Both Sides Now

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In her hit song Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell did a masterful job of capturing the paradoxical nature of clouds, love and life. Here is what Mitchell had to say about clouds:

Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
I's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all.

Both Sides of the Bidwills

The current Cardinal players are amazed at how aggressive the Cardinals have been the past few days, to the point where Larry Fitzgerald exclaimed that in all his time in Arizona he's never seen the Cardinals more pro-active.

We Cardinal fans have been treated to three of the most compelling and suspenseful days in the history of the team. It was an entire off-season of moves wrapped up and presented in three days. It was like a three day Christmas. The anticipation---the unwrapping---the surprise. And just when you wondered if all the gifts had been exchanged---suddenly a new shiny one arrives at the door---and the news that yet another and another may be arriving soon.

Yes---this Christmas it seems quite clear that Scrooge has awakened. Scrooge is "not the man I used to be."

Well---the man Scrooge used to be---just last year---despite basking in the profits of a delightful string of sold-out seasons and the financial bonanza of cashing in on 6 playoff games in two years, including the team's very first Super Bowl appearance---Scrooge decided that with the lockout looming that he would protect his own pockets---er---to the tune of $40,000,000.

In doing so, he sacrificed the team's chances to remain the toast of the lowly NFC West.

The fans still sold the games out, despite suffering through one of the most agonizing and dispiriting seasons in team history. Bidwill still reaped all of the profits as if it were any other sold-out season...very sadly, at the fans' expense.

And he was now poised and ready to weather the lockout for as long as it took---hey, his house was fortified and stocked to the gills in $40,000,000 dollars worth of provisions. In Victorian times, Bidwill could be called a "good man of business."

Both Side of the Kevin Kolb Trade

As all the football world knew, the Cardinals were in desperate need of acquiring a starting QB.

There were rumblings early that what the Cardinals would prefer is to put the keys in the hands of a younger player who could potentially be the franchise QB for the next ten years.

After an extensive analysis of their options, the Cardinals decided that the Eagles' young backup, Kevin Kolb, was the right QB.

Kolb fits the mold. He's got good size---he's got a strong, potentially accurate arm and he's reasonably athletic. All of this was confirmed, urged and supported by the Cardinals' star WR Larry Fitzgerald who invited Kolb to his hacienda for an informal tryout. Kolb and Fitz bonded.

If anyone wishes to see just how good Kolb can be---watch the highlights of the Eagles' 31-17 trouncing of the very good Atlanta Falcons last year. Kolb---having recently returned from a first game concussion and filling in for an injured Mike Vick---delivered a near perfect pitch and catch 3 TD performance.

Yet---the reality is that Kevin Kolb is entering his 5th year in the NFL having only started 7 games (3-4 record). He has 11 career TDs versus 14 career interceptions. Even as injury prone Mike Vick can be---the Eagles were eager to trade Kolb. This much is obvious: the Eagles no longer envisioned Kolb as the QB of their present and future.

The Cardinals knew they would have to give up a lot to get him. At the end of the day, the Cardinals had to surrender one-time Pro Bowl CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and their 2nd round pick in the 2012 draft. The silver lining in this is that the Cardinals did not have to surrender their 1st round pick---something the Eagles wanted.

Then there is the matter of signing Kolb to a 6 year $63,000,000 ($22M in guaranteed money) deal.

Three days ago NFL Networks' Michael Lombardi broke the numbers down as follows:

$21,166,667...for each career win

$9,071,429...for each career start

$5,772,727...for each career TD

What some people may forget is that Kolb is already a very rich man---back in 2009, when the Eagles felt that it was time to get rid of Donovan McNabb in favor of anointing Kolb as their QBOP&F, the Eagles signed him to a 2 year $12,260,000 contract---all of it guaranteed---with an immediate $10.7M signing bonus. And---get this---the Eagles wanted to secure Kolb long-term but could not because of the expiring CBA---and a rule that "limited annual raises in base salary to 30 percent." (ESPN.com).

