Bob Bradley to lose interim tag

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Bradley to be appointed U.S. soccer coach
Chivas USA's former leader will dispose of the interim tag Wednesday and will take over the national team on a permanent basis.

By Grahame L. Jones, Times Staff Writer
May 15, 2007

Bob Bradley on Wednesday will lose the interim tag and will be appointed coach of the U.S. national soccer team, The Times has learned.

His first challenge is to qualify the U.S. squad for the next World Cup, in South Africa in 2010.

If he does better there than the U.S. team did in the 2006 Cup in Germany, when it was knocked out during the group stage, Bradley could remain in the post until at least 2014.

Bradley, 49, was the leading American among the half a dozen or so candidates seriously considered by U.S. Soccer, and he won out after Germany's Juergen Klinsmann took himself out of the running.

Bradley was returning from Europe on Monday and was unavailable for comment.

Formal announcement of his appointment will be made at a news conference in New York on Wednesday afternoon. Bradley has been interim coach of the team since December and replaces Bruce Arena, who compiled a 71-30-29 record during his eight years in charge.

Under Arena, the team reached the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup and Arena's 71 victories and .658 winning percentage are U.S. records.

The choice of Bradley, Arena's assistant at the University of Virginia, at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta and for two years at D.C. United, is expected to be popular with most of the national team players.

Asked why he thought Bradley should get the job, U.S. team captain Landon Donovan gave a one-word answer. "Results."

The Galaxy forward added, "He hasn't lost yet, right?"

During his five months as interim coach, Bradley has a 3-0-1 record, defeating Denmark, Mexico and Ecuador and tying Guatemala.

His first game in charge as the full-time U.S. coach will be against China at San Jose on June 2, followed by the June 6-24 CONCACAF Gold Cup — a tournament Arena won in 2002 and 2005 — and the June 26-July 15 Copa America in Venezuela.

"He's done a good job with us," Donovan said. "It was hard when he first came in because I'd had eight years with Bruce and things changed a little bit. Bob kind of tightened the strings, made things a little stricter.

"But every time I've been out there I've been motivated to play. So from my standpoint, he deserves it."

Bradley was the coach at Princeton for 12 years and coached the Chicago Fire, New York MetroStars and Chivas USA in Major League Soccer. He won the MLS title and two U.S. Open Cups with the Fire and has an 138-107-57 record in MLS.

Bradley moved to Manhattan Beach with his wife Lindsay and daughters Ryan and Kerry when he became Chivas USA coach in 2006. His son, Michael, is a midfielder for SC Heerenveen in the Dutch first division. In addition to coaching the national team, Bradley will be in charge of the U.S. under-23 national team that will try to qualify for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

The only two-time MLS coach of the year, Bradley has a reputation for working with players on an individual basis to refine their games. Former Fire and now Chivas USA striker Ante Razov is a good example.

The league's third all-time leading scorer was struggling after being released by the Galaxy in 1997, but Bradley turned his career around.

"He pulled me aside and said, 'Listen, you have a good left foot but at this level you have to be more than just a guy who stands around and waits to shoot the ball,' " Razov said. "He was very honest with me and I appreciated that and I trusted him and so I think he was definitely a guy who helped me figure out the path."

Starting Wednesday, Bradley will be trying to do the same for the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

AARRGGHH :bang:

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like the decision. You don't have to have some World famous manager to become a World power. Bradley now has 3 years to get it right. This summer will prove to be very important.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I like the decision. You don't have to have some World famous manager to become a World power. Bradley now has 3 years to get it right. This summer will prove to be very important.

We will see. I just don't think Bradley is the right guy for the job, this reminds me way too much of Steve Sampson. I hope I am wrong, winning this summer isn't the most important thing, finding and developing our younger players as well as getting them the much needed international experience is what is most important. I am hoping guys like Pearce, Whitbread, DeMerit, Spector, Altidore, Feilhaber, Bradley(even though he is the coaches son he deserves it--no nepotsim here) etc all get chances to play and prove themselves so they can contribute in 2010.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We will see. I just don't think Bradley is the right guy for the job, this reminds me way too much of Steve Sampson. I hope I am wrong, winning this summer isn't the most important thing, finding and developing our younger players as well as getting them the much needed international experience is what is most important. I am hoping guys like Pearce, Whitbread, DeMerit, Spector, Altidore, Feilhaber, Bradley(even though he is the coaches son he deserves it--no nepotsim here) etc all get chances to play and prove themselves so they can contribute in 2010.
I agree that winning isn't vital this summer (although it would be nice!). Hopefully Bradley can get some of the new boys ready for international competition.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I disagree...I think that winning is EXTREMELY important. Yes, we need to get our young players good experience, but unless we start to cultivate an atmosphere of winning, and having our players expect to win, then we're going to continue to be a second-tier team. No two ways about it, we had better be winning this summer (not necessarily winning it all, but not losing too many either).

