Ben R. - Bowl Game tonight

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Great! I will be taping this game. Ben Rothelisberger looked great in his last game. Let see if he can be impressive two games in a row.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow, this guy looks great, great poise, nice touch, looks like he is more than ready for the NFL.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
Roethlisberger looks like a man among boys out there. I hope the Cardinals can score some points, so they can leave him in the game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kid looks like an absolute stud - the TD when he dropped a d-linemen and fired a strike from 20 yards out was impressive - he also seems to have good pocket awareness - this is the first time I've seen the kid - and he looks awesome - plus I don't see the whole "he's slow as molasses" or has a slow release a couple people were talking about.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
I like the way Roethlisberger finishes the play, he always fakes after the handoff. He's a big time team player, he'd fit good with the Quan.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Snake

Originally posted by Snakester
Great! I will be taping this game. Ben Rothelisberger looked great in his last game. Let see if he can be impressive two games in a row.

Happy Holidays Snakester to you and your wife.

Looks like you picked a great game to tape....Big Ben has thrown 4 TD's already and we're still in the 1st half.

The kid does have escapability and is not slow as molasses....couple that with a rocket arm and you have a 6'5"-245 1st round pick.

Those on this forum who called him slow never watched any film.....the kid played shortstop in high school at his size....reminds me that I played a softball game against a team of old Cincy Bengals....their shortstop was 6'6"-300 lb. Anthony Munoz.....athletes are athletes....Big Ben is an athlete.

If Big Ben stays in school it's a mute point.

If San Diego passes on a QB I still would probably pick Eli Manning.

If San Diego picks Eli we'd be committing draft suicide by drafting down or passing on Big Ben....he's that good.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
First time ive seen him, he's very impressive, throws a nice ball, good mobility. I was wondering about the quality of his conference opponents, but the fact that the MAC produced Leftwich and Pennington eases that concern for me.\

Oh crap, he punts too. I'm liking him more and more.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Snake

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Happy Holidays Snakester to you and your wife.

Looks like you picked a great game to tape....Big Ben has thrown 4 TD's already and we're still in the 1st half.

The kid does have escapability and is not slow as molasses....couple that with a rocket arm and you have a 6'5"-245 1st round pick.

Those on this forum who called him slow never watched any film.....the kid played shortstop in high school at his size....reminds me that I played a softball game against a team of old Cincy Bengals....their shortstop was 6'6"-300 lb. Anthony Munoz.....athletes are athletes....Big Ben is an athlete.

If Big Ben stays in school it's a mute point.

If San Diego passes on a QB I still would probably pick Eli Manning.

If San Diego picks Eli we'd be committing draft suicide by drafting down or passing on Big Ben....he's that good.

I agree - if he comes out - I really don't care if we have number 1 or 2 - listening to the broadcast and hearing the game tape this guy watches, for instance - watching his own handoffs in order to perfect his play action fakes makes me believe (or want to believe) that he's no Ryan Leaf - he actually looks like a leader out there.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
He can punt? Puts it on the one yard line, has 7 inside the 20, and 36 yd. average for the season.

And he's the team bowling champion...that's it, I want Ben.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Red Dawn
First time ive seen him, he's very impressive, throws a nice ball, good mobility. I was wondering about the quality of his conference opponents, but the fact that the MAC produced Leftwich and Pennington eases that concern for me.\

Oh crap, he punts too. I'm liking him more and more.

For a QB I don't think the competition level is very important to judge him. It's different than a HB or WR who can simply outrun lesser athletes but can't do much on an even talent level whereas an accurate QB is an accurate QB. I wish I had ESPN2 so I could see Ben R. since I haven't been able to see him I've been wondering if he's really as good as I've heard or is he a fake. Sounds like everyone is impressed. I think the things everyone's been scared of is the similarity to the Manning/Leaf draft as far as 1 the obvious name connection and 2. his similar build with Leaf.

