Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackfish

Release Date: July 19, 2013 (limited)
Studio: Magnolia Pictures
Director: Gabriela Cowperthwaite
Screenwriter: N/A
Genre: Documentary
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for mature thematic elements including disturbing and violent images)

Starring: N/A

Plot Summary: Many of us have experienced the excitement and awe of watching 8,000 pound orcas, or “killer whales,” soar out of the water and fly through the air at sea parks, as if in perfect harmony with their trainers. Yet, in our contemporary lore this mighty black and white mammal is like a two-faced Janus—beloved as a majestic, friendly giant yet infamous for its capacity to kill viciously. Blackfish unravels the complexities of this dichotomy, employing the story of notorious performing whale Tilikum, who—unlike any orca in the wild—has taken the lives of several people while in captivity. So what exactly went wrong?

Shocking, never before seen footage and riveting interviews with trainers and experts manifest the orca’s extraordinary nature, the species’ cruel treatment in captivity over the last four decades and the growing disillusionment of workers who were misled and endangered by the highly profitable sea-park industry. This emotionally wrenching, tautly structured story challenges us to consider our relationship to nature and reveals how little we humans have learned from these highly intelligent and enormously sentient fellow mammals.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I virtually never go to movies, but I will be seeing this one. I encourage everyone else to go see it, too.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
An 8 year old Mulli got to put a fish in Shamu's mouth. I don't think can handle this emotionally, even at age 42.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I don't think I could handle it, but I know what it's about (obviously).

Have you seen it?

I have. Fantastic documentary making. The end was extremely hard to watch. I'm not sure if I've ever been so upset watching a show.

Good news though:

O'Barry is currently in Taiji, Japan with European and Japanese journalists in anticipation of the annual dolphin slaughter that usually takes place the first week of September.
"Today is September 1st, the first day of the dolphin slaughter season in Japan. But when I arrived today by bus from Kansai Airport with media representatives from all over the world, the notorious Cove from the movie was empty. There were no dolphin killers in sight."

Perhaps the film made a difference.

I thought this was an amazing read on the subject. Warning...there are photos of the water after the slaughter.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2010/10/the-girl-who-broke-the-cove-story/

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Blackfish will be airing three times on CNN this weekend.

It was on last weekend and tonight, as well. CNN is taking full advantage of its popularity. :thumbup:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackfish will be airing three times on CNN this weekend.

It was on last weekend and tonight, as well. CNN is taking full advantage of its popularity. :thumbup:
Watched it with my wife last weekend.

Interesting look at behind the scenes at Sea World.

It is sad that these animals have to be confined to such small tanks and made to perform. It's like being in prison to them.

But we as humans enjoy watching a learning about such animals so what is the right answer?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But we as humans enjoy watching a learning about such animals so what is the right answer?
Well, we have the means and the technology to observe and study these animals in their natural habitats, without disturbing them or imprisoning them. And how much can you really learn from watching a forcefully trained dolphin performing silly tricks for food? It's just using animals for our own entertainment, as if all the other ways we've invented to entertain ourselves weren't enough.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Well, we have the means and the technology to observe and study these animals in their natural habitats, without disturbing them or imprisoning them. And how much can you really learn from watching a forcefully trained dolphin performing silly tricks for food? It's just using animals for our own entertainment, as if all the other ways we've invented to entertain ourselves weren't enough.

I was actually expecting a little worse because of all the controversy I heard about this film.

I'm torn on this issue. Regarding the whales, I think it's hard to make an argument for containing these animals in the park. However, I go back and forth on the others, such as the dolphins and the sea lions. Are they really better off in their natural habitat? I know that I'm pretty comfortable living my lifestyle as opposed to trying to survive in the wild.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser