Boxing legend Frank Bruno falls ‘seriously ill’ mid-flight

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Posts
395,426
Reaction score
43
You must be registered for see images attach

Frank Bruno was one of Britain’s most popular boxers in his heyday, winning the WBC heavyweight title in 1995 - Getty Images/Justin Setterfield

Frank Bruno was rushed to hospital after falling ill during a long-haul flight.

The 63-year-old former world heavyweight champion, one of Britain’s best-loved sports stars, spent nearly a fortnight in a hospital in Doha after becoming unwell while travelling to Thailand on March 3.

It followed a post on X from Bruno on that date showing a photograph of him smiling while sitting on a plane alongside the words: “Morning so the Frank Bruno World tour continues up early for a plane I don’t sleep well on planes but trying to catch up on some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s.”

Morning so the Frank Bruno World tour continues up early for a plane I don't sleep well on planes but trying to catch up on some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's pic.twitter.com/l7XxHv8QTy

— Frank Bruno MBE (@frankbrunoboxer) March 3, 2025

Bruno’s manager Dave Davies told The Sun: “Frank was flying out to work in Thailand when he was taken ill on the plane at Doha.

“Medical crew attended Frank on the plane and at hospital. He’s now recovering and hopes to be back at work as soon as possible.”

An ‘Evening with Frank Bruno’ event scheduled for Sunday in Manchester has been postponed.

Bruno wrote on X: “Morning so my illness story is out! Now you know why I have been quiet on social media. The last three weeks have been tough especially not knowing what was wrong with me and a viral infection can mean loads of things between Dave in the office and me we’ll keep you informed.

“At the moment I am told I cannot go to work so for the jobs last week and this weekend please accept my apology however the office is telling me most bookers want to transfer the booked dates. The office tells me already this morning hundreds of messages from well wishers so thank you. Can’t wait to get back to work.”

In an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport last month, Bruno said: “We only have one time on this earth so while on it, look after yourself the best you can.”

Asked what was next for him, he added: “Happiness. Find a nice young lady. That’s about it. I’m not asking too much… she’d not have to bring no money at all, I’d take care of things. I’m quite happy and contented. But everyone has a ducker or diver in them, to put food on their table for the missus, family or themselves.

“I like getting up in the morning, punching the bag, going for a run, having a steamer or a ‘tacuzzi’ – I can’t pronounce it the right way. Just getting on with life.

He also said he would “love” to return to the ring for a rematch against Tim Witherspoon and would also fight Lennox Lewis again “if he wants the money”.

Broaden your horizons with award-winning British journalism. Try The Telegraph free for 1 month with unlimited access to our award-winning website, exclusive app, money-saving offers and more.

Continue reading...
 
Top