Give me the low down on him,

When he drops back to pass does he hold the ball up (should be about the head/shoulder level) or does he keep his hand down neer his waist/hips. If a QB holds the ball low (the main knock on Mirer coming out of college) it takes longer to get rid of the ball. You have to first bring the ball up, then release. If you're hurried then you get out of your normal throwing motion. Marino got away with it only because he had an insanely quick release...

Which brings me to throwing motion/release. How quick does the ball leave his hand? Watch Randall Cunningham for a perfect example of a bad windup. He brought the ball down and around and it took FOREVER to get rid of the ball. That makes it a lot easier for a DE rushing around the end to smack the ball. To me a quick release is more important than foot speed for a QB. Marino was slower than molasses (about 100 total career rushing yards) and he was one of the most difficult QBs to sack because nobody could get to him before he threw. You don't have to dodge a defender if you don't have the ball when he gets there. Plus I'd rather have a slow QB who throws with his feet set than a quick one who throws on the run a lot.

From what I've read already it sounds like he is accurate and steps up with confidence when he throws. Something else to look for, does he know when to underthrow his recievers? A guy like Moss is going to outrun everyone so you can just chuck it, but the average NFL WR will be running even with the DB so it's better to underthrow so he can come back to it while the guy covering him runs past. Also (this will benefit Quan a lot) has Miami run many crossing patterns. While you're always taught to lead the reciever so they can run after the catch on the crossing patterns when they are going to get creamed the ball should be thrown between the belt and knee level so the WR has to go down to catch it, avoiding a bit hit when he's unprotected. Every week there's a bunch of complaints about Blake leaving our guys out to dry.

It sounds like Ben is for real and I'd be happy with either him or Manning is he enters the draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When he started the game out well, I was a bit apprehensive about his great play because Louisville is only like 87th in defense...but...DAMN! This kid can play! #1 or #2 pick, we're cookin' with crisco!

Now watch...we'll probably take down and take neither of them :(

asugrad96

1 of 3 Cards Fans in NH
Reaction score
Besides the gaudy numbers and his surprising mobility in the pocket - I am particularly impressed by two aspects of his game - velocity and placement.

He seems to already grasp the idea of putting the ball where only the receiver can make a play - low and to the outside of the defender. Additionally, in the two times I have seen him play the majority of drops have come from too much velocity. This will not be nearly as much of a problem in the pros. I hope he comes out. I too would be happy with either him or Manning.

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This was the first time that I had a chance to see Ben R for an entire game. This kid is awesome. I wont make a judgement on who the Cards should take until I get to see some more of Manning but it would be hard not to take Ben R.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
Now watch...we'll probably take down and take neither of them :(

... or we'll end up winning one we aren't supposed to, making us unable to draft either of them.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like all of his successes came in the 1st half. What happened in the 2nd half? Did they start running the ball or something?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
It looks like all of his successes came in the 1st half. What happened in the 2nd half? Did they start running the ball or something?

No! No way! Guys literally started dropping balls left and right. I'd hazard to say there were something like 5-10 dropped balls in the second half for Miami. I mean, it was truly a Gilmore-like performance for the Miami receivers and backs in the 2nd half.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Tivo'd the game last night and haven't seen it yet. But, sounds like he had the same type of game I saw him have a few weeks ago.

The kid is the real deal, and given the choice between Manning and Ben, I'll take Big Ben everyday of the week.

I'm sure manning is good, but the couple times I've seen him play he's looked very pedestrian.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296

Of his first 5 passes in the 2nd half one was complete. 2 were outright drops, in the hands, between the numbers drops. A third was incomplete he threw on a scramble, his WR was grabbed, pulled loose and was wide open but Ben had already released the ball so the grab prevented the WR from getting there(no call either). The 4th was a fade route, under pressure Ben threw the fade short to the sideline so if the WR couldn't catch it, nobody could, the guy almost made a great catch but couldn't, Ben made the perfect throw.

At that point Louisville was blitzing on every play, often full house blitzes, and that's on reason they threw fewer passes in the 2nd half they were getting big plays on runs, draws, and one ridiculously easy screen pass.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05