Arians to Cardinals fans: ‘It ain’t worth’ selling your tickets

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Or I can be a smart consumer and find a way to get my tickets essentially for free (or even profit), and still get the experience of going to most of the games.

This has nothing to do with quality of "fandom" or not being able to afford other things in my life; it's all economics.

It has a little bit to do with it.

In its purest form, a fan, short for "fanatic", means you shouldn't let reason or logic influence your unwavering support for a cause. Economics is the injection of some level of logic into the decision-making.

Therefore, you can not be entirely fanatical (i.e. what my wife calls insane devotion) if you are using logic. ;)

(I'm just kidding around. I've come around to seeing both sides of the debate. As much as I hate it, the stands are gonna look a lot like Christmas this year. Or chile. Yum.)

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The opposing teams fans will ALWAYS find a way to get tickets to games in Arizona. It's that simple. There is a lot to do in this city opposed to a place like Green Bay or Buffalo where it is the only game in town. Look at San Diego or Miami. Even if they are good, they rarely sell (or ever) sell out because of the entertainment around. This is just my take on why there will always be opposing fans at Cardinals games....

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It has a little bit to do with it.

In its purest form, a fan, short for "fanatic", means you shouldn't let reason or logic influence your unwavering support for a cause. Economics is the injection of some level of logic into the decision-making.

Therefore, you can not be entirely fanatical (i.e. what my wife calls insane devotion) if you are using logic. ;)

(I'm just kidding around. I've come around to seeing both sides of the debate. As much as I hate it, the stands are gonna look a lot like Christmas this year. Or chile. Yum.)

Let me ask you a question:

I haven't been to a Cards's regular season game since 2013 @ Tampa Bay (I live in Southern California, FYI).

Numerous fans here claim to have never missed a home game since 1988.

Who's a bigger fan?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

I haven't been to a Cards's regular season game since 2013 @ Tampa Bay (I live in Southern California, FYI).

Who's a bigger fan?

Or I can be a smart consumer and find a way to get my tickets essentially for free (or even profit), and still get the experience of going to most of the games.

I'm confused.

TJ

Reaction score
The opposing teams fans will ALWAYS find a way to get tickets to games in Arizona. It's that simple. There is a lot to do in this city opposed to a place like Green Bay or Buffalo where it is the only game in town. Look at San Diego or Miami. Even if they are good, they rarely sell (or ever) sell out because of the entertainment around. This is just my take on why there will always be opposing fans at Cardinals games....

Bingo.

It's all about location.

Miami, So Cal, and Phoenix are popular places for people to move from other locations around the US. People take their allegiances from their home teams with them, and if their team happens to be playing nearby, they're going to attend the game.

I'd be a hypocrite if I bagged on others who attend games as a visiting fan. I'm a Cards, Suns, D-Backs, and UofA fan living in SoCal. On top of that, I hate the Lakers and Dodgers. I'm surprised I havent been executed, yet.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This has nothing to do with quality of "fandom" or not being able to afford other things in my life; it's all economics.

If you're comfortable with gouging people for tickets they'd love to get at face value, that pretty much puts you in the same league as ticket brokers, IMO. I understand someone in Hollywood's position, having some financial crap unloaded on him and he know has a way to get out from under. But if you're going into the season with the intent to sell 3 prime tickets, that's a different story and to be honest, sucks for people who actually want to go to the games and cheer for the team but can't afford to because of price gouging. I know it's an economic reality, but it's doesn't make it any better then brokers.

TJ

Reaction score
I'm confused.

I'm speaking in hypotheticals, but I have an economic mindset to plug into this conversation.

If I'm a season ticket holder, and I know the demand is what it is, I'm probably doing what I'm proposing I would do.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Who's a bigger fan?

I'd say the people who haven't missed a game since 1988 have had to make a sacrifice or turn down a big payday a time or two to keep that streak alive. I'd put them ahead on just about any scale, and I am including myself in that convesation.

I had season tickets from the time I moved here until 2011 when my gameday buddy moved away. For that and some financial reasons, I gave them up. And I do as 1959 suggests and purchase single-game tickets when I can.

I certainly think the 1988 diehards are better fans than me because I feel like I quit to a certain degree. They didn't. It doesn't mean I stopped being a fan. It just means I feel like I don't support the team like I used to.

When I did have season tickets, I was proud I never sold a ticket to an opposing fan. If I had tickets I couldn't use, I came to this board and sold them for face value or gave them away to people I knew would be wearing red on game day. I am proud of that. I do consider that a measure of my fanhood. Others may not.

