Cardinal employees to be put on a one week furlough

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adam Schefter tweet:

Starting Monday, each Cardinals non-contracted employee will be on a one-week furlough. Cardinals contracted coaches already had salaries slashed 35%.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Adam Schefter tweet:

Starting Monday, each Cardinals non-contracted employee will be on a one-week furlough. Cardinals contracted coaches already had salaries slashed 35%.

Yep. Par for the course.

I feel bad for the workers, but the situation is what it is.

Lots of people have gone through this over that last few years.

Hope the furlough doesn't turn into a pink slip.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Profootballtalk.com Posted by Gregg Rosenthal

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Cardinals are invoking a one-week forced furlough for all non-contracted employees starting Sunday after midnight. They won’t be allowed to attend the team’s training facility or check email. (Seriously? Checking email?)

The Cardinals, run by the Bidwill family, have been one of the most aggressive teams in slashing pay during the lockout. The Cardinals coaching staff are contracted employees and have already seen their salaries cut by 35%.

No matter who you blame for the lockout, this behavior is gutless. (Even if it is unsurprising.) Owners knew this lockout was possibly coming and many planned appropriately for it,which shouldn’t be so hard to do at a time of unprecedented wealth for the league.

Other teams like the Cardinals and Dolphins decided it was palatable to punish those employees who could least afford it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Cardinals are invoking a one-week forced furlough for all non-contracted employees starting Sunday after midnight. They won’t be allowed to attend the team’s training facility or check email. (Seriously? Checking email?)

The Cardinals, run by the Bidwill family, have been one of the most aggressive teams in slashing pay during the lockout. The Cardinals coaching staff are contracted employees and have already seen their salaries cut by 35%.

No matter who you blame for the lockout, this behavior is gutless. (Even if it is unsurprising.) Owners knew this lockout was possibly coming and many planned appropriately for it,which shouldn’t be so hard to do at a time of unprecedented wealth for the league.

Other teams like the Cardinals and Dolphins decided it was palatable to punish those employees who could least afford it.
Yep.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just talked with a Cardinals employee today in response to them calling season ticket holders about any concerns and soliciting feedback.

Super nice guy, knows football. We shot the crap for 5 minutes about the draft picks, the QB situation and the team in general before even getting to the feedback questions.

I asked him about the furlough, and to his credit he didn't seem distressed at all. Seems like he loves his job. I told him that sucks and he didn't deserve it, but he at least put on a presence of a real positive attitude.

Cards should have planned for this and banked some money to keep these folks on. I know personally I bank money in case any thing bad happens to me.

Very sad.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noting to see here.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wish the Bidwills were cool. With the lockout looking like it's going to be a while it would be nice to see them do something for the fans, especially the season ticket holders.

They can't interact with the Players and all but the Fans aren't off limits.

Why not host a day where season ticket holders can come in and do some of the "chill" drills with the Cardinal coaching staff? Give the season ticket holders full run of the facility the Fans pay for. Just be cool, you know?

Do some throwing/running drills, play some flag football. Listen to how the coaches coach by getting coached by them, make it a real experience. Maybe even get a Tshirt. :D

I think it would inspire some of the people that are still on the fence about purchasing season tickets. I can't afford them but if the building is just sitting there, and so are the coaches, and the Fans got nothing to do but hate on both sides for taking away our beloved sport...

Friggin lockout. :(

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I wish the Bidwills were cool. With the lockout looking like it's going to be a while it would be nice to see them do something for the fans, especially the season ticket holders.

They can't interact with the Players and all but the Fans aren't off limits.

Why not host a day where season ticket holders can come in and do some of the "chill" drills with the Cardinal coaching staff? Give the season ticket holders full run of the facility the Fans pay for. Just be cool, you know?

Do some throwing/running drills, play some flag football. Listen to how the coaches coach by getting coached by them, make it a real experience. Maybe even get a Tshirt. :D

I think it would inspire some of the people that are still on the fence about purchasing season tickets. I can't afford them but if the building is just sitting there, and so are the coaches, and the Fans got nothing to do but hate on both sides for taking away our beloved sport...

Friggin lockout. :(

Agreed.

But, I am also tired of how friggin' unbelievably cheap the Bidwills are. It is almost amazing.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Cards should have planned for this and banked some money to keep these folks on. I know personally I bank money in case any thing bad happens to me.

They did by slashing salaries by like $30+ mil...Mr B can't feed his need for ice cream with that? :bang:

I do think I read somewhere that some or all of the $$$ will be paid back to the employees at some point when work resumes.

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
What income source has been hit as of today? Revenue is ticket sales (and parking), concessions, tv contracts, and merchandise. Aren't all of these (except mechandise) real season streams? None of that has started nor been affected by the "lockout." And all of that will presumably be on par with the revenue of last season once the lockout ends. Sounds like a banner year from a cost v/s revenue standpoint since revenue has not been impacted (yet) and they're already slashing costs. Is this ownership hedging their bets that the season will be impacted?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys wanted change in the front office and you got it. I'm sure this is Mike Bidwill's idea and not the old man's. MB is an attorney and he lives by the letter of the contract. This is the way the contracts were drawn up. If you didn't like it, you shouldn't have signed the contract.

It's business, pure and simple.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Just another person bagging on the Cards just to bag on the Cards. When in reality five teams off the top of my head actually straight up fired, laid offed/ right sized what ever you want to call it the week they invoked the lockout months ago. The Jets being one of them. Cards and Dolphins also are not the only ones invoking a week long furlough, yet the media only wants to inconsistently report on just these two teams. Why is that? Because the headline Jets fire 18 employees to brace for lockout just doesn't sound as cool as a Cards are cheap headline.