Amare before microfracture

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
You know, it's not even really his raw elevation. That's almost back to what it was. It's the speed at which he used to get up, and that first step to the basket that's note quite the same.

But considering that he's been on a steady slope upward since he came back from his injury, it's not unrealistic to think that he could still reach his previous level of athleticism. At the very least, we know that Amare is still more than able to put up video game numbers in the playoffs. And that's pretty fun to watch as it is. :)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
You know, it's not even really his raw elevation. That's almost back to what it was. It's the speed at which he used to get up, and that first step to the basket that's note quite the same.

But considering that he's been on a steady slope upward since he came back from his injury, it's not unrealistic to think that he could still reach his previous level of athleticism. At the very least, we know that Amare is still more than able to put up video game numbers in the playoffs. And that's pretty fun to watch as it is. :)

This is correct, but eventually that goes away after a few years in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

i don't think i agree that he'll get back to where he was. but you're spot on in regards to the speed and i think you add fluidity. he was so fast, not only first step fast, but laterally quick. and his ability to put the ball on the floor and weave through traffic . . . wow.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
He was the super combo of I guess:

Super fast (including just ridiculous lateral speed)
Super hops
Super strong finish (one handed power dunk)
Super fast patented spin move of death (D'antoni doesn't allow him to do this much anymore since it puts strain on his knee)
Super sidestep/crossover dribble if the PF/C was in front of him (never really see this anymore)

Such a nasty combo of things, it is still great to have him but back then he was a pure 100% unstoppable scoring machine.

Now he is more beefy though, a lot more powerful when he goes toward the basket instead of weaving and spinning around people at mach 10. It was nice to see all that ridiculous flashiness back then but he is beastly in different ways now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at Amare's size now though. He is much bigger. He has more of a Power Forward body now then back then. He almost looked Small Forward ish back then. You could see that he could cross over and move latterly more. I think it's a combo of the knee and his size now that prevents him from doing that anymore.

Also, notice that in those highlights when Amare power dunked his arms were cocked back at almost 90 degrees before the slam. He doesn't do that anymore either. I think it's because he is not getting as high anymore.

Amare still is a beast to behold but it's obvious he will never sky as high or move as quick as he once did. Imagine if Amare still had that combo of speed and hops now at his size. That would be scary. Having said that he is still one of the best big men in the league right now and still scary.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The thing that makes me happy is that every time (and I mean EVERY) I watch amare play he does something that makes me say, "man he couldnt have done that 2 months ago" ....

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that play at 55 seconds just makes me laugh. One thing I won't miss is Shawn's penchant for botched layups. Jeez.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05