The fact that you are an out-of-stater makes the comparison tougher because you too are overcoming hurdles and geography to come out here. I salute that too. I recognize that as a major commitment and wonder if I moved away if I'd ever come back just for a game. So while I hold the 1988 crowd in the highest regard, I hold your current commitment above my own. I can't say I approve of the gouging though.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
If you're comfortable with gouging people for tickets they'd love to get at face value, that pretty much puts you in the same league as ticket brokers, IMO. I understand someone in Hollywood's position, having some financial crap unloaded on him and he know has a way to get out from under. But if you're going into the season with the intent to sell 3 prime tickets, that's a different story and to be honest, sucks for people who actually want to go to the games and cheer for the team but can't afford to because of price gouging. I know it's an economic reality, but it's doesn't make it any better then brokers.

Bottom line: who are we to judge what people do to earn a buck as long as they do it legally and it doesn't cause significant harm to others? I don't think sitting next to Vikings fans at a Cards game is going to cause mental anguish.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Bottom line: who are we to judge what people do to earn a buck as long as they do it legally and it doesn't cause significant harm to others? I don't think sitting next to Vikings fans at a Cards game is going to cause mental anguish.

Just olfactory anguish because they stink!

:D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you dont understand...what myself and many other people are saying is if you are at a point where you cannot afford your season tickets financially then dont buy them...buy single seat games. You people are selling your tickets to opposing fans and its noticeable to the point of the head coach calling you out. Buy single games when you CAN afford them and take care of your tuition/car bills/etc

Jesus. Can you be more judgmental?

At this point though, I consider this to be first world problems. No one would care about this if our team was terrible.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok i hear people say this and I was there, this isn't true

Just to be clear: green machine aka Adam Green said this. I only posted it (in the article) and then was quoted by nidan. I did not post this as myself.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have said before that Arians needs to take that up with the ownership - a lot of the issue is brokers selling huge chunks of tickets. There were blocks by my old seats that were like that. Cardinals fans always bought them other than for big games.

That being said, if I don't find 2 more tickets at a reasonable markup for the Packers game, I may just sell mine too. My parents are going to be here and my mom REALLY wants to go to the game but we could have a hell of a BBQ with the $700 I could get for my seats and the $700 she would have to spend at what prices are right now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just think it sucks. That's all. Speaking from experience at SDS, it wasn't nearly as much fun being surrounded by opposing fans as it is otherwise. And the scalping business just rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

It has EVERYTHING to do with quality of fandom

This was sent from my cell pjone so please excise any typeos or other errors.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
If I had tickets I couldn't use, I came to this board and sold them for face value or gave them away to people I knew would be wearing red on game day.

I do that all the time. I've had season tix since 1997 and have never sold them to an opposing fan. Most of the time I offer them to you guys, at face value (sometimes less). Now if you guys give them to other people, that's out of my control.

Even my extra set of SuperBowls tickets I sold to one of you guys (can't remember who!)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Can't blame people for selling their tix. This is America, make more money.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do that all the time. I've had season tix since 1997 and have never sold them to an opposing fan. Most of the time I offer them to you guys, at face value (sometimes less). Now if you guys give them to other people, that's out of my control.

Even my extra set of SuperBowls tickets I sold to one of you guys (can't remember who!)

:yeahthat:

Since the Cards moved here, I've missed two games - both preseason - due to deaths in the family. My tickets went to Skkorpion one game and AzCards21 the other game. As it should be.

As a teenager in high school, I'd just hang around SDS and buy an extra ticket if I didn't have one. Sometimes, I'd luck out and someone would just give me an extra. Have had season tickets all but one year since 1993. Our seats are cheap, but they get us in the building. No amount is going to replace the game day experience for us. Great memories of being at so many big games.

We bought our Super Bowl tickets from jstadvl. His wife got an extra pair from her workplace and sold them to us for face value.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have said before that Arians needs to take that up with the ownership - a lot of the issue is brokers selling huge chunks of tickets. There were blocks by my old seats that were like that. Cardinals fans always bought them other than for big games.

