Anyone Have Chad Fords Chat from Today

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Here you go...

Chad Ford: Hey everyone, thanks for coming. Let's get rolling. Lots to talk about today.

Matt (Orlando): Chad, what do you make of Kwame in LA? Can he possibly think to put up any kind of numbers against the likes of Stoudamire, Duncan, Garnett, K.Mart, etc.?? I'm a little baffled by the Lakers wanting him....

Chad Ford: It's a little odd on all fronts. I think Kwame needed to go to a young team in a small market that would try to feature him. He's never gotten many touches in Washington and needed a fresh start. Being in LA actually ups the pressure and with Kobe and Lamar Odom, it's unlikely that he'll get many more shots. I think Kwame still has tons of potential, but after four years of mediocrity, I'm not sure how much longer we can say that. One important thing to note is that the Lakers are only committing to two years. That minimizes the risk.

MLeavey (Owings Mills): Hey Chad. Personally, I think Caron Butler and either Atkins or George is a heist for the Wizards. Ernie deserves a lot of credit for getting a capable 2 to replace Larry Hughes. Now, the Wizards are a front court player away from really being dangerous. Can the Wizards find front court help anywhere?

Chad Ford: I agree. I'm a Butler fan. I think he was one of the most consistent players for the Lakers last season. I'm not convinced he's a two, but I think Eddie Jordan will get creative. I also agree that the Wizards were smart not to break the bank for Hughes. I love Hughes, but not at $14 million a year. The other under reported part of this trade has to do with the cap. Butler and either Atkins or George are all in the last year of their contracts. That could put the Wizards as much as $10 million under the cap next season as well. Great trade for the Wizards. A risky one with huge upside for the Lakers.

clearthoughtz (DC): What are your thoughts on the Knicks picking up Jerome James and what kind of affect will that have on the Sonics?

Chad Ford: If James plays the way he did in this year's playoffs against the Kings, this will be a steal for the Knicks. If he plays the way he's played the rest of his career, it will be a disaster. The Knicks needed size. With Kwame heading to LA, this was the best they could do. As for Seattle, there was no way they were going to give him a five year deal after the last three years. The problem is that the Sonics have only two inexperienced center, high schooler Robert Swift and first round draft pick Johan Petro. That's not going to be enough if they plan on competing again this year. The Sonics have flirted with making an offer for Samuel Dalembert or Eddy Curry, but they'd have to renounce their rights to all their free agents to do it.

John (Irvine): Is Cutino Mobley a good addition towards making the Clippers a playoff team? What else do they need to do this summer to improve?

Chad Ford: I feel bad for the Clippers. I think they've got a nice young core, a good coach and that owner Donald Sterling has changed his ways (at least a little bit). But they still can't get a top tier free agent to sign their. They were very close with both Kobe and Ray Allen. Instead they have to settle for Mobley at 5 years, $42 million. I'm not a big Mobley fan. I think he provides some outside shooting, and his lack of size shouldn't be an issue with Shaun Livingston on the floor ... but he's still a major downgrade from what the Clippers had hoped to achieve. By my calculations the Clippers still should have around $10 million left under the cap to sign free agents. They've made an offer to Shareef Abdur-Rahim. But ...

Gavin (NY, NY): Chad, what is the status of the NJ-Portland-Shareef talks? Do you think this will eventually get done?

Chad Ford: Reef wants to play in NJ. They have a $4.9 million trade exception they are trying to use. They can offer him a 6 year, $37 million dollar deal if they can get the Blazers to agree. Blazers want a first round pick. Nets don't want to give one up. If Abdur-Rahim has to settle for the mid-level, he's looking at a 5 year, $28-29 million dollar deal. The Kings and Spurs are also trying to swing a sign-and-trade with New Jersey. The Clippers are far enough under the cap that they can offer him more ... My gut is that Reef ends up in Jersey. He'd be a great fit there.

chuck phila: What kind of offer will Samuel Dalembert get and if it is too high will they (76ers) keep up with the pledge to match it

Chad Ford: Slamming Sammy is looking for a six year deal in the $70 million dollar range. I think it would have to be a max offer from a team like Atlanta before the Sixers would think twice about matching.

Phil (Cleveland): Seems like the Cavs want to deal Drew Gooden. Will there be any takers and what can they get?

Eric (Hampton, VA): Do you feel that Joe Johnson is worth the 5 years $70 million the Hawks have offered him? Should the Suns match the contract?

