Cal Vs Miami and Alex Mack

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
They are mentioning on ESPN that Alex Mack is a 2nd or a 3rd rounder. why is our guys on the message baord claiming that he is a 1st round pick.. who spends a first rounder on a Center unless you are an AL Davis... I think we can get him in the 2nd round if he has a great combine.. otherwise, we can get him in the third...

I think we should spend our 1st on the best available player who is not a QB or a WR...what do you guys think??

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
They are mentioning on ESPN that Alex Mack is a 2nd or a 3rd rounder. why is our guys on the message baord claiming that he is a 1st round pick.. who spends a first rounder on a Center unless you are an AL Davis... I think we can get him in the 2nd round if he has a great combine.. otherwise, we can get him in the third...

I think we should spend our 1st on the best available player who is not a QB or a WR...what do you guys think??

I focused on mack throughout the game. He definately had his moments and is very athletic and moves really well. I also noticed he was pushed back on occasions which to me raises concerns even though he would be a upgrade over Seindlein. The guy who impressed me the most was the LG, #70. He is a roadgrader!!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because it is ESPN. What has ESPN ever shown in knowledge of anything past the mississippi river?

Mack is a phenomal center and won't be there in the second round. He might not be there when we pick in the first. Anyone care to bet he won't make it to the second round? I scored a nice cooler of beer from Cbus who thought Antoine Cason would be available in the second round last year as well.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
A$FN bet Donald? :p

I may agree with you on that tho. I'm not sure right now. :shrug:

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Because it is ESPN. What has ESPN ever shown in knowledge of anything past the mississippi river?

Mack is a phenomal center and won't be there in the second round. He might not be there when we pick in the first. Anyone care to bet he won't make it to the second round? I scored a nice cooler of beer from Cbus who thought Antoine Cason would be available in the second round last year as well.
He won't be there in the late teens....? Doubtful.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
In the past 10 drafts there have been 4 first round centers taken. They all went 16 or later, so it isn't that absurd to take them in the first round if they are good. All of them ended up being decent pros too.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
With each year in John Lott's training program Lyle Sendlein is only going to get better and better. To suggest a college player is an upgrade on him at this point is moot.

Sendlein has been much more of an asset than a liability. He's a keeper, IMO.

What the Cardinals need most at this point are tacklers and edge pass rushers...and a FS with range.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It All Comes Down to "How's Your Wife? (Compared to Who?")

I watched Mack on one long running play - move his man out of the hole and then steer him back toward the LOS (so he couldn't pursue).

That made a believer out of me. (As well as his supposing to be very very smart).

Centers rarely go in the first round (almost never in the top 16).

Based on limited early knowledge about the various available prospects, I'd love for us to draft him; but he'd have to clear two obstacles:

1. No one else still on our board is ranked higher

2. No other team drafted him yet.

The real ticklish question might be: If we rate another player higher, would we be willing to risk waiting til our next pick (and possibly even attempt to trade back up into the 1st round in the hope Mack would still be available)?

And part of that question might involve, say, passing up a higher-rated RB order to grab Mack "because there will be good RB's available in the second round but no decent centers." (Normally, I'd recommend not going that route because that's how teams tie themselves in knots and talk themselves out of drafting a really good player. But this may be an exception).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With each year in John Lott's training program Lyle Sendlein is only going to get better and better. To suggest a college player is an upgrade on him at this point is moot.

What the Cardinals need most at this point are tacklers and edge pass rushers...and a FS with range.

So, you are happy with our overall running game and blocking assignments? C'mon Mitch.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Mack on one long running play - move his man out of the hole and then steer him back toward the LOS (so he couldn't pursue).

That made a believer out of me. (As well as his supposing to be very very smart).

Centers rarely go in the first round (almost never in the top 16).

Based on limited early knowledge about the various available prospects, I'd love for us to draft him; but he'd have to clear two obstacles:

2. No other team drafted him yet.

The real ticklish question might be: If we rate another player higher, would we be willing to risk waiting til our next pick (and possibly even attempt to trade back up into the 1st round in the hope Mack would still be available)?

And part of that question might involve, say, passing up a higher-rated RB order to grab Mack "because there will be good RB's available in the second round but no decent centers." (Normally, I'd recommend not going that route because that's how teams tie themselves in knots and talk themselves out of drafting a really good player. But this may be an exception).

That long running play was great blocking...that guy was the closest guy to catching the RB on the TD on that play, and Mack pushed him so much he couldn't make a play, then he was running downfield as well.

Another play, he sealed his guy and had the guy locked, so he stuck out his left hand and looked for another guy, getting an arm on another guy's shoudler to push him. That's stuff that MAKES an olineman in my opinion. Contain your guy, but be aware of guys around you.

On one of the TDs, he pushed his guy, released deeper because it was a sweep and cut the MLB off at the knees...the MLB who had an angle on the RB. TD.

Mack is the real deal...smart and strong.

I really don't think he's going to be there when we pick. Yes, he's a center. Yes it is mid-first round...but I think Buffalo takes the guy. He's a stud at the position, and I think C is the most important position on a line...and we start an UDFA...who has played very well for his talent level, but he's no alex mack.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is a weird draft in that regard. It is stuffed to the rafters with meat...OL and DL studs. Not many skill positions but deep as hell in the meat.

It will come down to where we think we can improve. I think we'll do well in this draft.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
wayyyyyyy to early to fine tune the draft.

and just to kick off a debate: I hate the idea of picking a particular position to draft for with the first round pick.

For what its worth -- over at ESPN they have the top 32 including Juniors likely to declare. Looking at their rankings -- for the players ranked 10 to 32-- with maybe two exceptions, everyone of those players could help.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I respectfully disagree Mitch, I've seen Sendlein let men go free, miss blocks, or be overpowered.

It's true that all linemen can say those things about themselves at one time or another, but with Sendein it seems to be more rule then exception.

I think an upgrade can be made for sure, but I couldn't tell you if it'd be a draftee or a FA.

He's a very valuable depth guy to have around.

Mitch

Reaction score
What frustrates me is that so many of you account for no margin of improvement, particularly with young players. How many of you wrote J.J. Arrington off?...for example...

Lyle Sendlein and Levi Brown are 2nd year players who have helped the Cardinals score more points in a season than any other Cardinal team.

Sure, they both have had their ups and downs...but how many 2nd year players wouldn't?

I therefore refuse to believe that the Cardinals should address the center position in the first or second round.

I am happy with Sendlein and feel he will get stronger each year. And I still believe that in a year or two Levi Brown will be one of the better RTs in the NFL.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What frustrates me is that so many of you account for no margin of improvement, particularly with young players. How many of you wrote J.J. Arrington off?...for example...

Lyle Sendlein and Levi Brown are 2nd year players who have helped the Cardinals score more points in a season than any other Cardinal team.

Sure, they both have had their ups and downs...but how many 2nd year players wouldn't?

I therefore refuse to believe that the Cardinals should address the center position in the first or second round.

I am happy with Sendlein and feel he will get stronger each year. And I still believe that in a year or two Levi Brown will be one of the better RTs in the NFL.

To be fair, I wrote JJ off on draft day, I thought he benefited from some massive holes by the Cal oline.

Has he proved me wrong? Sure and I'm glad.

The norm of allowing players to have at least 3 years to develop is a good one. Look how the team has benefited from patience. Pace, Wilson, and Hayes are all later round guys who have blossomed with time.

Because I'm not in the Cardinal front office my opinion is simply for conversation. I think we can all agree the knee-jerk reactions of fans are best left for message boards, but for what it's worth, when it comes to Lyle, I don't see it.

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
I think the draft would be well spent grabbing a franchise back like Moreno or Wells..

Then grabbing as many pass rushers as possible.

FS is certainly a position that could be upgraded as well, same with the TE position. I wouldnt list them as priority A or B, but certainly it would help to upgrade at both positions..

I think our OLine could use some improvement and competition as Im not particularly in love with any one of those guys.. but personally, I think a legit RB and more experience could do wonders for the unit...

But Im with Mitch in regards to the pass rushers... get me a bunch of 3-4 OLBs and a legit defensive coordinator, and I think we'll make great improvements

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, mitch...in a gimmick offense where we can't run the freaking ball to save our skins.

Dude, you've coached. You have played (I think). How could you EVER say we are good on the line? And that Lyle is solid? Lyle is a solid BACKUP.

We run a gimmick offense where passing is all we have...no running game to speak of...the center is the man who calls out blocking assignments and moves FORWARD when at the point of attack. I can't count the times Lyle has moved BACK on running plays. He's a great guy, and a great backup, but I don't want him anchoring this OLine....do you???

Mitch

Reaction score
Yes, mitch...in a gimmick offense where we can't run the freaking ball to save our skins.

Dude, you've coached. You have played (I think). How could you EVER say we are good on the line? And that Lyle is solid? Lyle is a solid BACKUP.

We run a gimmick offense where passing is all we have...no running game to speak of...the center is the man who calls out blocking assignments and moves FORWARD when at the point of attack. I can't count the times Lyle has moved BACK on running plays. He's a great guy, and a great backup, but I don't want him anchoring this OLine....do you???

I am preaching patience here, Donald. For a second year player and an undrafted college free agent to boot, Sendlein has been better than expected. Let's see how he improves within John Lott's training regimen.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I am preaching patience here, Donald. For a second year player and an undrafted college free agent to boot, Sendlein has been better than expected. Let's see how he improves within John Lott's training regimen.

The experts say this is the best year for centers in many years. I'm all for grabbing one while the grabbing is good. What this O-line needs more than anything IMO is a vocal and smart leader. Reggie Wells is OK, but the line needs a REAL leader with intensity and fire. I'm not sure if Alex Mack is that guy, but if so, I'm all for drafting the guy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basing any Cal OL player on what they did against Miami could be a huge error in judgment. Miami's DL and LBs are young and they suck. They were last in the the ACC against the run. They made everyone they played look like juggernauts.

They gave up

219 Rushing yards against NC State
472 rushing yards to Georgia Tech
195 rushing yards to Wake Forest
281 rushing yards to FSU
217 rushing yards to Cal

The teams they held to low rushing yards made up for it with passing yards, because thta was also easy. When Tebow can throw ( which is not his strong suit )for 300 yards, they didn't need to run.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Don't you then think Rolle will improve in 2nd year at FS. Our biggest needs are the middle of the OL and the edge of the defense. A big NT wouldn't hurt either.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Don't you then think Rolle will improve in 2nd year at FS. Our biggest needs are the middle of the OL and the edge of the defense. A big NT wouldn't hurt either.

Add a tight end who can block and a speedy RB and the list is complete.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I have no issue with a draft philosophy that places an emphasis on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball --

but if we have learned anything, its drafts tend to go badly when you lock in on one position in round 1.

I have the Cards currently at #21. I think the Cards will have a few choices from among a couple different positions.