That being said, if I don't find 2 more tickets at a reasonable markup for the Packers game, I may just sell mine too. My parents are going to be here and my mom REALLY wants to go to the game but we could have a hell of a BBQ with the $700 I could get for my seats and the $700 she would have to spend at what prices are right now.
What are u willing to pay for a lower level pair? PM me
I'm confused.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's a ticket broker story for you. Back in the '80s I had a boss whose brother ran one of the largest brokers in LA, a family business since the 1930's. When the Angels made the postseason in 1986, my boss announces one day that his brother is stopping by the office, because he'll be in the area picking up "his" Angels postseason tickets. So he shows up and brings "his" tickets in to show off to us. He had HUNDREDS of them, packaged in bank bags. Stacks and stacks and stacks of 4-accross sheets. Somebody internally at the Angels sold them to him. No idea what he paid, or if this was done under the table, or in the light of day. I suspect the latter - those tickets were super-valuable, and the team can normally only make face value for them - if they can sell them at a higher price, why wouldn't they (other than it might be illegal or against MLB rules or something - no idea). Maybe he paid face value to make it a "legit" transaction? NFW. They'd have sold them to the public first I gotta believe, if all else were equal.

Our broker problem isn't the same, as there's no way that brokers are paying above face value - I'd bet they're paying substantially below in fact. I don't think there's nearly enough demand to sell out season tickets without these guys absorbing a significant number. If there were, or eventually is, the team will sell less (if any) to these guys. Or, they'll jack up the price to them, if the market will bear it.

I don't have a problem with people selling their seats, though I'd certainly prefer that they not sell them, and show up in RED, loud and proud each week, supporting our Cardinals. That's what we do, and this year will be no different - Green Bay, Seattle, and hopefully a couple of home playoff games.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's a ticket broker story for you. Back in the '80s I had a boss whose brother ran one of the largest brokers in LA, a family business since the 1930's. When the Angels made the postseason in 1986, my boss announces one day that his brother is stopping by the office, because he'll be in the area picking up "his" Angels postseason tickets. So he shows up and brings "his" tickets in to show off to us. He had HUNDREDS of them, packaged in bank bags. Stacks and stacks and stacks of 4-accross sheets. Somebody internally at the Angels sold them to him. No idea what he paid, or if this was done under the table, or in the light of day. I suspect the latter - those tickets were super-valuable, and the team can normally only make face value for them - if they can sell them at a higher price, why wouldn't they (other than it might be illegal or against MLB rules or something - no idea). Maybe he paid face value to make it a "legit" transaction? NFW. They'd have sold them to the public first I gotta believe, if all else were equal.

Our broker problem isn't the same, as there's no way that brokers are paying above face value - I'd bet they're paying substantially below in fact. I don't think there's nearly enough demand to sell out season tickets without these guys absorbing a significant number. If there were, or eventually is, the team will sell less (if any) to these guys. Or, they'll jack up the price to them, if the market will bear it.

I don't have a problem with people selling their seats, though I'd certainly prefer that they not sell them, and show up in RED, loud and proud each week, supporting our Cardinals. That's what we do, and this year will be no different - Green Bay, Seattle, and hopefully a couple of home playoff games.
I had a broker offer me $600 for a pair in the lower level for GB today

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously that's not the common experience.

Basically, there are a ton of midwestern transplants who came here and brought their fandom with them. The Cards sucked when their kids were growing up, and the Packers had Favre and the Vikes had Randy Moss.

Arizona teams are going to struggle to maintain a home-field advantage against Chicago, Minnesota, and Wisconsin fans for decades. My (Lutheran) church increases in attendance like 30% once the weather starts to cool off, and everyone calls the drinking fountain a "bubbler."

Well, there are tons of people that moved here from there and if you go out to Apache Junction right now you will see a good number of Wisconsin plates. Obviously, that will be most of the enemy fans, even more than those that fly here for the weekend. However, my story accounts for about 40 of the Packers fans who will be there on the 27th. They got tickets the day they went on sale so they could sit together as a block.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I come over for a couple of games a year. There are some season ticket holders I know from ASFN and if they don't have them for sale, I use Stubhub. This year, I bought them for Rams and Bengals from Stubhub in July when they first were available because I knew I'd be in Phoenix then. I usually pay around $140 for seats in like section 104 or thereabouts. I have no idea if they are from brokers or season ticket holders. I suspect they're from brokers because the parking passes aren't included. I just buy them because I want them and they're available. I couldn't even tell you what the face value of the tix are because I don't think I've ever bothered to look. I just look for the best price where I want them and pull the trigger.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Under the table. It's illegal to scalp in Anaheim but that stuff was done all the time for Angels, concerts, etc. Anaheim had it's very own mafioso-style operation for that in the 70's and 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if it still does. (The city owns the stadium and convention center. The Angels played the Red Sox in that play off series. Red Sox fans would sometimes out-number Angels fans at games. They would have payed through the nose for those seats. --- As an Angels fan I still feel nauseous thinking about how we lost that series.)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05