And the slide begins!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
The way I figure it, the Suns NEED homecourt to beat the Spurs.

Why worry about facing either Denver or Memphis in the first round if we know we would just get trounced in the WCF without home court?

In other words, I want the Spurs to slide as much as they possibly can so the Suns can lock up first place in the West.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's funny - but if it came down to a Game 7 against the Spurs - and this may sound INSANE - but I'd rather it be in SA. The Spurs are a classic - situation's too tight choke squad - Duncan has NEVER impressed me in a close game and considering how much better we seem to play on the road - especially JJ, I'd rather see us on the road than at home with all the pressure in the world on our shoulders.

To be honest - I don't really care who we play in the first round - whoever it is - the Nugz or Grizzlies, it'll be tough, but I'm confident we'll win in 6.

fordronken

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
it's funny - but if it came down to a Game 7 against the Spurs - and this may sound INSANE - but I'd rather it be in SA. The Spurs are a classic - situation's too tight choke squad - Duncan has NEVER impressed me in a close game and considering how much better we seem to play on the road - especially JJ, I'd rather see us on the road than at home with all the pressure in the world on our shoulders.

To be honest - I don't really care who we play in the first round - whoever it is - the Nugz or Grizzlies, it'll be tough, but I'm confident we'll win in 6.

I'm less concerned about Denver than Memphis, but to be honest, I am pretty confident the Suns will start kicking ass come playoff time. I have a feeling Q will really end up being a big playoff boost.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I agree with all of this. We play better on the road than any other team in the NBA (although the Spurs play much better at home than any other team in the NBA). I don't care who we play in the 1st round because we should be able to beat any of these teams in a 7 game series (if we can't then we don't deserve to be there anyways).

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
It will be taking away Spurs home court advantage rather than gaining for us. We are not as bad at home as they are good at home. Is that confusing or what...?
:hulk:

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Spurs are almost unstoppable at home and not that great away...we're close to even away and at home..maybe a little better away but there isn't that big of a difference. There is a huge difference between the Spurs away record and home record...would much rather have home court advantage with them...

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I want to hear people say now that the Spurs really aren't that good because they are nothing without Duncan, kind of like us with Nash.

Shocking, really, that when a team loses its leader they are not nearly as good as they are with him.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow we might end up with the best record in the west and possibly the whole league..who would have thunk it?!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
green machine said:
I want to hear people say now that the Spurs really aren't that good because they are nothing without Duncan, kind of like us with Nash.

Shocking, really, that when a team loses its leader they are not nearly as good as they are with him.

i've been thinking the same thing! where are all the articles?!? it's ridiculous. and saying the suns will fold in the playoffs b/c of nash's injuries when over the last 5 years or so duncan has prolly missed more games, including playoff games.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The logic that somehow you're better off by losing has never made any sense to me.

The only exception might be if you're locked into a certain position with a couple of games left. Then you might rest some guys but even in that situation I don't think I've ever seen a team TRY to loose. I've also seen it backfire when a good team backs into the playoffs they can be out of sink and loose the first game to a team that fought like dogs just to get in.

Before the lotto there were teams throwing games to try and get the worst record but that's a different story.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The logic that somehow you're better off by losing has never made any sense to me.

The only exception might be if you're locked into a certain position with a couple of games left. Then you might rest some guys but even in that situation I don't think I've ever seen a team TRY to loose. I've also seen it backfire when a good team backs into the playoffs they can be out of sink and loose the first game to a team that fought like dogs just to get in.

Before the lotto there were teams throwing games to try and get the worst record but that's a different story.

no one's advocating the players try and loose devil - just talking about what would be the best scenario to beat a particular squad - personally - I just think we have a better shot of beating SA on the road in a Game 7 than we do at home - too much pressure and we play a hell of a lot better on the road.

Also - for those wanting to see article about Duncan going down - people ARE saying that they will need a healthy Duncan to beat us, but I do agree the ridiculous amount of piling on when Nash went down was borderline ******** - of course if the MVP of the team/league goes down that team is screwed - duh!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
no one's advocating the players try and loose devil - just talking about what would be the best scenario to beat a particular squad - personally - I just think we have a better shot of beating SA on the road in a Game 7 than we do at home - too much pressure and we play a hell of a lot better on the road.

Also - for those wanting to see article about Duncan going down - people ARE saying that they will need a healthy Duncan to beat us, but I do agree the ridiculous amount of piling on when Nash went down was borderline ******** - of course if the MVP of the team/league goes down that team is screwed - duh!

This is flawed I think. SA has only lost 3 games at home all season. I don't think we want to go through San Antonio.
The Suns have not been great at home but I would rather have the home court than not.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
This is flawed I think. SA has only lost 3 games at home all season. I don't think we want to go through San Antonio.
The Suns have not been great at home but I would rather have the home court than not.

SA is a classic playoff choke team. You put them in a Game 7 on their homecourt and I'm much more confident they go down than playing us on the road where we've played poorly against the top teams all year long - especially JJ.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The slide won't be official unless Atlanta beats them! :D

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
SA is a classic playoff choke team. You put them in a Game 7 on their homecourt and I'm much more confident they go down than playing us on the road where we've played poorly against the top teams all year long - especially JJ.

Yea, like when we blew out Miami and Indiana by 40. That sucked. :D

Sorry but we are not that bad at home. If there is a game 7 to be played I think we want that game at home. San Antonio is not a great road team but they are exceptional at home this year.

If they are that big of choke artists (I don't believe that because they have two titles) then what difference does it make where they choke? :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Spurs choked last season in the Laker's series. Prior to that, they won twice. They lost three years to the Lakers, but that was hardly evidence of choking.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I really can't fathom how people would want the spurs to have the homecourt advantage.

Look at it this way, even though our record says we are better on the road...

The spurs are even better at home than we are on the road. No way we want game 7 in SA. Period.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this Phoenix Suns team. Don't get me wrong. That said, I'm having difficulty even thinking about a conference finals matchup with San Antonio. I have very little confidence that the Suns will be able to get out of the first-round lead alone make it all the way to the conference finals. The possible first-round match ups are just frightening. Denver, Minnesota, and even Memphis are just ugly match ups.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously the Suns have to pick it up, but my real concern is that their outside shooting seems to be declining. This team is so dependent on hitting threes that when they go cold against a good team, Amare is just not enough.

I don't know why the Suns acted like there was lid on the basket against the Hawks, but obviously if they go cold they have no chance because their defense is not strong enough for that kind of game. My guess is that better ball movement would help, but they have to hit their open shots.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I really can't fathom how people would want the spurs to have the homecourt advantage.

Look at it this way, even though our record says we are better on the road...

The spurs are even better at home than we are on the road. No way we want game 7 in SA. Period.

And, if the Spurs struggle at all, they struggle on the road. So it doesn't make sense to want the Spurs to have home court.

We really need to forget about the jockeying right now. The Suns need to work on playing the best ball they can, winning every game they can, keeping everyone healthy, and improving their defense for a playoff run.

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
Did you consider that Spurs without Duncan might finish #3?

Depending on how long Tim is going to be out Sonics might finish second and secure HCA in semifinals.
Theoretically speaking I would be pleased to face Sonics instead of Spurs in west finals.
So... let the slide continue.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05