Few players have profited more from the lockout than Kevin Kolb---for he got the best of it financially on both ends---to the extraordinary tune of $75,260,000.

When Andy Reid signed Kolb to the 2 year $12.26M deal, he said, "We are happy to have Kevin under contract for the next two seasons. When given the chance Kevin has proven to have good command of this offense and we're looking forward to having him operate as the No. 1 QB for the Philadelphia Eagles."

When asked to respond to Reid's remarks and his new contract and starting role, Kolb replied, "It will be a different feel but, at the same time, it feels right."

Curiously---the sentiment that Kolb recently shared about his new contract and role with the Arizona Cardinals: "It feels right."

Both Sides of the Free Agent Signings & Trade Acquisitions

A Draft of Veterans in July:

1st Rounders:

TE Todd Heap (2001--BAL---11th year)
DE Vonnie Holliday (1998---GB---14th year)

2nd Rounders:

QB Kevin Kolb (2007---PHI---5th year)
LG Daryn Colledge (2006---GB---6th year)
CB Richard Marshall (2006---CAR---6th year)
RG Deuce Lutui (2006---ARZ---6th year)

3rd Rounders:

LB Stewart Bradley (2007---PHI---5th year)

4th Rounders:

DE Nick Eason (2003---DEN---9th year)
RG Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack (2001---SEA---11th year)

5th Rounders:

TE Jeff King (2006---CAR---6th year)

7th Rounders:

WR Chansi Stuckey (2007---NYJ---5th year)

Projected Roles:

TE Todd Heap---Starter---
DE Vonnie Holliday---Situational pass rusher---
QB Kevin Kolb---Starter---
LG Daryn Colledge---Starter---
CB Richard Marshall---Starter or Nickel CB---
RG Deuce Lutui---Starter (if in shape)---
LB Stewart Bradley---Starter (if healthy)---SILB or possibly SOLB---
DE Nick Eason---backup rotation player at DE and NT---
G/T Floyd Pork Chop Womack---Starter at RG or RT (possible)---
TE Jeff King---blocking TE and possible FB in pass pro---
WR Chansi Stuckey---#3 or #4 WR (slot WR)---

What the Skeptics Say:

Heap---age
Holliday---age and possibly unhappy about trade
Kolb---unproven, way overpaid (trade terms and contract)
Colledge---weak link in GB's line, way overpaid
Marshall---pouted last season and was picked on constantly
Lutui---eating his way out of league
Bradley---not same player since ACL injury
Eason---another ho-hum Steeler castoff
Womack---age, weight
King---not a very good receiver
Stuckey---not a #2 WR

No real marquis names here---other than Heap---and STILL the Cardinals have not acquired an edge rusher at OLB, their most glaring need---that is if think Levi Brown is the answer at LT, which apparently Whisenhunt and Grimm still do.

Both Sides of the THT Trade

Cardinals get a situational pass rusher in DE Vonnie Holliday (which is an important need) and a 6th rounder (which could become a 5th)---and it makes the RB situation clearer.

Cardinals give up their best all-around RB. Wells will need to learn to block and catch. Williams will need to prove he is NFL ready. If one of them gets hurt---can the Cardinals count on the diminutive LeRod Stephens-Howling to be the #2 RB?

Both Sides of Fitzgerald's Impact

As Kurt Warner proved in certain ways---when star players exert their influence on the coaches and the organization, very good things can happen.

Fitz's leadership---in helping the organization acquire the necessary talent and direction---in order to allow the Cardinals to regain their status as playoff contenders---has been very interesting to watch.

If the organization hasn't made it attractive enough for free agents and other players to come to Arizona---Larry Fitzgerald and outspoken, enthusiastic teammates such as player rep Jay Feely, Darnell Dockett and Kerry Rhodes are showing that they can draw good attention to the Cardinals and their desire to win.

On the other hand---there needs to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere---because giving too much say to the players can come back to bite the organization...and can create a discernible rift between the players and the coaches, GM and front office.

