Bill Simmons

Brett10S

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you read Bill Simmons, but I cant get enough. Anyway, heres a bit he put in his most recent article about the Suns having Taurasi represent them.

FACT OR FICTION: As their NBA Lottery representative, the Suns chose Diana Taurasi for this week's lottery draft.

Sadly, that's a fact. Usually I enjoy when randoms represent the lottery teams -- like Toronto's hysterical choice of Chris Bosh, who looked right at the cameras after they drew the seventh pick, then gave one of those "Man, I don't give a (bleep), I'm just psyched to be on TV!" smiles. Or seeing B.J. Armstrong sitting there with a hostile, "I took John Paxson's job 11 years ago, and don't think I can't do it again" vibe about him.

But those choices always have SOME connection to the team. How does a WNBA player end up as a lottery representative? What would have happened if the Suns landed the first pick? How would that interview have gone? Congratulations, Diana ... even though you have no connection with the Suns, and you're only here because the NBA will stop at nothing to promote the WNBA, even if it means alienating its diehard fans and making a joke of the lottery ... um, congratulations, anyway. I'm sure Suns fans would have LOVED to hear her thoughts on the No. 1 pick.

Reader Jason Willan from Louisville thinks that the league should swing the other way on this: "Wouldn't it be more interesting if every team in the lottery sent a representative that made absolutely no sense, yet still had some obscure tie to the city or franchise? My interest in the Draft Lottery telecast would increase exponentially. Representing the Cleveland Cavaliers ... Jim Brown! Representing the Washington Wizards ... Colin Powell! Representing the Miami Heat ... Phillip Michael Thomas!"

(I loved the Philip Michael Thomas joke ... that killed me. Imagine him sitting between Mike Dunleavy and Pat Williams in one of those white linen suits?)

One other note on the lottery: When they announced Pat Williams was representing the Magic, was anyone else absolutely convinced that the Magic would win? How did I not gamble on this? For God's sake, I gambled on Shaq's combined points and rebounds in Game 1 -- 37.5, and yes, I covered -- and I couldn't have thrown $100 down on the luckiest man alive? I hope he's available for my next Vegas trip -- his presence would almost make up for the Siegfried and Roy sign being gone from the Mirage.

Speaking of Williams ...

sunsfn

Reaction score
If the suns would have happened to win the lottery, Diana Taurasi could have been real excited because she and Okafor would have been from the same school, they both won national titles, and would have been drafted first for the Suns and Mercury.

:thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
If the suns would have happened to win the lottery, Diana Taurasi could have been real excited because she and Okafor would have been from the same school, they both won national titles, and would have been drafted first for the Suns and Mercury.

:thumbup:

Aside from that, the Suns are affliated with the Mercury!! Is this writer an IDIOT! ;)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having a representative at the lottery is a farce anyway. It's all just one big photo op, so why not send someone who looks good. :thumbup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05