was equally disappointing.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Worse than Holt? Yes

Starks? Yes.

Hmmm. Can't think of any FA over the last seven or eight years that has been less productive.

I was going to argue this post a bit, but decided it's like arguing about which turd stinks the least.

hepcat

Reaction score

Worse than Holt? Yes

Starks? Yes.

Holt signed on with Carolina this offseason and was cut after the pre-season. Never caught on...he looked decent in camp but rookie Charles Godfrey really came in and claimed the position. We have another Cardinals cast-off in Jeremy Bridges that will likely be starting for the injured rookie Jeff Otah at RT this weekend. Bridges had some kind of misdemeanor I think last season and was suspended for a few games. He's been a starter on the line on occasion, and been decent.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Holt signed on with Carolina this offseason and was cut after the pre-season. Never caught on...he looked decent in camp but rookie Charles Godfrey really came in and claimed the position. We have another Cardinals cast-off in Jeremy Bridges that will likely be starting for the injured rookie Jeff Otah at RT this weekend. Bridges had some kind of misdemeanor I think last season and was suspended for a few games. He's been a starter on the line on occasion, and been decent.

Not a big deal about your FS. It's probably the least important full-time position, offense or defense.

Bridges? Oh yeah, decent feet & good work ethic too. Wish we had kept him instead of Johnson.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not a big deal about your FS. It's probably the least important full-time position, offense or defense.

Bridges? Oh yeah, decent feet & good work ethic too. Wish we had kept him instead of Johnson.

If im not mistaken, Bridges is starting on the O-line for Carolina, right?? What a great option!!

Should be easy to jump over his fat ass while he is lying flat on his back :D

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Huge bummer about Al, but the silver lining is that we found Lyle, the kid is solid and full of potential!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Anyone want to guess which former Dallas Cowboy gets paid millions to do next to nothing for the Cardinals?

Or maybe, just maybe, the front office has realized they no longer need to be Dallas West to make money?

Thank you Sean Morey and the rest of the punt block team.

Just Pittsburg west then ?

:number1:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Worse than Holt? Yes

Starks? Yes.

Al Johnson was better than all three. He was damaged goods but a definate upgrade for us for a while.

Then again our center position was awful. 40yrfan could have done a better job fending off players with his walker.

:checksoffoldjokequota:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow crappy I thought Al Johnson would pay off for us to bad he didn't :( gl in the future Johnson

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
How is Nate Salley doing? I always liked him at OSU. I know he hurt his knee last year but i see he's on the 2 deep. Dan Connor is another guy you guys have that i was wondering about. I doesn't look like he's had any impact at all.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I was going to argue this post a bit, but decided it's like arguing about which turd stinks the least.

I think he is the top of the list only becuase he took up 7 Mill of the cap space last year. What a waste and what horrible advice the coaching staff and GM got from the medical staff that looked him over.

Also someone already stated it but it will be a cap savings of just under 2.2 Mill. But we will only have a savings of 1.1 Mill until the inevitable grievance is settled. We only get half of the cap savings until the grievance is settled or he signs with another team thus nullifing the grievance.

But if he is healthy it should be an easy grievance for us to win.