New ASU Athletic Director: Graham Rossini

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why ASU can't have nice things. I recommend listening to the entire audio at the link below.

By Arizona Sports Bickley & Marotta Show Audio Chris Karpman, Sun Devils insider:

And why would Crow opt for an in-house option rather than hiring an external candidate who has proven himself elsewhere?

“The most likely scenario that people have said to me is Michael Crow wants control,” Karpman said. “He wants things to be done his way, that someone who’s external and has already been successful at another as an athletic director would have a lot more deeply intrenched perspective about what needs to happen to course-correct at ASU and that would be something that Crow would maybe be resistant to and that makes a lot of sense.”

“(The lack of vetting ahead of the expected Rossini hiring) was very baffling actually to a lot of (people in the industry), particularly given the atmospherics of ASU really struggling in the last few years, the NCAA investigation, a lot of sentiment out there that there needs to be a course correction of kind of the leadership element and Michael Crow almost being tone deaf to that is the perception in the industry,” he added.

“The only reason Graham Rossini is expected to get this job is because he works at ASU. If you took the identical resume any other place in the country, college athletics, he wouldn’t be a serious candidate,”

Oof

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“The only reason Graham Rossini is expected to get this job is because he works at ASU. If you took the identical resume any other place in the country, college athletics, he wouldn’t be a serious candidate,”

Oof

I guess the ASU alumni wore down over time or lost interest. It's disappointing Michael Crow has so much power.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the ASU alumni wore down over time or lost interest. It's disappointing Michael Crow has so much power.
I think you are right about the alumni. I’m betting they got to a point where they realized Crow was going to stay in house and so they accepted that reality and they basically gave up trying to influence the process.

I am going to defend Crow for a moment before I turn around and critique. He is the university president therefore he should have the power he has. I think the argument should be against those university presidents who don’t have a backbone when it comes to their athletic departments. ASU is a much different school now than it was and I believe that is positive and virtually all of that is due to Crow.

Having said that, I think Crow doesn’t understand the role athletics plays in the culture, pride and heart of a university like ASU. Or put different, he understands it on some level but doesn’t care enough to support it. He seems to be trying to fight a battle that is already lost and that battle is the power of athletics. It can be reported he is changing his tune on NIL but I personally don’t buy it because I believe he hates NIL. Openly hates it.

Athletes will soon be paid by schools and enter into contracts. How will Crow work that into the university? And how far behind that process will they be once it is enacted? ASU clearly wasn’t ready for NIL and are still well behind most other programs of their type

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remain very disappointed they made no effort to go outside of the program and university. So many things wrong with that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are right about the alumni. I’m betting they got to a point where they realized Crow was going to stay in house and so they accepted that reality and they basically gave up trying to influence the process.

I am going to defend Crow for a moment before I turn around and critique. He is the university president therefore he should have the power he has. I think the argument should be against those university presidents who don’t have a backbone when it comes to their athletic departments. ASU is a much different school now than it was and I believe that is positive and virtually all of that is due to Crow.

Having said that, I think Crow doesn’t understand the role athletics plays in the culture, pride and heart of a university like ASU. Or put different, he understands it on some level but doesn’t care enough to support it. He seems to be trying to fight a battle that is already lost and that battle is the power of athletics. It can be reported he is changing his tune on NIL but I personally don’t buy it because I believe he hates NIL. Openly hates it.

Athletes will soon be paid by schools and enter into contracts. How will Crow work that into the university? And how far behind that process will they be once it is enacted? ASU clearly wasn’t ready for NIL and are still well behind most other programs of their type

I'm now in show-me mode when it comes Michael Crow. He didn't even open up hiring an athletic director to the outside.

Three major sports programs have become afterthoughts under his control.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There isn’t a ton going on in ASU athletics at the moment but Rossini was in attendance at last night’s baseball game. Nice to see. The word is that Rossini is really big on baseball and softball and the expectation is those two programs will get renewed attention. I was also told, from what I believe is a trusted source, that Rossini is very in tune with the importance NIL and we should see a shift in how NIL is utilized

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This is very uninspiring. Looks like I get to keep my checkbook closed. I'm not opening it up for a hire like this.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is very uninspiring. Looks like I get to keep my checkbook closed. I'm not opening it up for a hire like this.
I won’t ever tell people how to spend their money and I understand your sentiment, however, by withholding money you hurt his ability to try and improve athletics since we all know money moves the needle and ASU desperately needs to start moving the needle.

It’s the interesting conundrum.