Bubble watch

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
If Wise can come back for Staples and he can play a solid 25 minutes per game we can make a run at Staples if we are opposite UCLA in the bracket.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What an embarrassing loss. This team is not good and does not deserve a bid.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
If Kevin O'neill isn't let go at the end of the season, whenever that is, I'm going to puke. He's been an abysmal coach and the fact that he won't play the zone matchup in college where it thrives is just sickening. He's a pro coach in college which just doesn't work, just like college coaches don't work in the pros. O'neill is single-handedly destroying the program and Lute needs to meet with each player and recruit right now and tell each of them he will be there next year.

They do need to win 3 of the last 5 and at least get to the semis in the pac 10 tourney to get in for sure. I just don't see them beating Wash. St. right now, UCLA is a no, so they now have to win against USC, and the Oregon schools on the road which is a tough task, given that they lost to Oregon at home by 10.

The only hope right now for the Cats to get in is by making a strong run, opposite UCLA like Mr. Boldin says, and hope that nobody else gets injured. I'm also hoping that if they do that, the committee will look at the fact that we lost Bayless for a while and then Nic Wise so our starting 5 hasn't been there the whole time.

If Kevin breaks the streak, look for him to take the first flight out of Tucson. I think he'll be watching Selection Sunday from the safety of another country.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Whoever is coaching next year (probably Lute) need to get some freaking better basketball players starting with a spring signing or two to cement the solid 2008 class. More than half of Arizona's roster flat out cannot play the game of basketball, that's inexcusable for a program like Arizona.

BigShtank

Reaction score
Whoever is coaching next year (probably Lute) need to get some freaking better basketball players starting with a spring signing or two to cement the solid 2008 class. More than half of Arizona's roster flat out cannot play the game of basketball, that's inexcusable for a program like Arizona.

Agreed, I just don't know where they get these big men like Brielmaier and Walters. I'm looking at their F's and C's and Budinger and Hill are the only good ones. The rest haven't done much. Lute's great at recruiting guards, but I don't know why he hasn't gotten too many good centers.

He does have a good PF and C coming in next year, but stop with the sub par ones.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Agreed, I just don't know where they get these big men like Brielmaier and Walters. I'm looking at their F's and C's and Budinger and Hill are the only good ones. The rest haven't done much. Lute's great at recruiting guards, but I don't know why he hasn't gotten too many good centers.

He does have a good PF and C coming in next year, but stop with the sub par ones.
Wise and Bayless are the only two serviceable back court players as well.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
O'Neil has signed a two-year contract so he will be back next year. I do not blame this all on KO because he is without Nic and Brett, and the Cats do not have a bench.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
O'Neil has signed a two-year contract so he will be back next year. I do not blame this all on KO because he is without Nic and Brett, and the Cats do not have a bench.
That remains to be seen. KO and Lute currently don't have the relationship they had a few months ago, nor does Livengood and Lute.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That remains to be seen. KO and Lute currently don't have the relationship they had a few months ago, nor does Livengood and Lute.

Lute will be back. I know a few who work in the athletic department and they have told me he definitely will be the coach next year. I would hope Livengood would retire. The guy can keep the program in the black but he can't hire coaches worth a darn. This is Lute's program and he will say when he retires, not Livengood.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
a. this is simply the worst uofa team i can remember.

b. this is a bad team. i can't remember ever thinking that. even in the "thunder jud buechler" days.

c. budinger just isn't a very good basketball player. not mentally tough. lots of skills and no heart to use them. i'm done with his hype.

d. wasting what may be the only year of an unbeleivable talent of bayless is a shame.

e. it's been years since lute recruited good bigs like wookie, stokes, brian williams. they weren't elite bigs, but they were good enough to play their role.

f. i always wanted josh pastner to take over the reigns when lute hung 'em up. he's homegrown, apparently coached some AU teams to national championships, works with shooting for the entire team, and has been basically bred to be a coach, and moreso a UofA coach, imo.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lute was special, emphasis on was. The run is over. Mediocrity and irrelevance loom.

"Back to the Future" works only in the movies. Denial reigns in Tucson.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If Josh Pastner is ever Arizona's head coach I'm going to shoot myself. The guy can bang the phones and lock down recruits with the best of him, but his talent evaluation is terrible at best.

