Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The prophacy is now complete, he has brought balance to the force

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
It was not an add-on note, it was part of the article. Writing more about Boldin as a rookie making the Pro Bowl is another story that, I am sure, will follow soon.

azsports

Veteran
Reaction score
Print This | Email This | Most Popular | Subscribe | Larger Type | Smaller Type
Boldin makes Pro Bowl
advertisement

Associated Press
Dec. 18, 2003 01:00 PM

NEW YORK - Steve McNair made the Pro Bowl on Thursday along with three other Tennessee Titans, a year after the team was shunned with no selections, but still made the AFC title game.

It was the first time in his nine-year career that McNair made the NFL's all-star game. It will be played Feb. 8 in Honolulu.

Kansas City and Baltimore each had eight players on the team, chosen by fans, coaches and players. The vote of each group counted one-third.

The Baltimore contingent was led by linebacker Ray Lewis and offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden, both multiple Pro Bowl selections. The Chiefs chosen included running back Priest Holmes and tight end Tony Gonzalez.

In addition to McNair, the Titans also had linebacker Keith Bulluck, wide receiver Derrick Mason and punter Craig Hentrich.

This season's version of last year's Titans were the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots, each with two. The Patriots (12-2) are tied with Kansas City for the AFC's best record and the Eagles (11-3) are tied with St. Louis atop the NFC.

The Patriots were defensive lineman Richard Seymour and cornerback Ty Law. The Eagles got quarterback Donovan McNabb and cornerback Troy Vincent in the Pro Bowl.

"To have the best team in the NFC and to only have two players picked, we were slighted," said McNabb, who was voted to the team for the first time, although he's been to the Pro Bowl three other times as an injury replacement.

Among those shut out in the voting was LaDainian Tomlinson of San Diego, who leads the NFL with 2,011 combined yards. He is fourth in rushing, and was beaten out by the top three: Jamal Lewis of Baltimore, Clinton Portis of Denver and Holmes.

There were the usual strange selections, such as guard Larry Allen of the Cowboys.

Allen has been hurt much of the year and has been in and out of the lineup. Offensive line positions in the game often are permanent - once a player makes it, he makes it forever, and this will be Allen's ninth Pro Bowl.

Also selected was New York Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey, the only rookie who made it last year. Shockey has 48 receptions to lead all NFC tight ends, but hasn't played since being injured on Nov. 9 and may not play the final two games.

The only rookie on either team this season is wide receiver Anquan Boldin of Arizona, who has 86 receptions, third in the NFC.

McNair is joined at quarterback on the AFC squad by Peyton Manning of Indianapolis and Trent Green of Kansas City. The NFC quarterbacks are McNabb, Brett Favre of Green Bay and Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota.

The starters will be announced at a later date.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sa - WEET! He definitely deserves it!

Will being the only rookie to make the pro-bowl give him even better odds of winning rookie of the year??? I'd guess yes.

SHORTY19991

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jersey Girl Cards Fan
Sa - WEET!
Will being the only rookie to make the pro-bowl give him even better odds of winning rookie of the year??? I'd guess yes.

He certainly deserves the ROY honors as well. Leave it to Quan. The bright spot on a dismal season. When do they announce those? Now just a win on the road Sunday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Quan you earned it!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's just awesome and well deserved - the kid is an absolute warrior. Congrats Q!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Why doesn't the Cards site have this info on their site????? Man this pisses me off. :mad:

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Why doesn't the Cards site have this info on their site????? Man this pisses me off. :mad:

The "official" announcement doens't come for a bit.....what if that was a mistake and the Cards put it up on their site then the announcement comes down different?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by Card Trader
The "official" announcement doens't come for a bit.....what if that was a mistake and the Cards put it up on their site then the announcement comes down different?

Man that would realy piss me off. :D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Man that would realy piss me off. :D
The way you avoid prematurely putting up the info only to find it incorrect is you quote the source.

I heard it on KDUS and posted it on the BRS a half hour ago, citing them as "KDUS reports that..."

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And to think... it all started (for me anyway) with ESPN showing that video snippet of Quan tearing off the helmet of some Miami Hurricane just after the Cards drafted him.

We've come a long way, baby. Congrats, Quan.