Imagine too what would happen if after all the Cardinals' efforts---Fitzgerald maintains his superior leverage and spurns or defers their contract offers.

Maybe the solution is---pay Fitz two salaries: one for playing and one for being the assistant GM.

Both Sides of Coach Whisenhunt

Turned the franchise into a winner his first three years---mostly with players brought in by his predecessor Denny Green. Brought unpredictability (on-side kicks, gadget plays, etc.) and unprecedented excitement to the organization. Has a 4-2 record in the playoffs and appears hungry to improve that number.

Lost far too many games last year (many embarrassing routs) and suddenly was predictably conservative in games (punting on 4th and inches on numerous occasions even inside the opponents' territory) and unpredictably liberal in others (Anderson passing on 1st down from the opponents' 20 yard line with a game-winning and clock moving drive in full progress---ended by a totally unnecessary interception). Made a number of debatable decisions from personnel to game management calls. The players did not seem to play hard for him. Even QB Alex Smith had the temerity to say something to the effect that once you get up on the Cardinals they will fold up their tents---and then Smith went out under an interim coach and proved what he said in a season-ending 38-7 rout of the Cardinals.

Was 2010 an anomaly for Whisenhunt?

Can he win without Kurt Warner?

Which Whisenhunt will we see in 2011?

Both Sides of the Arizona Cardinals

I've looked at the Cardinals from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's Cardinal illusions I recall
I really don't know the Cardinals at all

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
could not get past joni mitchell.....put the pipe down, and just walk away!!

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In her hit song Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell did a
I really don't know the Cardinals at all

Mitch you are beautiful...great piece...how about "19th Nervous Breakdown?"

Although for some of us old horses it has been the 52nd (circa Chicago Cardinal fan).

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Very well put and written, Mitch.

(and thank you for referencing one my favourite compatriots, who has turned most of her songs into light jazz.)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know, Mitch, in the past the Cardinals blocked the sun. They rained and snowed on everyone. So many things we could have done. But the Cardinals got in the way.

I think we're headed towards moons and Junes and ferris wheels. That dizzy, dancing way you feel when every fairy tale comes real. I think we'll look at the Cardinals that way.

We'll have tears and fears but we'll feel proud. And say, "I love you!" right out loud.

This year we'll all be acting strange. Our friends will shake their heads and say we've changed. Well, we have lost but now we've gained... we'll be winners in this game.

;)

Go Cardinals!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You know, Mitch, in the past the Cardinals blocked the sun. They rained and snowed on everyone. So many things we could have done. But the Cardinals got in the way.

I think we're headed towards moons and Junes and ferris wheels. That dizzy, dancing way you feel when every fairy tale comes real. I think we'll look at the Cardinals that way.

We'll have tears and fears but we'll feel proud. And say, "I love you!" right out loud.

This year we'll all be acting strange. Our friends will shake their heads and say we've changed. Well, we have lost but now we've gained... we'll be winners in this game.

;)

Go Cardinals!

:thumbup:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

;)

Go Cardinals!

Well done (Mitch and Dems) but I think we should just put up a parking lot.

Steve

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch you are beautiful...great piece...how about "19th Nervous Breakdown?"

Although for some of us old horses it has been the 52nd (circa Chicago Cardinal fan).

"I can't get no satisfaction!" lobo! Great call on "19th Nervous breakdown"...

And speaking of the Stones and old horses---no matter what the Cardinals do---"wild horses can't drive us away!"

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

;)

Go Cardinals!

What a priceless response!

No matter what---I will say this right out loud---I love YOU, Dems!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, Steve!

The problem is---the Bidwills' parking rates are $20 an hour.

Ouch. Then I'd suggest alternate transportation - Magic Bus, Bus Rider or the already referenced Big Yellow Taxi. We're too landlocked to use a Yellow Submarine.

Steve

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry but I like the Judy Collins version which won her a grammy in 1968 for Both Sides. But I'm a little older than most on the Board.:)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you not make a living as a writer????

I may not fully agree with everything but very entertaining read.