Bickley Implies Boldin's Hammy is tied to his contract

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
FWIW

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/09/12/20090912spt-bickleyboldin.html

Normally, this wouldn't be an issue. Boldin has a long history of injuries, and somehow his production never wavers. He might play only 12 games in any given season, but by the end of December, his statistics will rank among the best in football. He's worth the money and the medical insurance, for sure.

"Anybody who would play with a broken face, like he did, speaks volumes," [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Cardinals [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]coach [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Ken [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Whisenhunt[/FONT][/FONT] said.

Yet something has changed in this story. Boldin no longer receives unconditional support from the masses, nor does he deserve it. When he faked a hamstring injury to make a statement about his contract during minicamp, it cheapened his toughness. His hamstrings became a tool for his agent and a gauge of his unhappiness. The latter remains a tender subject.

Is Q playing? Is he hurt? Is he unhappy? Is he not practicing on purpose?
These are questions Boldin has brought upon himself, a Pro Bowl receiver who no longer is a team captain. That honor now goes to Fitzgerald. And until the final resolution, the H-word will continue to bring skepticism and torment for a fan base left with one final request of their proud warrior receiver:

Show up on Sunday, and catch the ball. Please.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing in the back of my head during preaseason. No way Q fakes it during the regular season, he has too much pride and too much will to win.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
I used to think AB was above this kind of punk move. How sad that, now, I wonder.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind the problem at the minicamp was made up or exaggerated. This one though, I do think he's hurt. It's "getting paid" time, and there is zero advantage for him to fake it, or exaggerate it, now.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way hes faking. If he misses today its legit.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Faking an injury and sitting out regular season would be beyond stupid. It certainly wouldnt help your money wishes.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bickley is a half-woman douchebag who thinks he's the next Bill Simmons (who is also a half-nutted, unfunny douchebag).

I saw his article in the paper this morning, and thought about using it as toilet paper.

Boldin's hamstring is legitimately tweaked - there is no reason on the planet for him to "fake it" because of his contract. In fact, that would be the exact opposite of what he'd do in order to resolve his contract issues.

I freaking hate "media" generated garbage like this.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm sure Q isn't faking...but it does bring up the question again is he worth $8-10 mil a year for 12-14 games a year. :shrug:

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Bickley is a half-woman douchebag who thinks he's the next Bill Simmons (who is also a half-nutted, unfunny douchebag).

Well I found something I disagree with you on.

Bickley is okay half the time (which from a guy who writes editorials is what you are looking for) and Bill Simmons is one of the few writers that actually makes me laugh out loud (or Lol)

I actually think there is a half truth to this article. Being loud and obnoxious as a tactic didn't get Q what he wanted. Its well documented he is still upset.

This wouldn't be the first time someone pulled this game to get what the wanted (see Ramirez, Manny)

Guess the proof will be in the play. eh?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well I found something I disagree with you on.

Bickley is okay half the time (which from a guy who writes editorials is what you are looking for) and Bill Simmons is one of the few writers that actually makes me laugh out loud (or Lol)

I actually think there is a half truth to this article. Being loud and obnoxious as a tactic didn't get Q what he wanted. Its well documented he is still upset.

This wouldn't be the first time someone pulled this game to get what the wanted (see Ramirez, Manny)

Guess the proof will be in the play. eh?

Truth is an absolute. There is no such thing as a half-truth. You are telling the truth or you are lying... that simple... ;)

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure Q isn't faking...but it does bring up the question again is he worth $8-10 mil a year for 12-14 games a year. :shrug:

Well stated...

Q is hurt way too much and seems to always be seeking drama. If he were on this message board, he'd probably quit it just to create drama, then come back relishing in the drama... (no, I'm not pointing to any poster in particular) :D

southern card

Reaction score
money is tied to production at this point in his career so if he can he will play. there is no reason to not play if he can. other teams notice this also.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Any time you fake an injury for ANY reason it will make people suspicious when you really do get hurt.

Try reading The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Well,now that Eric Green is gone, who else is there to fake injuries?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read it 3 times and I'm still confused. To my understanding Bickley never once says a teammate told him they think Boldin is faking it. When he said "the masses" he means us, fans, we know we overreact. There's nothing in there that says Whiz or Graves think he's faking it.

As AJ said if he was faking it now that would make no sense, he can't get the payday he wants by faking it, not here not anywhere else. Nobody is going to make the trade offer it will take to get him, and give him a new bigger contract, if he's faking he's hurt.

Anything is possible in sports these days but I just don't buy this one, it makes no financial sense and it's completely against Anquan's character.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've read it 3 times and I'm still confused. To my understanding Bickley never once says a teammate told him they think Boldin is faking it. When he said "the masses" he means us, fans, we know we overreact. There's nothing in there that says Whiz or Graves think he's faking it.

As AJ said if he was faking it now that would make no sense, he can't get the payday he wants by faking it, not here not anywhere else. Nobody is going to make the trade offer it will take to get him, and give him a new bigger contract, if he's faking he's hurt.

Anything is possible in sports these days but I just don't buy this one, it makes no financial sense and it's completely against Anquan's character.

I saw his article in the paper this morning, and thought about using it as toilet paper.

Boldin's hamstring is legitimately tweaked - there is no reason on the planet for him to "fake it" because of his contract. In fact, that would be the exact opposite of what he'd do in order to resolve his contract issues.

I freaking hate "media" generated garbage like this.

I agree with both of these statements. Bickley is a giant tool that delights in creating controversy. Also, what does Q gain by faking an injury? If he's going to get paid, either by the Cards or another team, he needs to be on the field and show what he's worth.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
There is no way Q is faking. None.

I believe he did it during mini camp as a protest but he is to smart and has too much pride to carry something like that into the regular season.

Bickley is an idiot.

NHEIB84

Rookie
Reaction score
What a joke.

This fact and statement exposes Bickley for the chump he is, funny he even put it in his article."Anybody who would play with a broken face, like he did, speaks volumes".

A guy who plays with a broken face is faking a hamstring injury? Not sure if he is talking about this year or last but it's a joke either way.