Amare is "about 100%"

mkapp

CheesyPoof!
Reaction score
Amare says he's "about 100 percent"
By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
October 14, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- Italy was good for Amare Stoudemire.

The dynamic Phoenix Suns power forward said Saturday that he's "about 100 percent" healthy after his up-and-down recovery from microfracture knee surgery.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Right now I haven't felt any pain, no discomfort," he said. "I'm glad to be back."

The Suns returned from their European training camp Thursday and held an open practice for fans Saturday before leaving for Las Vegas, where they play the Los Angeles Lakers in a preseason game Sunday night.

Stoudemire's status looked shaky at best last week when stiffness in his knees forced him to sit out a practice in Italy.

Since then, he's participated in every practice and the team's two preseason games in Germany.

"I had a day off practice and then that next day I just felt great," Stoudemire said. "Then I came back on back-to-back practices and felt even better. Then I came back for the game and felt even better. Each day I've been feeling better."

Coach Mike D'Antoni is encouraged.

"He's looking better on the court," D'Antoni said. "Every once in a while he'll explode with a big dunk. You see him running better and he's more fluid, so it has to be good news."

The 24-year-old underwent surgery on his left knee a year ago, shortly after signing a five-year, $73 million contract.

He tried to come back last March, playing in three games before shutting it down. Eventually, he had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Since then, he has had good days and bad days, but believes he has finally broken through.

"It's tough to get in shape, it's tough to do certain things when you're feeling pain every time you make a move," Stoudemire said. "Now that that's over, I'm ready to roll."

Stoudemire drew a big cheer when he was introduced to the fans at U.S. Airways Center on Saturday. In the team's brief public scrimmage, his most notable play was an emphatic blocked shot.

"That was nice, to finally be back within the team," he said, "just enjoying the atmosphere. It's great. It's been a long time coming. Last season was so painful to go through."

Stoudemire's teammates are not placing all their hopes on the big guy returning to the dominant form he showed two seasons ago.

Steve Nash noted the Suns made it to the Western Conference finals a year ago before being eliminated by Dallas.

"Last year we were pretty close without him," he said. "If Raja (Bell) hadn't tweaked his calf I think we had a great chance to win that series. It would be awesome to have him, but if we don't we still feel like we've got a lot of good pieces to work with."

D'Antoni doesn't know if Stoudemire will be a starter when the Suns open the season Oct. 31 at the Los Angeles Clippers. Nash said working Stoudemire into the mix "is going to take some time."

"We've played together for a year without him and our game was a little different than it was the year before," Nash said, "so I think it's' going to take time to fit him back into the system."

Stoudemire said he still needs a periodic day off, and the Suns are being patient.

"If we can get Amare back 100 percent by opening day, great," D'Antoni said. "If not, sometime during the season he'll be 100 percent. We've just got to mesh everybody together and keep playing and knock wood and see what we can do."

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
the depth they have this year is gonna be awesome. nash should play 30 min max a game and be ready for the playoffs at full strength

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
D'Antoni doesn't know if Stoudemire will be a starter when the Suns open the season Oct. 31 at the Los Angeles Clippers.
Well, Bob, perhaps if you asked him if he would start against the Lakers on that date, he could have given you a better answer... ;)

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
100%? Unless he was a lot worse than I remembered him 2 years ago he is not 100%. He looked more like 80% in practice today.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Call me a pessimist but we heard this 2398 times from Penny Hardaway and a few days later he'd be back under the knife. Until I see him play "about 100%" on the court, like doing an Amare like dunk than I don't believe it

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I know it was just 10 minutes but he was just so slow. He doesen't even compare to the Amare of 2004 yet but I'm sure he'll get close to that eventually.

What Ryan said....

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I understand it, 100% is refering to his health. Obviously he won't look like the Amare of old yet because of conditioning and strength differences.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, 100% is refering to his health. Obviously he won't look like the Amare of old yet because of conditioning and strength differences.

That was how I read it, too. He knows he has a way to go yet but now he can get back and play because he's feeling good with no pain or stiffness. That's big, though -- if he feels he can trust the knees it will be a lot easier for him to get his legs and wind back, build strength, and regain his game form. He's been off a long time. I'd be surprised to see Amare in the starting lineup before at least a month or two into the season, even if he wants to be there. But .................. I do really like surprises.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
100% is good. he's only got 80 or 90 more % to go before he'll be the old amare!

hopefully tomorrow he won't show up and start talking about how yesterday compared to today is like 'night and day'...i think i've heard to many amare-isms and am beginning to understand amare-ology.

Puppet

Reaction score
As pleased as I am to hear Amare is coming along well, I am sick to death of hearing he is 80%, then 100%, back to 80%, now back to 100% and so on. Any credibility his percentages had went out the window weeks ago. But I suppose reporters are always bombarding him with questions about his health so he has to tell them something. Even so, I won't be convinced he's back at full health until it's December and he's still in the lineup.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As pleased as I am to hear Amare is coming along well, I am sick to death of hearing he is 80%, then 100%, back to 80%, now back to 100% and so on. Any credibility his percentages had went out the window weeks ago. But I suppose reporters are always bombarding him with questions about his health so he has to tell them something. Even so, I won't be convinced he's back at full health until it's December and he's still in the lineup.

If I made this post I would be put on a cross and crucified...lol

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I made this post I would be put on a cross and crucified...lol

I don't think so... at least so long as you didn't use the magic word... micro something or other.

Actually I believe Suns fans have petitioned to have the word removed from the English language or any other form where it may exist.

:)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yahoo Weather should have a feature where you enter PHX#1 as the zip code, and it gives you the five-day forecast for Stoudemire's health percentage.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05