Anquan - HBO's Inside the NFL

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
This week's Inside The NFL had a story about the Quan in the Ram game. They showed a few of his great RAC's, and then showed him sitting on the sideline during a series of passing plays. He was miked at one point, where he turned to BJ (I think it was BJ, who was also on the sidelines) and said "Did you hear what I told him? I said dont take us out on passing plays."

I noticed BJ and Quan running off the field right before Warner's interception toss at the end of the second quarter. Why do you take your best player (Q) off the field at a time like that? It is the absolute height of coaching stupidity.

On a side note, I wish Collingsworth and Marino would replace Theisman and Kornholio.

Go Big Red!

:koolaid:

Last edited:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This week's Inside The NFL had a story about the Quan in the Ram game. They showed a few of his great RAC's, and then showed him sitting on the sideline during a series of passing plays. He was miked at one point, where he turned to BJ (I think it was BJ, who was also on the sidelines) and said "Did you hear what I told him? I said dont take us out on passing plays."

I noticed BJ and Quan running off the field right before Warner's interception toss at the end of the second quarter. Why do you take your best player (Q) off the field at a time like that? It is the absolute height of coaching stupidity.

On a side note, I wish Collingsworth and Marino would replace Theisman and Kornholio.

Go Big Red!

:koolaid:

Because they were trying to sell the run. In hingsight wasn't the greatest call, but it's not that uncommon.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
On the Warner pick that was batted up...the first one in the red zone...on the shot they showed on HBO you could see Edge at least 5-7 yard downfield waving his arms around so Warner could see him because there was noone around him. Instead Kurt forced it into double coverage and it got picked.

No wonder Edge was pissed.

archicard

Reaction score
What I didn't understand at the game (and still don't) was why they had both Q and Fitz standing on the sidelines in the 3rd quarter for the three downs near the goalline leading up to the Warner pick in the endzone. I know that they wanted to prove that they could run it in (or maybe appease Edge's need for stats), but why take your two best offensive playmakers of the field? At the very least they would help to spread the defense and keep them out of the box because they would have to honor the threat of Q and Fitz. It still makes me shake my head...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Boldin looks much heavier than last year. Almost H Back size now. Perfect for bowling over DB's.

Also saw Q get caught from behind by Adeyanju the Ram DE. That guy can move for a dlineman.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I didn't understand at the game (and still don't) was why they had both Q and Fitz standing on the sidelines in the 3rd quarter for the three downs near the goalline leading up to the Warner pick in the endzone. I know that they wanted to prove that they could run it in (or maybe appease Edge's need for stats), but why take your two best offensive playmakers of the field? At the very least they would help to spread the defense and keep them out of the box because they would have to honor the threat of Q and Fitz. It still makes me shake my head...

A good guess would be as someone else said they simply wanted to make the Rams believe they were going to run there.

archicard

Reaction score
Perception vs. Reality...Who cares what the Rams think we are going to do? Why wouldn't you put your two best players on the field in a goal to go situation? We ran the Jumbo package twice with marginal results, put Fitz and Q on the field on the for third down, and if you are still hell bent on running, run out that package. Atleast the Rams would have to honor Q and Fitz and not stack the box.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perception vs. Reality...Who cares what the Rams think we are going to do? Why wouldn't you put your two best players on the field in a goal to go situation? We ran the Jumbo package twice with marginal results, put Fitz and Q on the field on the for third down, and if you are still hell bent on running, run out that package. Atleast the Rams would have to honor Q and Fitz and not stack the box.

Because they wanted the Rams to think we were still going to run the ball and the best way they figured to do that was have our 2 best players on the sideline as a decoy? I don't know, I'm not a coach, but it would seem to be the only logical rationale for having them both off the field. We tried to fool them and then pass, it didn't work, and we paid for it.

If you bring them both in it makes it look that much more likely you're going to throw. Having them on the field probably doesn't change the outcome of that play anyways I'm just taking an educated guess at why they were on the sideline, as decoys.

archicard

Reaction score
So, in essence, we blew our best opportunity to score by faking ourselves out. That's brilliant strategy. Can't wait to see what Rowen comes up with this week.

"I'm just taking an educated guess"
Don't you know that educated and cardinals playcalling are rarely mentioned in the same sentence? :)

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
So, in essence, we blew our best opportunity to score by faking ourselves out.

Whatever happened to getting the ball up in the air over the DB to Fitz? It's a quick developing play at the goal line that's tough to defend and it won't get picked off easily.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to getting the ball up in the air over the DB to Fitz? It's a quick developing play at the goal line that's tough to defend and it won't get picked off easily.

In theory that's why he threw to Pope who's 6'8", but the throw was low because his elbow was tipped.

Note I'm not agreeing with Rowen having both on the sideline I just don't think it was an accident, I don't think he just substituted and then suddenly realized man I've got my 2 best Wr's standing on the sideline. I think he thought he could fool the Rams into loading up for the run, slip Pope into the back of the endzone, and get a TD. If the play works he looks smart, it didn't so now he looks like an idiot.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not even from a homerist perspective, but I think Boldin is the toughest WR to bring down in the league. In fact, the toughest WR in the league period. He's what David Boston could have been if he stayed off the juice, the blow and out of the nipple ring parlors

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to suggest the Goal Tend Play where Pope stands in front of the goal post and the QB tries to hit the bar. Then Pope can just jump up and catch the ball.........TD really easy, don't ya think ?