Chad Ford: He's not to the Hawks who are overloaded at the swing position right now. However, that is the market rate for two guards right now and Johnson had a great year. He's probably worth that to the Suns because, without him, their offense just won't be the same. I think they'll match.

Manu: What are the Spurs doing this summer? Luis Scola? Shareef?

Chad Ford: Just got off the phone with agent Herb Rudoy. He just told me that the Spurs agreed to a three year deal with Fabrico Oberto, the Argentian big man who has been one of the best players in Europe over the past five years. That pretty much ends talk of Scola coming this year. Abdur-Rahim would still be a possibility if they could get Portland to agree to a sign-and-trade for Rasho Nesterovic.

Art (Detroit): Chad, who has impressed you the most in the Vegas Leauge, maybe someone you didn't expect to play as well as they are playing.

Chad Ford: Nate Robinson, without question. He has been awesome. I think he's going to be a fan favorite in New York in no time. David Lee has also played well for the Knicks. A few surprises have been Eddie Basden, an undrafted swingman from Charlotte. He'll sign with the Bulls and I think he'll make their team. He's a terrific defender and he's really improved his offensive game over the last year. Maybe the next Trenton Hassell for the Bulls. Scouts have also been impressed with the Blazers' Travis Outlaw. It looks like their two years of patience has paid off. I'm hearing he could have a breakout year next season.

Chad Ford: Sorry guys. I have to run a few minutes early today. Thanks for all of your questions and we'll be sure to do this again next week.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Chad Ford: Hey everyone, thanks for coming. Let's get rolling. Lots to talk about today.

Matt (Orlando): Chad, what do you make of Kwame in LA? Can he possibly think to put up any kind of numbers against the likes of Stoudamire, Duncan, Garnett, K.Mart, etc.?? I'm a little baffled by the Lakers wanting him....

Chad Ford: It's a little odd on all fronts. I think Kwame needed to go to a young team in a small market that would try to feature him. He's never gotten many touches in Washington and needed a fresh start. Being in LA actually ups the pressure and with Kobe and Lamar Odom, it's unlikely that he'll get many more shots. I think Kwame still has tons of potential, but after four years of mediocrity, I'm not sure how much longer we can say that. One important thing to note is that the Lakers are only committing to two years. That minimizes the risk.

MLeavey (Owings Mills): Hey Chad. Personally, I think Caron Butler and either Atkins or George is a heist for the Wizards. Ernie deserves a lot of credit for getting a capable 2 to replace Larry Hughes. Now, the Wizards are a front court player away from really being dangerous. Can the Wizards find front court help anywhere?

Chad Ford: I agree. I'm a Butler fan. I think he was one of the most consistent players for the Lakers last season. I'm not convinced he's a two, but I think Eddie Jordan will get creative. I also agree that the Wizards were smart not to break the bank for Hughes. I love Hughes, but not at $14 million a year. The other under reported part of this trade has to do with the cap. Butler and either Atkins or George are all in the last year of their contracts. That could put the Wizards as much as $10 million under the cap next season as well. Great trade for the Wizards. A risky one with huge upside for the Lakers.

clearthoughtz (DC): What are your thoughts on the Knicks picking up Jerome James and what kind of affect will that have on the Sonics?

Chad Ford: If James plays the way he did in this year's playoffs against the Kings, this will be a steal for the Knicks. If he plays the way he's played the rest of his career, it will be a disaster. The Knicks needed size. With Kwame heading to LA, this was the best they could do. As for Seattle, there was no way they were going to give him a five year deal after the last three years. The problem is that the Sonics have only two inexperienced center, high schooler Robert Swift and first round draft pick Johan Petro. That's not going to be enough if they plan on competing again this year. The Sonics have flirted with making an offer for Samuel Dalembert or Eddy Curry, but they'd have to renounce their rights to all their free agents to do it.

John (Irvine): Is Cutino Mobley a good addition towards making the Clippers a playoff team? What else do they need to do this summer to improve?

Chad Ford: I feel bad for the Clippers. I think they've got a nice young core, a good coach and that owner Donald Sterling has changed his ways (at least a little bit). But they still can't get a top tier free agent to sign their. They were very close with both Kobe and Ray Allen. Instead they have to settle for Mobley at 5 years, $42 million. I'm not a big Mobley fan. I think he provides some outside shooting, and his lack of size shouldn't be an issue with Shaun Livingston on the floor ... but he's still a major downgrade from what the Clippers had hoped to achieve. By my calculations the Clippers still should have around $10 million left under the cap to sign free agents. They've made an offer to Shareef Abdur-Rahim. But ...