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I disagree...I think that winning is EXTREMELY important. Yes, we need to get our young players good experience, but unless we start to cultivate an atmosphere of winning, and having our players expect to win, then we're going to continue to be a second-tier team. No two ways about it, we had better be winning this summer (not necessarily winning it all, but not losing too many either).
Well I don't think anyone wants the team to lose all their games! If they don't win both tournaments though there is no harm done. A good performance against a big team like Argentina or Brazil will go a long way.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I'm not saying winning isn't important but I think more important is getting valuable experience to our younger players so it pays dividends as qualifying for 2010 approaches. Its the way a lot of teams approach these types of tournaments this summer, I realize we are not Brazil, never will be, but they aren't going to be fielding their "A" team for the Copa America. When they used to send teams to compete in our Gold Cup they'd send their olympic teams not their national squads.

Mexico is sending a team with players who won't play in 2010 (Blanco for one), what sense does that make? Why not get guys who have a future?

Bradley needs to field a competitive team, one that looks to be the right mix of youth and experience and needs to show some tactical smarts that frankly I haven't seen in any of the previous International matches under him. He's been playing it right with getting young guys time but the adjustments just aren't there...and if I see another front line of Rolfe and Donovan I'll be sick, 2 5' 8" 160 lb strikers playing together just don't make sense(not to mention Rolfe is a crappy international).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not saying winning isn't important but I think more important is getting valuable experience to our younger players so it pays dividends as qualifying for 2010 approaches. Its the way a lot of teams approach these types of tournaments this summer, I realize we are not Brazil, never will be, but they aren't going to be fielding their "A" team for the Copa America. When they used to send teams to compete in our Gold Cup they'd send their olympic teams not their national squads.

Mexico is sending a team with players who won't play in 2010 (Blanco for one), what sense does that make? Why not get guys who have a future?

Bradley needs to field a competitive team, one that looks to be the right mix of youth and experience and needs to show some tactical smarts that frankly I haven't seen in any of the previous International matches under him. He's been playing it right with getting young guys time but the adjustments just aren't there...and if I see another front line of Rolfe and Donovan I'll be sick, 2 5' 8" 160 lb strikers playing together just don't make sense(not to mention Rolfe is a crappy international).

So how few wins would you consider acceptable? I'm all for getting our youth valuable experience, but not at the expense of them being shell-shocked and wiped off the pitch to get it.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So how few wins would you consider acceptable? I'm all for getting our youth valuable experience, but not at the expense of them being shell-shocked and wiped off the pitch to get it.

I don't want them to get their butts handed to them, they still need to be competitive but if they lose a game with young guys yet they are hanging in there the whole match I won't fault Bob Bradley (unless he does something stupid tactically or plays guys who IMO are worthless). I couldn't put a number on wins to expect. I just want to see us look prepared for every match and come out knowing we have some youngsters who will contribute on the Nat'l team level sooner rather than later. It would be great if a player like Eddie Johnson found his scoring touch again too, a confident EJ would go a long way in helping our scoring problems.

In the Gold Cup the US plays Guatemla, Trinidad and El Salvador in group play, our "B" team should be able to beat Trinidad and El Salvador (especially on US soil), Guatemala will be tough especially if they employ the same tactic they did in the friendly earlier this year. The second round is anyones guess based on who they get Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada (who played us to a draw last time) and Panama could all cause problems. I know the US is gonna put greater emphasis on this tournament because its our regions championship.

In Copa America the US plays Colombia, Paraguay and Argentina...I don't expect our A team to beat Argentina, let alone our B team, Colombia and Parguay aren't particularly strong but the tournament is in South America, if we can get out of group play I would consider that a strong showing.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This isn't the final roster but the first one submitted, players in bold are ones I think shouldn't be on the list at all, players in RED are ones I'd like to see get a lot of playing time this summer...

PRELIMINARY ROSTER

USA

Name Pos. D.O.B. Club
Chris Albright MD 14.01.1979 Los Angeles Galaxy
DaMarcus Beasley MD 24.05.1982 Manchester City/ENG
Kyle Beckerman MD 23.04.1982 Colorado Rapids
Carlos Bocanegra DF 25.05.1979 Fulham FC/ENG
Jonathan Bornstein DF 07.11.1984 Chivas USA
Bobby Boswell DF 15.03.1983 D.C. United
Michael Bradley MD 31.07.1987 SC Heerenveen/NED
Joseph Cannon GK 01.01.1975 Los Angeles Galaxy
Brian Carroll MD 20.07.1981 D.C. United