Bay Area Assessment of what could happen

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Cardinals may be just what Raiders need to turn it around
By Bill Soliday, Staff writer
Article Last Updated:10/19/2006 11:03:26 AM PDT

Frustration, thy name is the Oakland Raiders.

But hold the phone — Sunday they get a chance to play a team that could be just as punch drunk as they are. While the Raiders have suffered in relative silence, it was there for all to see Monday night for the Arizona Cardinals.
That's when coach Denny Green lost it during his post-game press conference. Responding to a question, he began with a measured evaluation of the unbeaten Chicago Bears and their relative strength. But the more he thought about it, the more Green's temper got the best of him.
In the end, he was shouting and punching at the microphone, making statements that probably made sense only to him. It was either a back window peek into Green's volatile personality or a con job aimed at his players when he stormed off the podium and back to his office reciting some of Chaucer's better words.

So which was it, Denny?
"Oh, I felt great," Green said during a conference call with Bay Area writers four days in advance of the showdown between two teams that have struggled with what meager prosperity they have enjoyed.
"My point was just — and it wasn't that the reporter was out of line, believe me, he wasn't — with how great the Bears were and how could it be, what did we know or what did we do that would enable this little team down in the desert to be able to play like we did against the mighty Bears." In other words, it reminded Green of what he had been telling his team the entire week — that the Bears could be taken, that his words had proved prophetic and then the bottom fell out.
"So I just took a little offense at it," Green continued. "My offense (to it) was we played these guys in the preseason and we've got an opinion and they are who we thought they were.
"We were 1-4 and we wanted it bad. We had an excellent plan on offense and defense. We scored 14 points the first two times we had the ball. We were leading 23-3. There were a lot of things working. They (the Bears) were really struggling. We just let it evaporate. You see it every now and then, but you never believe you'd be a part of it."

Green didn't try to downplay what the Bears were. "They're 6-0 and they should be 6-0," Green said. "But we also had an opportunity to beat them and we gave it away in every way. We had five things go wrong and if only four of those five things went wrong, we still would have won that ballgame. "We had all five go wrong. I just let off some steam."

Green was apparently still miffed when he dumped offensive coordinator Keith Rowen the day after the game, replacing him with quarterbacks coach Mike Kruczek. Rowen, a former offensive line coach with the Raiders under Joe Bugel and Jon Gruden (1997-98), remains on staff as an "offensive assistant."
It is under those circumstances, the Cardinals come to Oakland as a bit of an unknown. They arrive with either an excess of potentially beneficial angst or a debilitating aura of defeatism.
The Raiders have no way of knowing much beyond this: The Cardinals are, like them, struggling, don't play well on the road, have just seen their coach go postal on national television and may be wondering what fate has in store for them next.

One Raider smells blood in the water. "That shows frustration," safety Stuart Schweigert said of Green's meltdown. "Everything is going to trickle down (to coaches and players). With him showing that, it's going to be another great opportunity for us to jump on a team that's a little bit hurt right now.
"It seems like we always have a lot of off-the-field issues going on around here. It's going to be interesting to see how another team can handle a situation like that. "It's a great opportunity for us to go in and jump on them early and finally finish a game. They're having trouble finishing games. So are we. So we want to kind of get over that hump this weekend and play a full 60 minutes."

Asked about Green's tantrum and how likely he thinks the Cardinals might bounce back, Raiders coach Art Shell spoke for all those East Bay residents who have wanted to punch something, anything. "I've got my own problems," he said with a gross lack of sympathy.
And would Shell ever take a swing at an innocent, unfortunate podium? "No, no," he said. "You can want to, but I wouldn't do that. I'd walk out and you would probably just hear some noise in the back room."

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the more he thought about it, the more Green's temper got the best of him.
In the end, he was shouting and punching at the microphone, making statements that probably made sense only to him

I don't get this at all. From the moment that he said it, I knew exactly what he was talking about. I thought that maybe you had to be a Cards fan to understand, but there were a lot of people on this board that had no idea what he was talking about too.