Gavin (NY, NY): Chad, what is the status of the NJ-Portland-Shareef talks? Do you think this will eventually get done?

Chad Ford: Reef wants to play in NJ. They have a $4.9 million trade exception they are trying to use. They can offer him a 6 year, $37 million dollar deal if they can get the Blazers to agree. Blazers want a first round pick. Nets don't want to give one up. If Abdur-Rahim has to settle for the mid-level, he's looking at a 5 year, $28-29 million dollar deal. The Kings and Spurs are also trying to swing a sign-and-trade with New Jersey. The Clippers are far enough under the cap that they can offer him more ... My gut is that Reef ends up in Jersey. He'd be a great fit there.

chuck phila: What kind of offer will Samuel Dalembert get and if it is too high will they (76ers) keep up with the pledge to match it

Chad Ford: Slamming Sammy is looking for a six year deal in the $70 million dollar range. I think it would have to be a max offer from a team like Atlanta before the Sixers would think twice about matching.

Phil (Cleveland): Seems like the Cavs want to deal Drew Gooden. Will there be any takers and what can they get?

Eric (Hampton, VA): Do you feel that Joe Johnson is worth the 5 years $70 million the Hawks have offered him? Should the Suns match the contract?

Chad Ford: He's not to the Hawks who are overloaded at the swing position right now. However, that is the market rate for two guards right now and Johnson had a great year. He's probably worth that to the Suns because, without him, their offense just won't be the same. I think they'll match.

Manu: What are the Spurs doing this summer? Luis Scola? Shareef?

Chad Ford: Just got off the phone with agent Herb Rudoy. He just told me that the Spurs agreed to a three year deal with Fabrico Oberto, the Argentian big man who has been one of the best players in Europe over the past five years. That pretty much ends talk of Scola coming this year. Abdur-Rahim would still be a possibility if they could get Portland to agree to a sign-and-trade for Rasho Nesterovic.

Art (Detroit): Chad, who has impressed you the most in the Vegas Leauge, maybe someone you didn't expect to play as well as they are playing.

Chad Ford: Nate Robinson, without question. He has been awesome. I think he's going to be a fan favorite in New York in no time. David Lee has also played well for the Knicks. A few surprises have been Eddie Basden, an undrafted swingman from Charlotte. He'll sign with the Bulls and I think he'll make their team. He's a terrific defender and he's really improved his offensive game over the last year. Maybe the next Trenton Hassell for the Bulls. Scouts have also been impressed with the Blazers' Travis Outlaw. It looks like their two years of patience has paid off. I'm hearing he could have a breakout year next season.

Chad Ford: Sorry guys. I have to run a few minutes early today. Thanks for all of your questions and we'll be sure to do this again next week.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ugh, the Spurs signed Oberto.

He is a servicable player, mobile, can pass the ball, hit the mid-range J and play defense. However, I don't really see how will he get PT after re-signing of Horry.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Thanks. I think trading Nate Robinson for Kurt Thomas and getting rid of Q will eventually come back to haunt us. Especially if we have to let JJ go or max him out just to keep him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Thanks. I think trading Nate Robinson for Kurt Thomas and getting rid of Q will eventually come back to haunt us. Especially if we have to let JJ go or max him out just to keep him.

We still would have matched JJ, so if we didn't get rid of Q and kept Nate, who exactly would we have up front to help Amare? Especially if Hunter bolts? (And he probably will)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
From what I've heard of Robinson, he would be fairly redundant with Barbosa. I'd rather have Thomas and get a defensive rebound once in a while.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Plus Penny is going to have a break out year as well. :thud:

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
We still would have matched JJ, so if we didn't get rid of Q and kept Nate, who exactly would we have up front to help Amare? Especially if Hunter bolts? (And he probably will)

Melvin Ely
Chis Wilcox
Loren Woods
Lorenzen Wright
Stomile Swift
Jerome James
Tyson Chandler

There are endless trade possibilites and options out there.

As you can see the Lakers this year and Spurs last year were doing everything they can to get a center. The Suns have never had that mindset.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
elindholm said:
From what I've heard of Robinson, he would be fairly redundant with Barbosa. I'd rather have Thomas and get a defensive rebound once in a while.

I'm not sure Barbosa has the instinct to be a great passing PG. Nate Robinson however is a true point and he can pressure and defend quick guards like Parker.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I'm not sure Barbosa has the instinct to be a great passing PG. Nate Robinson however is a true point and he can pressure and defend quick guards like Parker.