And count me among the few that don't want Kevin O'Neill or Lute Olson back next season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lute was special, emphasis on was. The run is over. Mediocrity and irrelevance loom.

"Back to the Future" works only in the movies. Denial reigns in Tucson.

You only wish.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
You only wish.

He's right if changes aren't made within the program. Arizona has the money and clout to make those changes and become a premiere hoops program (which can't be said for Tempe), what remains to be seen is if they have the desire or creativity to get it done.

In a few months, Arizona will have a top 5 recruiting class, arguably the best hoops facilities in the country, revenue among the top 10 in all of college basketball, and dozens of alumni making a combined eight or nine figures around the world playing basketball.

There really is no excuse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's right if changes aren't made within the program. Arizona has the money and clout to make those changes and become a premiere hoops program (which can't be said for Tempe), what remains to be seen is if they have the desire or creativity to get it done.

In a few months, Arizona will have a top 5 recruiting class, arguably the best hoops facilities in the country, revenue among the top 10 in all of college basketball, and dozens of alumni making a combined eight or nine figures around the world playing basketball.

There really is no excuse.

All top programs have a bad year or two. The Cats are a top-program and no way do the alumni and boosters will allow Livengood to screw this up. O'Neil will not be back after next year, he might not be back next year. This is a program where coaches will be wanting to come here. I am still hoping the Mark Few rumors the past couple of years are true.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huge win for the Cats as they beat #17 WSU! If they were going to get one win on this road trip, beating the Cougars is the one you want and they got it!

BigShtank

Reaction score
All top programs have a bad year or two. The Cats are a top-program and no way do the alumni and boosters will allow Livengood to screw this up. O'Neil will not be back after next year, he might not be back next year. This is a program where coaches will be wanting to come here. I am still hoping the Mark Few rumors the past couple of years are true.

As am I. UNC had a short downturn when Dean Smith retired before finally getting Roy Williams to revive the program. I'm just hoping that KON doesn't end the streak. Lute will bring us back next year, step down in a couple and hopefully Mark Few will come.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge win for the Cats as they beat #17 WSU! If they were going to get one win on this road trip, beating the Cougars is the one you want and they got it!

Yes it was. Blew up my theory that the team chemistry was bad. Very impressive. If the Cats beat USC tonight, quien sabe what their tournament upside will be.

One thing for sure, nobody will look forward to facing them.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a horrible game. USC came out strong and led the entire game. They have the best defense in the league. I hope Wise can come back next week because Bayless is better as the #2 guard.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That was a horrible game. USC came out strong and led the entire game. They have the best defense in the league. I hope Wise can come back next week because Bayless is better as the #2 guard.

I actually think UCLA's defense is better.... Today is a HUGE game for UofA, although I disagree with many who are calling it a "must-win".
I think they could beat Oregon in Eugene, if not, I think UofA may still get in at 8-10, with a win over WAZZU in the first round of the Tournament....

All that said... UofA in all likelyhood, assuming OSU as a win, needs to beat 1 of Oregon, UCLA, or WAZZU (as the 6th seed)....Thats a pretty tough road...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think UCLA's defense is better.... Today is a HUGE game for UofA, although I disagree with many who are calling it a "must-win".
I think they could beat Oregon in Eugene, if not, I think UofA may still get in at 8-10, with a win over WAZZU in the first round of the Tournament....

All that said... UofA in all likelyhood, assuming OSU as a win, needs to beat 1 of Oregon, UCLA, or WAZZU (as the 6th seed)....Thats a pretty tough road...

I agree with most of what you said.

Starting to sweat, yet Mao? :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They defend differently. USC is all about take away what you want to do and make non scorers score, they block a lot of shots, and don't really force a lot of turnovers. UCLA tries to take away your strength but they don't block shots and they do force a lot of turnovers which they convert into easy buckets. UCLA scores more off their defense. One of the things USC does is they drop guys back and concede the rebound to prevent breaks, UCLA doesn't do that.

USC still led the conf in defensive FG % last time I checked, not sure where the rank in points per possession defense compared to UCLA but I think it's pretty close.