I guess that I am :confused: that everyone else was :confused:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One Raider smells blood in the water. "That shows frustration," safety Stuart Schweigert said of Green's meltdown. "Everything is going to trickle down (to coaches and players). With him showing that, it's going to be another great opportunity for us to jump on a team that's a little bit hurt right now.

WHO?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

WHO?

He does have a point, and that could be a likely scenerio. You can view the Cards as ALMOST there, or as a team that is so much in disarray that they will giftwrap a win for you.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He does have a point, and that could be a likely scenerio. You can view the Cards as ALMOST there, or as a team that is so much in disarray that they will giftwrap a win for you.

I think we're almost there, but with a caveat. If we somehow lose on Sunday, all hell is going to break loose. Green won't last the season he'll either be fired or walkout when the bidwill's put restrictions or demand changes.

Players will revolt, injuries will linger etc. If we lose to the worst team in football for the 3rd consecutve season under Dennis Green, it's going to be a madhouse.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
thanks for the article JC...

Any team (us included) that needs to have the opposing team's frustration factor to be high in order to win a game has a boat load of problems.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If we lose to the worst team in football for the 3rd consecutve season under Dennis Green, it's going to be a madhouse.
We won't. There will be a blood letting and it won't be ours.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the cardinals need to learn how to close out games. they been ahead in 3 of them and seem to lose it in the end. time to get mean and nasty in the second half

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think we're almost there, but with a caveat. If we somehow lose on Sunday, all hell is going to break loose. Green won't last the season he'll either be fired or walkout when the bidwill's put restrictions or demand changes.

Players will revolt, injuries will linger etc. If we lose to the worst team in football for the 3rd consecutve season under Dennis Green, it's going to be a madhouse.

Ah the Cardinals, the proverbial wounded antelope walking around a starving pack of lions.

Everyone looks at us as their home comming patsy, we are that fluff Division III football cupcake.

This creates problems for us as everyone trys to beat the living snot out of us instead of being resigned more or less to a beating.

Let's hope Moss dosen't have some grudge against DG, and dosen't decide to actually play and beat Rolle like a rented mule, which if he wanted to he could in a heartbeat.

I really have no idea how this is going to play out, I'd guess we show up and really let em have it, I mean bad with our foot on the throttle the whole game but if we don't bury them fast and play down to their level it could get seriously ugly.

New OC batter up.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I don't get this at all. From the moment that he said it, I knew exactly what he was talking about. I thought that maybe you had to be a Cards fan to understand, but there were a lot of people on this board that had no idea what he was talking about too.

I guess that I am :confused: that everyone else was :confused:
Same here... I don't know what was not clear?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
We won't. There will be a blood letting and it won't be ours.
With their OL worst than even ours... and that speaks volumes... and with our guys really pissed off from Monday loss, I'd like to see a dozen sacks and Andrew turned into a pulp... Sorry Andrew.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
One Raider smells blood in the water. "That shows frustration," safety Stuart Schweigert said of Green's meltdown. "Everything is going to trickle down (to coaches and players). With him showing that, it's going to be another great opportunity for us to jump on a team that's a little bit hurt right now."

This is the most ridiculous quote I have read. Are the Raiders not frustrated? I guess with a 0-5 record and hardly a whiff if winning, why be frustrated? Who cares that Randy Moss has quit?

"Another great opportunity" for the Raiders this season. They really have so many I can't count.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

WHO?

Apparently you havent watched any Raiders games. This guy is a good player both in coverage and laying the wood.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently you havent watched any Raiders games. This guy is a good player both in coverage and laying the wood.

He can hit you but he's consistently late in coverage. The guys on the Raider boards don't like him at all.

I think they originally drafted Huff to replace him but wound up playing them together.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score

WHO?

How does he expect a coach to be like after a loss like that. I would have done more than what Green did and said. I would have torn that press conf apart.

I think the only thing that trickles down is that the Off and Def will be P/Oed. I would hate to be wearing the silver and black come Sunday.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Does anybody else think the Oakland game is a litmus test for Green?

Maybe not so much if they win (although how he can guide the team after a tough loss does come into play) but if they lose?