Bucher Chat

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not much in there, mostly stuff we already know...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12331

Christopher (Phoenix, AZ): Ric, please give me something about the Suns. They had 2 moves that flew under the radar that seem to add veteran depth to an already solid roster. What else do we need to jump over the big boys in the West and get to the finals?

SportsNation Ric Bucher: Nash to stay healthy and Shawn Marion to be happy with his role as the third option. Other than that, nothing. The Suns, in my opinion, were Raja Bell's injury away from backing into a championship this season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
"The Suns, in my opinion, were Raja Bell's injury away from backing into a championship this season."

Amen

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bucher and Stein are the only espn guys worth listening to. I may not always agree with them but they offer good insight.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Bucher and Stein are the only espn guys worth listening to. I may not always agree with them but they offer good insight.

I know last week, Chad Ford still had us as the #1 Western Conference team in his early predictions.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I know last week, Chad Ford still had us as the #1 Western Conference team in his early predictions.

Well I don't really base my opinion on just how they view the Suns. Ford isn't really that bad but I don't think he's as informative or knows as much as Bucher and Stein. Hollinger is one guy I don't like, he tries too hard with the stats and I don't think he really follows the game. Stats may work for a sport like baseball but I don't think they are the end all be all in other sports.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Well I don't really base my opinion on just how they view the Suns. Ford isn't really that bad but I don't think he's as informative or knows as much as Bucher and Stein. Hollinger is one guy I don't like, he tries too hard with the stats and I don't think he really follows the game. Stats may work for a sport like baseball but I don't think they are the end all be all in other sports.

I'm not a fan of John Hollinger either for basically the same reason. The thing that really gets me about him is that he states everything as a fact based on his statistics. This player IS better than this other one because my weird statistics say so.

Joe

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Hollinger simply uses the wrong stats. Things like rebounds per 48 only go so far. Eventually you have to say a guy who plays 15 minutes doesn't have the same value as a guy who plays 35 minutes. Sometimes "per 48" reveals something interesting, but most of the time it just proves that the less time you play, the less mistakes you have the opportunity to make. I think Chris Wilcox is the perfect example of both of those extremes.