When did he shut down Parker Owaite he still hasn't played a game in the NBA.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Melvin Ely
Chis Wilcox
Loren Woods
Lorenzen Wright
Stomile Swift
Jerome James
Tyson Chandler

Kurt Thomas is much better than Ely, Woods, or James, and at least slightly better than Wright. Wilcox is a small PF, Swift is a headcase, and Chandler isn't available.

Give Thomas a chance and you'll be happy with him.

Nate Robinson however is a true point

Well see about that. That's not the impression I get, but I admit that I'm not terribly well informed.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Wilcox is a small PF than Thomas is a dwarf C.

Thomas is at least as large as Wilcox. Remember the Chicago measurements three years ago, when everyone was shocked at how small Wilcox was. He was something like 6' 8", 210.

From looking at them I would also guess that Thomas is stronger.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And I'm wondering why IF Wilcox is only SLIGHTLY bigger, why he is better than Kurt Thomas.

Kurt Thomas is twice the player Wilcox is. The only thing Wilcox has going for him is youth.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Kurt Thomas is so overrated. Last year was the only year he averaged over 10 rebounds on a losing team with no big men He's a career 7.6 in 11 seasons.

We'll see how he does against the PFs and centers of the West. Garnett, Duncan, Yao, Camby, Martin, Gasol, Kirelenko, Boozer

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most importantly Kurt Thomas has a reliable 10-19 foot jumper. He's an experienced and tough defender, and he solid on the boards.

Eric, I think you missed the point about that Chris Wilcox and Kurt Thomas comparison. He said if Chris Wilcox is an undersized power forward and Kurt Thomas is a dwarf center .

Is Chris Wilcox really available anyhow?

The fact that Loren Woods is on that list should tell us all something.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Jake Voskul has a reliable 10-19 jumper too. So what. Most of the European centers do to.

Chris Wilcox is much more athletic, younger and can score when he's given a chance to play. He's also upset at the Clippers with regards to his playing situation and they already have Elton Brand. He could be had for the right deal.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Wilcox charged with transporting a handgun

COLUMBIA, Md. -- Los Angeles Clippers forward Chris Wilcox was arrested Monday and charged with carrying a gun in his car during a traffic stop.

You must be registered for see images attach
[size=-2]Wilcox[/size]

Wilcox could not provide proof the gun belonged to him or that he had a permit, police said. He was charged with transporting a handgun in a vehicle and was released on his own recognizance, police added. A passenger was not charged.

The 22-year-old player was pulled over early Monday after an officer saw his car weaving. A canine team in the area assisted. When asked if there was anything in the car that would cause the dog to react, Wilcox said there was a gun, police said.

The officer found a .357-caliber revolver and a spent casing. Live ammunition and two spent shell casings also were in the car, police added.

Wilcox helped Maryland reach the Final Four in each of his two seasons, including an NCAA championship during his sophomore year. The Clippers drafted him in the first round in 2002. He signed a three-year, $6.2 million contract, with a fourth-year team option.

This season, he averaged 7.9 points and 4.2 rebounds in 18.6 minutes.

The Clippers said they were aware of the situation and had been in contact with Wilcox.

"His representatives are keeping us informed as to any developments," Clippers vice president of communications Joe Safety said in a statement. "Beyond that, there is nothing further we can add from our standpoint at this time."

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whoever is saying Robinson is a true PG, has obviously never watched him play and is only looking at him as a small guy - so he must be a true PG. He is a SG and not a great passer by any stretch.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Thomas is at least as large as Wilcox. Remember the Chicago measurements three years ago, when everyone was shocked at how small Wilcox was. He was something like 6' 8", 210.

From looking at them I would also guess that Thomas is stronger.

Maybe Wilcox has grown two inches since he is listed at 6'10, 235 lbs on nba.com.

He has wide shoulders too and I didn't really have the feeling that he is weaker than Thomas but it doesn't matter.
My point was that Thomas isn't a big PF by NBA standards even if he can play C.
Moreover at the start of the past season Wilcox did a fine job as a starting C while Kaman was injured.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
Whoever is saying Robinson is a true PG, has obviously never watched him play and is only looking at him as a small guy - so he must be a true PG.

I agree.

Robinson is very athletic, a fantastic one-on-one player but he is not a true PG. He was a streaky shooter too.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JPlay said:
No he isn't.

hcsilla said:
I believe Wilcox at least as big as Thomas--KT was also an undersized PF when he came out.

Wilcox might fall into the 'headcase' category, though. And now that the Clips have signed Mobley, I don't see a trade where Wilcox would go to the Suns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan