Baseball draft, June 3rd & 4th

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Here is Baseball America's top 30. The Diamondbacks have the 19th and 29th pick in the first round.

Who's making power moves and who's showing signs of draftitis? We'll keep you updated on the top 30 draft prospects as they move in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Remember, this isn't how we think the first 30 picks of the draft will fall. It's our ranking of the best prospects at a given moment based on what we're hearing from various scouts, coaches and front office executives.

1. Delmon Young, of, Camarillo (Calif.) HS
Put on impressive power display in front of Brewers brass at Miller Park on Sunday, two days after leading Camarillo to its 23rd straight win in the first round of California's southern section playoffs.
2. Rickie Weeks, 2B, Southern
Still in deliberation over who to take with the first pick, the Devil Rays brass had an up-close look at Weeks in a workout on Thursday.
3. Ryan Harvey, of, Dunedin (Fla.) HS
Bounced back from last fall's knee injury to become darkhorse candidate for No. 1 pick.
4. Tim Stauffer, rhp, Richmond
Threw eight scoreless innings Thursday in Richmond's 8-0 win against Massachusetts; he touched 92, pitched at 90-91 and gave up just two flyball outs, dominating with his fastball while a blister problem prohibited him from using his curve. He struck out five, walked two, allowed four hits and got 14 groundball outs.
5. Jeff Allison, rhp, Veterans Memorial (Mass.) HS
Final stats border on unfathomable: 51 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 9 BB, 118 SO.
6. Kyle Sleeth, rhp, Wake Forest
Sleeth lost in the ACC tournament as poor conditions led to six unearned runs, but he showed scouts a 94 mph fastball. His slider wasn't as sharp as usual, and he threw 129 pitches.
7. Chris Lubanski, of, Kennedy-Kenrick (Pa.) HS
His amateur career likely came to an end last week with a 1-for-2 performance; now the only question is how high he'll be drafted on June 3.
8. Michael Aubrey, 1b, Tulane
Conference USA player of the year found hits tougher to come by in league tournament, going 4-for-17.
9. John Danks, lhp, Round Rock (Texas) HS
Pitched the nation's No. 1 team into the second round of the Texas 5A playoffs; there will be a lot of disappointed teams when he goes off the board in the top 12 picks.
10. Lastings Milledge, of, Lakewood Ranch (Fla.) HS
Went 1-for-3 as Lakewood won its first state 5A champinship ever, provided music to scouts' ears by saying: "Ever since I stepped into the leadoff role, I've tried to have better pitch selection."
11. Ian Stewart, 3b, La Quinta (Calif.) HS
Potential top 10 pick leads CIF southern section in HR (16), RBIs (57) and slugging (1.224).
12. Ryan Wagner, rhp, Houston
Still on course to break 39-year-old NCAA record by averaging 16.8 strikeouts per nine innings.
13. Andrew Miller, lhp, Buchholz (Fla.) HS
Left final high school game on Tuesday night after 3 2/3, gave up three runs and walked four.
14. Paul Maholm, lhp, Mississippi State
Hasn't dominated of late, but led Mississippi State to first-round SEC tourney victory with 8 1/3 solid innings on Thursday.
15. Nick Markakis, lhp, Young Harris (Ga.) JC
The Reds' window to sign Markakis as a draft-and-follow officially has closed; he turned down $1.5 million and may get more in the 2003 draft.
16. Craig Whitaker, rhp, Lufkin (Texas) HS
After he hit 98 mph, his next start "looked like the Academy Awards" because everyone was there.
17. Brad Sullivan, rhp, Houston
Recovered from rough outing last week with 7 1/3 shutout innings in first round of Conference USA tourney on Wednesday, though he was removed with a blister.
18. Vince Sinisi, 1b, Rice
Enters NCAA regional play in a 3-for-16 slump.
19. Eric Duncan, 3b, Seton Hall (N.J.) Prep
Hitting six balls into the seats in a Thursday workout at Great American Ball Park won't hurt his already soaring first-round stock.
20. Aaron Hill, ss, Louisiana State
Hill made the SEC all-tournament team after going 6-for-14, but his 11-game hitting streak ended when Tigers lost to Alabama in finale.
21. Brad Snyder, of, Ball State
Missed MAC tournament after suffering concussion in outfield collison during regular-season finale.
22. Matt Murton, of, Georgia Tech
Went 4-for-11 with four RBIs as Yellow Jackets won three games on Sunday to claim ACC tournament title.
23. Matt Moses, ss, Mills Godwin (Va.) HS
Closed out game last week to advance Mills Godwin to quarterfinals game Tuesday night; its his bat however that has him as a first-round lock.
24. Ryan Sweeney, of, Xavier (Iowa) HS
Tossed a four-hit, seven inning shutout with 16 strikeouts on Monday, 1-for-2 with a walk at the plate.
25. Carlos Quentin, of, Stanford
Went 2-for-10 over weekend as Cardinal swept Cal Poly in tuneup for regionals.
26. Conor Jackson, 3b, California
Teams that prefer polished college players like his power (.675 SLG) and plate discipline (49 BB, 22 SO, .538 OBP).
27. Brandon Wood, ss, Horizon (Ariz.) HS
Stock is soaring due to power, athletic actions at short and championship-caliber makeup.
28. Brian Anderson, of, Arizona
Multitooled outfielder didn't help himself by going 1-for-11 as Arizona State steamrolled the Wildcats.
29. David Murphy, of, Baylor
Went 3-for-6 to raise his average to .417 and earn Big 12 all-tournament honors, despite Baylors loss in championship game Sunday.
30. Marc Cornell, rhp, Ohio U.
Pulled after 12 pitches in relief on Thursday, topped out at 89 mph.

On The Bubble:
Scott Baker, rhp, Oklahoma State
Daniel Bard, rhp, Christian Academy, Charlotte, N.C.
Tim Battle, of, McIntosh HS, Peachtree City, Ga.
Dallas Buck, rhp, Newberg (Ore.) HS
Dennis Dove, rhp, Georgia Southern
Jared Hughes, rhp, Santa Margarita HS, Laguna Niguel, Calif.
Aaron Jensen, rhp, Springville (Utah) HS
Adam Jones, rhp/ss, Morse HS, San Diego
Scott Maine, lhp, Dwyer HS, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Adam Miller, rhp, McKinney (Texas) HS
Jay Sborz, rhp, Langley (Va.) HS
Manuel Vega, 3b, Carmen B. Huyke HS, Arroyo, P.R.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm pretty ignorant about the draft - time to learn! What is, or how is a player designated, "undrafted free agent? " That's how we got Barajas, for ex. so it's not just for foreign players.
I ask partly because I was wishing there might be some loophole way we could nab a couple ASU players. ;)

I happened to have the ASU game on radio today - every few moments I'd hear, "PLINK! ...and ASU gets its sixth run in the first third of the first inning..." LOL - I thought it was pretty funny the announcers were toasting the hits, then realized that was aluminum bats - sounded just like the clink of beer bottles.

They also were blown away by a defensive play by Dustin Pedroaiza which I JUST saw replayed on TV - MAN! - spec-tac-u-lar!! (covetcovet...drool)

outcent

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm a baseball draft idiot and was wondering what are the possibilities of trading picks? For example our two firsts for a top 10 pick and draft a slugger. Just wondering.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by outcent
I'm a baseball draft idiot and was wondering what are the possibilities of trading picks? For example our two firsts for a top 10 pick and draft a slugger. Just wondering.

Baseball Draft picks can not be traded.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZZenny
I'm pretty ignorant about the draft - time to learn! What is, or how is a player designated, "undrafted free agent? " That's how we got Barajas, for ex. so it's not just for foreign players.
I ask partly because I was wishing there might be some loophole way we could nab a couple ASU players. ;)
Undrafted free agent is anyone who was not initially acquired via the draft. It applies to foreigners, who are not subject to the draft, and to any Americans who were not drafted. It's uncommon for an American player to make the majors through the undrafted free agent route, though, of course, it does happen.

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
MLB radio is going to cover the draft live and for free starting at 1:00 pm EST

We need some power hitting outfielders

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
I've heard that they won't draft by need, but by best available which, I think is a good thing. When a team drafts by need they usually screw up. It's no secret that this team needs outfielders but, the D-Backs like pitching and it seems that pitching is a strength of this draft.

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Conor Jackson was our 19th pick.

Conor JacksonCaliforniaJunior6-3205 Named a 2003 first team Preseason All-American by Baseball America, a second team Preseason All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association and a third team Preseason All-American by Collegiate Baseball ... Two-time first team All-Pac 10 selection ... Belted a team-high 10 homers and knocked in 44 runs in 2003 ... Handed a team-best and the Pac-10's second highest total in walks (49) ... Ranked fifth in the conference in batting (.387) ... Has a big body for a third baseman, similar to a Troy Glaus ... Could end up at first base in the major leagues ... Not a great fielder.

Edit: Here is some more info on this kid

COMMENT: Strong frame, build similar to David Bell. Crouched stance. Can flat out hit and with power. Good bat speed. Short, compact stroke. Contact hitter with power to all fields. Good hands. Bat will carry him at every level. Hard-nosed kid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
This guy was our 29th pick

Carlos QuentinStanfordJunior6-2215 Very sharp hitter with a good eye ... Has the ability to spread the ball throughout the field ... Great athletic ability with strength and excellent speed ... Will wait on the right pitch as he is very patient at the plate...Has played for the USA National Team in two straight years ... Named a 2003 First Team (Baseball America) and Second Team (NCBWA) Preseason All-American ... Sixth in the Pac-10 in batting average (.384) in 2003 ... Ranked fifth in the conference in on-base percentage (.485) ... Has had some elbow problems that might need to be addressed.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diamondbacks are again showing there preference for college players, which I think is the best way to go.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Zenny, power bat help is hopefully on the way. Both D-Backs first round picks are college players. Here's what TeamOne baseball said about Carlos Quentin:
Quentin makes two power college bats added to the D-Backs system in the first round.
The MLB says this about Conor Jackson
Teams that prefer polished college players like his power (.675 SLG) and plate discipline (49 BB, 22 SO, .538 OBP).

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baseball America had us picking Conor at 19 - they got that right!

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
Looks like we took Jerry and Company read Moneyball. Took polished college players with high OPS. I like this deal a lot. Team One Baseball also had us taking Connor with our first pick, they had the A's taking Carlos and us taking a HS pitcher.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matrix31
Looks like we took Jerry and Company read Moneyball. Took polished college players with high OPS. I like this deal a lot. Team One Baseball also had us taking Connor with our first pick, they had the A's taking Carlos and us taking a HS pitcher.

The Diamondbacks have been tending towards college players (Santos not withstanding) for many of their picks. HS players can have a great upside, or there is Corey Myers - very risky picks.

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Our second round pick was another 3rd baseman with power from Wake Forest.
Jamie D'Antona

D'Antona, a native of Trumbull, Conn., led the ACC and ranked among the nation's leaders with 21 home runs and 82 runs batted in. He became the school's all-time leader in those categories during the season. D'Antona batted ..360 and had the best fielding percentage among everyday third basemen in the conference (.926).

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know if any of these guys will pan out, but I like what their doing. Proven hitters from the college ranks. Give me production over potential anyday.

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
I wouldnt be suprised if they try to convert one of these thirdbasemen into an OFer. D'Antona would be my guess with his arm and questions about his D at 3rd.

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Matt Chico

In the 3rd round is kind of a strange pick.

Bio Notes: After being selected in the 2nd Round of the 2001 Draft, Chico turned down Boston's offer and decided to instead battle for a spot in the stacked USC pitching rotation while also getting his share of hacks at the plate. On the mound, he has a fluid arm stroke with a high 80's fastball and a snap hook breaking pitch. Now at Palomar JC, Chico is eligible for the draft in 2003.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Kinsey

4th round pick

RHP from Cal St Sacramento.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5th Round Pick

Jeff Cook - OF, Southern Miss

5'10 lefty

Bio Notes: Cook is a hard-nosed player who has gap power at the plate.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6th round pick

First HS pick by the Dbacks

Angel Mercado
Puerto Rico

C/1B

Bio Notes: Mercado swings a strong bat. May project best at first base in college ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05